Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-09-24, 11:53am
TMMCG

Smile Upgrade my torch

Hi all! I am a fairly new lampworker (1 year). Currently I am rocking my Hot Head torch but I think I am interested in upgrading. I work with soft glass but would love to try my hand at Boro. My beads are on the small to medium size. I have a limited budget and do not want to spend thousands of dollars. Any suggestions? Also, can anyone reccomend a kiln where I could anneal my beads and possibly do small fusing projects in? Thank you all !
Old 2010-09-24, 11:59am
honorary bead lady

Cricket and http://jenkenkilns.com/af3pbeadannealer.aspx

but you are still gona spend almost a grand! Check the GS here and Craigs list under "glassblowing" and "kilns"
Old 2010-09-27, 8:37am

definitely a Cricket, I just upgraded to one from a hothead about 2 months ago and I totally love it! Haven't tried the boro yet but have been told you can do boro on a cricket, just not a gigantic bead lol. I got my kiln from Mike at the GlassHive (he's here on LE, check the for sale section) and totally love it! I think he does layaway too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-27, 12:58pm
Happy Beadmaker!

I've got a brand-new Nortel Minor, regulator and hoses in the Garage Sale right now -- good prices I believe!

~
~
~
Old 2010-09-30, 8:17am

I have a mini cc, minor, cricket and a lynx. The torch I use the most is the mini cc. I use tanked oxygen but if you are going to use a concentrator then the cricket is the way to go.
Old 2010-09-30, 9:01am
TMMCG

Thank you for all of your replies. It seems I have some research to do!
Old 2010-09-30, 9:06am
Macaw Mamma

I LOVE My Bobcat for soft glass and small Boro pieces

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2010-09-30, 10:27am
Newbie. I still suck. :)

Dont go under a Nortel Red Max for power. Its what I have now, and I dearly dream of a GTT Phantom/Mirage.

With a Red Max you'll get around 38-40mm extra hvy wall tubing melting no problem and about 2" for marbles max. Its a great torch for $475 from Mountain Glass Arts and almost everywhere else sells it too.
Old 2010-10-02, 7:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovice View Post
Dont go under a Nortel Red Max for power.
I disagree, because I think most people here have no interest in making anything bigger than a large bead.

Last edited by dusty; 2010-10-07 at 10:47pm. Reason: courtesy
Old 2010-10-02, 7:50pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I upgraded from a HH to a mini CC and I adore my torch. I use tanked Oxy. I have read in several places that the Cricket is better if you are going to use a concentrator.

My kiln is a Paragon Caldera that I actually won on eBay for just under $400 from someone in Ohio who had purchased it with a bead door and controller and all and then never got around to beadmaking. If I had do-overs I'd go with Glasshive kilns. Fighting with the little bead door opening on the Caldera now that I make lots of beads in a sitting is getting really irritating.

Old 2010-10-03, 6:38am

There is a Paragon Kiln for sale in the Garage Sale for $200. It would be great for starting out and she dropped the price. DanG
Old 2010-10-03, 12:30pm
Somebody's watching me!

i can't imagine going smaller than a bobcat if you want to try boro out..maybe youll get in to pendants and what not to go with your beads. im sure a cricket would do boro just dandy, but i've worked on a bobcat before and i really really enjoyed it. good luck!

Old 2010-10-30, 7:11am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Crickets and a 10 lpm oxycon are just fine with smaller boro pieces, but if you want to work boro with more mass in a reasonable amount of time, you'll need to scale up.