Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-08-29, 10:06am

Default selling everything

jumped in way over my head, this boro bead making thing is more then I can chew I guess I should have studied this situation better. Now I'm selling everything. Only less then 2 months old.....

JenKen AF Kiln, the extra tall one with larger bead door and top loading door, has Orton Digi controller
make an offer, I bought for 750.00

Sequal Integra 10 OxyCon, just bought that 4 weeks ago, make an offer, I bought it for 1200.00

Nortel Midrange Torch with NO top burner, will include all hoses and flashbacks, regulators(2) and approx. 8 pounds of Boro Glass rod from NorthStar, Glass Alchemy, Momka, Precision and lastly approx. 6 pounds of assorted Simax rods.....any offer is just fine.

I live in CT, I can also ship, still have original box for OxyCon.

Brenda
you may pm
Old 2006-08-29, 10:12am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default Hi Brenda!

Sorry to hear that this wasn't for you! Have you tried the "Soft Glass"??
You might find that it is easier to start with...and you can use a lot of the same equipment!! I don't have much in the way of glass, but I would be happy to send you some sample rods to play with. You can at least see if you like it better!!

Just think about it before you sell of everything!!

If you do decide to get rid of all of it, try moving this post to the Garage Sale section. Lots of people will see it there, and you should get a really good response.

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-08-29, 10:37am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Awe Brenda .. dont give up ! Something inside you wanted to do this . You just need to find that desire again .
Michelle has an excellent Idea with the soft glass !

Blessings

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-08-29, 10:51am
ManBearPig

What is it you don't like about it? Have you tried taking a lesson from someone who knows boro? I would be glad to show you anything I know (or anyone else for that matter) if you came to my shop, or arrange for me to get to your place.

If you do decide to go ahead and get rid of it (although I don't think you should) send me a list of what glass you have and I'll take it from you.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2006-08-29 at 10:55am.
Old 2006-08-29, 11:17am

I hope you do'nt want to get rid of it just because you thing you can't do it,you are still in a learningstage...don't expect to become a glassartist overnight.
Sleep over it for a few days...if you still think the same way...I'll be interested in some boro glass.

Old 2006-08-29, 11:57am
The Venerable Bead

brenda where in CT are you? why don't you come and visit me in RI before you really decide to give it up. I can show you a few things and talk to you about the "hurdles' you are facing. If it's just the learning curve please don't give up. If it's family problems or financial issues well I guess that's another issue. tell us what's wrong cause there's a whole forum of beautiful people here to help you through it.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-08-29, 12:04pm
ManBearPig

Oh, and Tin City Glass is in CT too isn't it? They have all kinds of classes there.

Old 2006-08-29, 4:10pm
daughter and I

I suggest trying the soft glass also.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-08-29, 5:51pm
boro color bender

You people need to quit encouraging her to stay in this evil glass working world. I offered her $1.92 for everything and she's seriously considering it. Back off you helpful kind people.

JK... really, you should try it a bit longer if you don't need the cash. When you "get it", you'll love it!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-30, 12:06am
Custom Bead Maker

Cool

Hi Brenda, I hope you listen to the experience here and try soft glass. It really is different. My husband loves Boro and I am a soft glass girl all the way, I would have never gotten hooked on the boro and probably would have the same feelings you are having now. You have some amazing equipment to work on! Equipment that most lampworkers, especially beginners would drool over, so do try the soft glass before you throw in the towel, it is very different and very rewarding.
Aloha, Chris

Old 2006-08-30, 2:23am

Hi Brenda,
Ultimately, you have to do what is right for you. If you do decide to go the soft glass route, maybe we could work out a trade. Moretti/Vetrofond/Lauscha for your colored and clear boro. If you live in central or eastern CT, you wouldn't have to ship the glass, I'm a neighbor in RI. We could make arrangements to meet up.
Good luck with your decision.
Kim V

Old 2006-08-30, 9:36am
Missing presumed fed

And it seems like you're doing a lot better with the boro that I am, and I've been working soft glass for six years. (I suck at boro.)

Giving up at this stage is completely ridiculous and you shouldn't be allowed to do it. Either keep plugging away at the boro, or put the boro away for a while and play with soft glass. I wouldn't get rid of the boro yet, because you'll probably want to go back to it sometimes even if you decide that you like soft glass. Getting the boro colors can be maddening, and most of the time you don't have those issues with soft glass. (Notice, though, that we're falling all over ourselves to get the silver-loaded soft glass like the Double Helix and R4 glass so we can torment ourselves just like we would if we were working boro.) If you want to stick with boro, you could postpone the color issues for a while and either work with the WYSIWYG colors or do sculptural stuff and work strictly in clear for a while.

