No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-08-23, 7:33pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
When you get an air compressor, you need to check for 2 things (none of which you mentioned):

1) Max Pressure & volume

Usually, it'll say something like:

120 psi @ 5 cfpm,
90 psi @ 8 cfpm

What this means is that it can put out 8 cubic feet per minute at 90 psi, but only 5 cubic feet per minute at 120 psi.

2) Check the rated duty cycle. This tells you: how long can you run the thing continuously. Many smaller compressors have something like only a 15-20% duty cycle. This means you run it for 2 minutes, then have to let them rest for 8 minutes.

Hypothetical example:
Your 60 gallon tank equals about 227 liters. If your air-burning torch uses 15 liters/minute, you'll drain the tank in 15 minutes. How long would you compressor need to run to re-fill it? If it takes 10 minutes to re-fill the tank, you will have the compressor running over 66% of the time. You'd burn out your compressor if it was only rated at a 20% duty cycle.

Like I said, most compressors are designed for high PRESSURE, not high VOLUME. You need to select a compressor for your needs just like you would any other tool.

Malcolm
Yup - it is 10.3 at 135 psi (which is max psi) and 11.3 at 90 - and is 100% continuous duty . I am buying it to run my new sandblaster. I new toys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-08-23, 8:03pm
Trying to Hope!

I still want the name to one of these torches please and if possible where to buy one? It might be worth it to buy one to use for soft glass I already have a huge shop compresser thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-08-23, 10:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
I still want the name to one of these torches please and if possible where to buy one? It might be worth it to buy one to use for soft glass I already have a huge shop compresser thanks
If you are looking for the Japanese style torches, I carry them.

If you are looking for the Bohemian style torch, I only know of one source in Europe, and I am working with them to carry them here in the States.

Contact me if you want any more info.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-08-23, 11:26pm

I guess I should have paid more attention to this thread. I was in Prague two weeks at the end of July. I may get back there or to Germany in a few months, but then I could just as likely be in Australia. I never know. If I get back to Europe, I'll give you a PM Malcom about the company to see if I can pick one of those torches to add to my collection.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.