Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-14, 8:56am
Missing presumed fed

Default The advantages of Elvis

At an Open Torch last weekend, one of my friends who's mostly a soft glass worker said she was looking for a good boro transparent red, and I said I'd heard good things about Elvis. I've realized since then that I have a general sense that people like it, but don't really know why. Soooooo -- if you like Elvis red, what do you like about it? If you don't, why not?

Another friend reminded me that in a marbles class with Chris Rice a year ago (nice guy, great class), we'd used a non-striking ruby that if we're remembering correctly was Tecnolux (Tecnoboro) Ruby Red. Anybody have any comments/comparisons?

Thanks.
Old 2006-09-14, 9:02am
In search of her path....

I like Elvis becuase its a great Red, They have about 2-3 densitys of the red and you can thin it out to get even more variations of it.

This red I have YET to have go livery on me yet and THAT is why its the best boro red on the market I think. It really just doesnt go livery. At least I havnt had it go lilvery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-09-14, 9:27am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

The rose in my avitar is made from Elvis.
It is the best red I've found yet. I adore it.
The only thing I hate about it is the local store
runs out of stock too quickly <g>.
Best trans red EVAH!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-09-14, 9:45am
ManBearPig

Most transparent reds lose their color in the flame and stay that way until the go back into the kiln. Elvis doesn't. Also, over-kilning most reds will make them go opaque and brownish. Elvis doesn't.

I have some Black Elvis here, but haven't used it yet. From what I hear it's just a more saturated Elvis.

Old 2006-09-14, 11:05am
boro color bender

What everybody else said. It's a non livering true transparent red. You can work the snot out of it and kiln it forfrigginever... it's still red.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-09-14, 11:11am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

so I need Elvis red am I correct?

Old 2006-09-14, 1:41pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
so I need Elvis red am I correct?
Well YEAH! Ya gotta get you some of this stuff. It's on my
"must have boro" list. You will LOVE it Suzanne!
Get one of each - light, dark, med.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-09-14, 5:45pm
boro color bender

I will say this... I had one batch that did go livery. Not sure why and it was only one batch. If it goes livery on you, it was probably that batch and you should be able to return it and buy another batch. It's a fantastic red... a must have for sure.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-09-14, 10:39pm
traumaqueen

Where can I get this wonderfull red, is there someplace where they sell it by 1/4 lb?

thanks a lot!
Suzanne

Old 2006-09-15, 4:16am
Nah, not really...;)

I PM'd you!

Old 2006-09-15, 4:56am
traumaqueen

You are too sweet *hugs*

Old 2006-09-15, 5:26am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
Where can I get this wonderfull red, is there someplace where they sell it by 1/4 lb?

thanks a lot!
Suzanne
I sell it by the 1/4 pound. $12 per 1/4 pound to be exact.

Old 2006-09-15, 6:21am
traumaqueen

Good to know Chad! I like it a lot when I can order different brands in one place, it saves so much on shippingfees for me.

Carrie is sending me a sample of it, and if I like it ( wich I am sure I will) I'll order some more at your place, together with some other must have colors ( like every color available...sigh)

Old 2006-09-15, 4:42pm
AKA Vanna

Why do I like Elvis? Well, first off, I am an immediate satisfaction kind of gal! I HATE waiting until my kiln is done the next day to see what I have. With all of the other reds you have to wait! Did I tell you that I hate to wait? LOL

I never boils, it's great for spacers as well as more complex beads, I can't make it liver and well...I like the name! (So does my 6 year old!)

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-16, 11:04pm

Me too! It's the most reliable red I've found and I reach for it most of the time when I want a nice red core bead (but I did manage to make it livery once so don't work it too long in a reducing flame).