Take a class, or take advantage of some of the offers to get some tips or just schmooze with some more experienced glassworkers. This isn't easy stuff, and you don't have to do it alone. This forum isn't real heavily frequented by boro workers. If there's nobody here who's close enough for you to visit, maybe someone here can link you up with a forum where you might find someone closer.

Quitting? Not an option. Forget it!

(Damn, we're altruistic. Do you know how much people love to get their hands on used equipment? We should have stripped you to bleached bones by now.)
Old 2006-08-30, 10:43am

Brenda! Don't stop! Remember all the reasons you wanted to work with glass? They are all still there in your heart. It seems that after we are really down on our beads, we suddenly do something wonderful. It will happen to you too.

May I suggest you post a new thread in the Family Room asking for a mentor or a lampwork buddy near you. Let me know if you want some soft glass and I'll send some to you.

Emily, I love your comment! 'Damn, we're altruistic. Do you know how much people love to get their hands on used equipment? We should have stripped you to bleached bones by now.' Ain't it the truth!
Old 2006-08-30, 11:21am

I vote do give another form of glass a whirl before you pack up. I don't have a lot but I'd send you some basic soft glass if you'd like.
Old 2006-08-30, 12:06pm
Type ZZZ personality

Yeah, we're altruistic... how many PM'd her on the sly to offer to buy her stuff? Huh? fess up!

I thought about it but didn't. Guess I'm only partially altruistic!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-08-30, 1:18pm

I really went through a lot of trial and tribulation learning boro and I think you would enjoy it more if you put the color on clear to play with it - it will melt much faster (not as fast as soft glass) and it will be lighter and possibly prettier than some of the colors you are working with.

I also vote for you not giving up - if you look at Doug Remschneider's CD I think it will make sense to you and you'll enjoy it!
Old 2006-09-06, 10:15am
Too Hot for my Torch

I want to take advantage, buuuut you have a great set up. Try small first. Don't try hollow work for a while, turn on the torch and play! use clear to learn form, then mess around with color. Really it can be fun honest, just don't try to make your self into supreme lampworker of the year too quickly! I wanna get there first!
Really it will bug you for years if you give up too soon! Set up a schedual. An hour at the torch or more, than something you kick ass at! The more is my fav. Especialy when you've tried to get a color to strike, and you've either not gotten it there or cooked it to hell and back for months, then just as your ready throw in the tile you stop thinking and it happens. Oooh just nifty. Please try.
The day we understand; everything that's going on, everything we're doing, and all that has come before; will most likely be the day we die. Otherwise we'll tell the world and then what will people do with their free time?
Old 2006-09-07, 5:41pm

Wait Brenda!! We are having a Boro 101 class here in Branford, CT in early December. You might want to take it before you quit. Andrew Day-Sinclair is teaching it and he rocks! (Zenartglass.com) He's been working a lot with the Momka's palette lately and we will be teaching the class with that! Believe me glass is really addictive! I had a slow start too as there was no one around for advice. Heck I didn't even have enough oxygen to get a round bead but didn't know that and thought it was me! We also teach a beginner soft glass class once a month...There are also a few boro cd's and books out that might help. Of course there is nothing like having a live, breathing teacher next to you!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-09-07, 5:53pm
I am on FIRE!!!

Wink Dont Stop!!!!!!

Dont give up. If you want some soft glass to try I will be happy to send you some Bullseye rods and frit. TOMORROW Well what do you say.... I have a whole sample box of frit unopened for you .... What color rods would you like to try..Halloween colors they are FUN and Bright.......

My mom (Craftymisskim) hada hard time with boro and is working soft now and loves it. She said she will try later with the boro but soft glass is easer for her right now.

Glassbrats.com
Old 2006-09-07, 6:05pm

Hey is this Brenda S that I already taught in the Beginner class??
Good Grief. I didn't know you were going right to boro!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-09-07, 6:21pm

yes do try soft glass. I tried Boro and hated it. Hated everything about it. the way it moved, the way it worked. even the smell of it. hated the way the glass felt in my hand. hated fuming... hated the look of fuming... just everything. I had been sure I'd like it. I didn't. Soft glass on the other hand I do love. Gave away the boro and continued with soft glass. can't hurt to try a few rods and see if its for you. After all you can sell out later if you like...

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-09-08, 5:47pm

Hi Brenda,
You might want to try a more boro friendly torch such as a Linx or Barracuda and tanked oxygen. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-09-08, 6:02pm
Missing presumed fed

Just posting the link to Brenda's follow-up thread so anybody who runs across this can see how well a little bit of hanging in there paid off (except we're still waiting for those pictures . . . )

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32495