LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-25, 2:52pm

Default Question about brass and enameling and more stuff like that.

So, I know brass is not good for torch enameling. Unfortunately I have loads of it. Lovely pieces that I won't use because they are brass and I'm not that fond of using brass in jewelry.

Since I cannot torch enamel it, and with all of the amazing nail polishes that are out there, I used the polish to paint my brass findings. the result is wonderful but....do you think it would be durable?

Also, I would love to have some tips on the enameling too if anyone would like to share what they do.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-25, 4:46pm

I don't know about enameling or anything like that. Maybe the alcohol inks? They're pretty. Lisa has some nice colors in her starter set. And I love brass findings for jewelry, especially vintage. My inner magpie wants to see yours. lol

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229118

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2012-08-25 at 4:47pm. Reason: add link
Old 2012-08-25, 4:54pm

I'll show you mine if you show me yours LOL!

Old 2012-08-25, 5:29pm

Tease! I'll try and round it up and take a pic of some findings and bracelets later or in the morning.

Old 2012-08-25, 6:57pm
Queen Bee

I've just started fooling around with alcohol inks on some of the raw brass pieces I sell - I have had mixed results. If you put on just a little of the inks, it doesn't have much effect in coloring the pieces. I then tried pooling the ink on the piece, letting it dry, then buffing gently to bring out some of the brass highlights. It's pretty cool, and you can use all kinds of colors I'll try to snap a pic so you can get an idea. It's fun to play around with.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-08-25, 7:04pm

Yay! Thank you both. I look forward to seeing the pics. I just bought the book "Torch Fired Enamel Jewelry" by Barbara Lewis. I'm going to look at it tonight

Old 2012-08-25, 7:22pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I'll show you mine if you show me yours LOL!
How come that never seems to pan out?
Old 2012-08-25, 8:17pm

Old 2012-08-25, 8:27pm

Cynthia, anytime you want a lesson on enameling, come on down, I've been doing cloisonne and champleve for years and years. Brass is no good for enameling because the zinc in it out gasses creating unsightly bubbles and discolorations.

Nikki

Old 2012-08-25, 8:29pm

If you like torch fired enamel, have a look at Deborah Lozier's work, she is amazing!

Nikki

Old 2012-08-25, 8:30pm

Nikki, you are right down the road? Thank you for the offer. I don't even know what champleve is LOL. You would be starting me in Kindergarten. Yes, too bad brass isn't good. I have a disgusting amount of it but I have lots of copper and silver base metal too.

Old 2012-08-26, 6:10am

So no brass torch enameling at all? Copper is ok? Does it have to be bright copper? I tried to enamel a bead that had a patina and it all just cracked right off. How do people do it so beautifully? I bought some enameled copper flowers the other day and they are just gorgeous...will post a pic...

Last edited by truegem; 2012-08-26 at 6:16am.
Old 2012-08-26, 6:16am

Here they are...again, I did not enamel these, I bought them. Aren't they lovely? Wish I could do this...

Old 2012-08-26, 7:17am
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Here they are...again, I did not enamel these, I bought them. Aren't they lovely? Wish I could do this...

You do realize how easy this is don't you? They are copper discs that someone took a pliers to and waved them. Best thing would be to heat a copper disc in your torch to anneal the copper and then it will be much softer.

Here is a great forum that has LOTS of information. Its the dip method of torch enameling. I use my Cricket to torch enamel. It's really easy.

http://paintingwithfire.ning.com/

Old 2012-08-26, 7:43am

Yes Deb. I just bought her book and I'm reading through it now.

Ok, so I signed up at that website but I have to be approved. Damn, I hope
I pass

I'm going to do some nail polish enameling tomorrow. I'll post some pictures
of what I come up with.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2012-08-26 at 7:48am.
Old 2012-08-26, 9:15am

Cynthia, we are in Petaluma. No problem on the level of knowledge, you already have artistic talent and a feel for how glass behaves

Nikki

Old 2012-08-26, 9:20am

Deb is right, the flowers are a very straight forward form. A lot of torch enameling is done on copper. One of the down sides of copper is that is oxidizes, and the enamel will not stick if there are any oxides or chemical impurities on the metal. A good pickle bath followed by scrubbing with pumice under running water is usually enough to get a good surface. A great test is if the water sheets off of the metal, if it beads up or pulls back in any places those are spots that need more cleaning.

