Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-06-07, 2:44pm

Default Flashback arrestor

I have been unable to find a flashback arrestor that will fit onto my Cricket torch. Any suggestions? Not terribly impressed with my local welding supply guys. They're very nice and want to help but I can tell they think I am nuts lol. I get the whole you do what? and the looks that say girls shouldn't play with fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-07, 3:14pm
Alaska Boro

One can either add a flashback to the torch side or to the regulator side. This is an image of the flashback installed on the regulator side. This one was purchased at AirGas but other welding supply shops will have similar devices.

Old 2010-06-07, 4:08pm

Well, I think I really need one on the torch side not the regulator side. The torch is in the basement and the propane is outside (25 foot hose). I really would prefer not to have to deal with 25 foot of flaming hose.

Old 2010-06-07, 4:45pm
Alaska Boro

Welding shops sell both types. Either the regulator or torch side.
Old 2010-06-07, 6:58pm
Newb boro fanatic

For a torch side FBA for a barbed torch, you'll just need to get some adapters and short lengths of hose, and set them up so there's some hose attached to where the torch would normally be attached. Another way of describing it would be "converting" the barbed torch to a threaded torch. Your current main hose will need threaded fittings on both ends too, so it can screw into the BFA instead of attaching to the torch via barb.

I think the adapter you'll need is a 1/4" barb on one end with threaded b-fitting on the other. You may also be able to get a quick release version of the adapter. Then 2 hose clamps, and probably some extra hose if you don't want to cut up your current hose and re-attach a threaded fitting.

So you'll end up with: Torch - short hose - barb-to-thread adapter - FBA - main hose - regulator.

Old 2010-06-07, 7:04pm

Aha. I think. I am going to have to re read that when I am a bit more alert I think. Thank you for all of your help. I think then I am going to need to cut a piece of hose and clamp the end onto the torch. Then clamp the barb end of the barb to thread adapter to the short hose. attach the fba, screw on the main hose and then attach other end to the regulator. Did I get that right? Just want to make sure that I am clamping everything that needs to be clamped.

Old 2010-06-07, 7:12pm
Newb boro fanatic

Yep that sounds right

Old 2010-06-07, 7:29pm

Default FBA setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Aha. I think. I am going to have to re read that when I am a bit more alert I think. Thank you for all of your help. I think then I am going to need to cut a piece of hose and clamp the end onto the torch. Then clamp the barb end of the barb to thread adapter to the short hose. attach the fba, screw on the main hose and then attach other end to the regulator. Did I get that right? Just want to make sure that I am clamping everything that needs to be clamped.
This is right. I had to get a couple fittings to make everything work quite right, but the dude at PraxAir was a Godsend! I only needed the FBA for the propane, so he sold me 1/2 the pack, and got the exact right fittings to fit snug. He didn't look at me like I was crazy, but he also had no idea what I was doing!!
If you have a Praxair shop locally, I would definitely suggest them.

Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
They taste funny!!
Old 2010-06-07, 7:56pm

I was their today picking up the hoses and regulator lol Looks like I am going back. I will have to buy a small length of hose then as well as the flash back arrestor. Thanks again for all the help, it would take me forever to figure this out on my own! You guys are great!

Old 2010-06-07, 10:50pm

i wouldent worry about the 25 feet of hose its just a flame now if something happens inbetween hose and reg the propane tank might blow up and the regular bbq tank sized ones leave around 25foot dia. craters so i would really suggest eiother a regulator one or both
Old 2010-06-08, 6:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby31 View Post
This is right. I had to get a couple fittings to make everything work quite right, but the dude at PraxAir was a Godsend! I only needed the FBA for the propane, so he sold me 1/2 the pack, and got the exact right fittings to fit snug. He didn't look at me like I was crazy, but he also had no idea what I was doing!!
If you have a Praxair shop locally, I would definitely suggest them.

I'm glad you were treated with respect, but just so you're aware (and safe) the 'dude' is wrong if you're working off tanked oxygen - you need both in that case. If you have a flashback event, the probability is higher, because of how dual fuel torches are constructed, that the flashback will travel up the oxygen side. You DON'T want to have an un-protected O2 tank any more than an unprotected propane tank! I had a flashback with my trusty minor, and was very glad I had them in place on both the oxygen and propane sides: the O2 flashback was the one that blew.... As noted, if you have long hoses, it's best to have them as close to the torch as possible. Shutting the flashback down at the point of origin saves the hoses and helps keep the 'event' from expanding.

If you're working off an oxycon, which doesn't store the O2 as it's produced, it's not considered necessary for personal safety, but some folks take the small hit in pressure/flow to protect the unit itself as a hedge against possible damage.

Linda
Old 2010-06-08, 8:03am

I do have an oxycon, thanks to the generosity of one of the local lampworkers here on LE (who is a total angel by the way) so that should be okay. I will be putting this together tomorrow I think as soon as I have all the pieces and parts.

Old 2010-06-17, 4:27am

Hi if you haven't gotten your Flashbacks yet Ross at ABR sells them.