Nikki

Old 2012-08-26, 9:29am

Oh for heaven sake, you really are right down the road. For some reason I though you were in the south bay. We should get together and torch one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki2kats View Post
Cynthia, we are in Petaluma. No problem on the level of knowledge, you already have artistic talent and a feel for how glass behaves

Nikki

Old 2012-08-26, 9:54am

Hi all, Thanks Deb for putting the word out about www.paintingwithfire.ning.com. I'd like to invite you all to join. I accept anyone who has a valid email address. It my way of protecting the members' email addresses from spammers.

We have a great group. Very friendly members willing to help. The immersion method of torch-firing, which is the technique I teach, eliminates the need for cleaning the metal or using an adhesive, like Klyr-fire. It's very fast, easy, safe, and affordable. It's much like lampworking in that we work on a mandrel with the torch attached to the table. All of the projects in my book were fired with a portable inexpensive torch, but when I'm in my studio, I use a Carlisle Mini CC. I'll be teaching at the Glass Expo, Las Vegas in April for those interested in taking a workshop ... or just stop by and say "hello!"

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. I'm waiting for Hurricane Isaac to hit the Gulf Coast so if I lose power, I'll get back to you! Barbara
Old 2012-08-26, 12:19pm

Cynthia, would love to get together and torch!

Nikki

Old 2012-08-26, 12:39pm
sunscreen me baby

I want to make those too Patti!

~

Old 2012-08-26, 5:03pm

Oh those flowers look like fun.
Old 2012-08-26, 6:43pm
Mr Brutus RIP

barbara, I'm a member. Would LOVE to take a class but rarely ever get to st pete (and I hate driving) but maybe someday!!

Old 2012-08-26, 6:44pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Deb, I get that part of the flower but are the headpins (centers) seperate? or attached somehow?

sue

Old 2012-08-26, 9:51pm

Hi Barbara. Welcome to LE. I absolutely LOVE your book. I had mixed results today just because I didn't know what I was enameling. Some Items I knew were copper, some I had no idea. All I was sure of is that they were not brass.

Here is something I made up just for my first try at all of this. I made a glass "pod" and hung my components onto it. Only one of pieces is enameled. The rest were brass so I tried nail polish. I have to get some copper and iron findings to continue on with the enameling. The picture is not so great. I just took it on the table with bad lighting with my phone

Old 2012-08-26, 10:27pm

Cynthia, I wish my projects that turn out with "mixed results" looked even half as good as yours, not to mention first attempts! I love your pod with your mixed results!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2012-08-26, 10:37pm

Thank you Angela.

Old 2012-08-26, 11:04pm
Uh Oh....

The piece you made is really nice. You'll have to see how well the nail polish will work. Another way to add color to brass is use Prismacolor pencils on metal. It's a whole process and might be difficult on those ornate pieces. I think someone posted the instructions on LE. Have to go look for them and find the link.

Brass is an alloy and the zinc contents determines if it can be enameled or not. If the zinc content is less than 5% then it can be enameled. It's what they use for some costume jewelry that has enamel on it. The tensile strength is somewhat higher than all copper which is a plus too. Most likely the brass you have has about 15% zinc in it so it's not suitable for enameling. The only way to really know is to test it.

Old 2012-08-26, 11:13pm

Thank you for that information Susan. The enamel chipped off of the brass peices so I'm sure you are right about the zinc content. The nail polish is very thin and only one layer. I tried to pick it off with my nail and it is really on there. I'm going to wear this around a
Nd see how it goes.

I was also looking at Guilders paste. Has anyone used it?

Old 2012-08-26, 11:27pm
Uh Oh....

You're welcome. I've never used Gilder's paste. I just found out about this stuff by Ranger. It's for metal, specifically Vintaj brass. Here's the link: http://rangerink.com/?product=vintaj-patinas
I've never used it - yet. Not sure how different it is from Metal Me This - Lisa's product. Looks interesting though.....