LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-13, 3:47pm
I wanna go back...

Default ChiliPepper owners: Do you recommend it?

I am a newbie thinking of buying one. Would you recommend one to someone who only wants to anneal beads? I really have no interest in fusing or slumping and don't see myself doing so in the future.

Pros?

Any cons you could share with me?

All my supplies, every single thing, have to be shipped to me so the weight and cost are a major factor (I'm in the middle of nowhere Canada). I can get one shipped to the USA side of the border that I can pick up in early July when I go see a concert in St. Paul. That way I would not pay as much duty/CDN taxes as compared to having it shipped directly to me, but my window of opportunity is small. I have to order next week to make sure it's there on time, so any responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-06-14, 4:52am
Lover of all things color

This is a great question. I have a fusing kiln but need to purchase a bead annealing kiln. Any recomendations for which one is the best, most economical for just annealing. Maybe one that can fuse and anneal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-14, 5:39am

I love my Chili Pepper!
The major reasons I chose the Chilipepper were that it is light weight and only draws 8 amps. I needed to move it each time I torched and only had limited circuits available in my work area. I've had it for 2.5 years. The only problem I had was when the relay went out a few months ago. Relays and elements are parts that just wear out in kilns, so it's a good idea to have a spare on hand. JenKen was quick on shipping the replacement relay and very helpful on installing it. Great bead annealer!
Old 2008-06-14, 5:58am
Lover of all things color

Judi, can you plug the Chilipepper into an extention cord? I had to have a special circuit put in for my fusing kiln and don't have another plug anywhere near where I torch. I use a heavy duty extention cord with one of those bars that you can plug in five things into. I have a fan, light, iPod and crock pot plugged in. Can I plug the CP into this bar.

Anyone know?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-14, 8:27pm
I wanna go back...

Thanks Judi!

I am really leaning heavily towards one for some of the same reasons you have.

Thanks!

Old 2008-06-15, 4:37am
sunscreen me baby

I have two. Love them. I make beads full time and have for almost 4 years. I have worked the same one for the whole time with only one relay replacement.

~

Old 2008-06-15, 6:17am
I wanna go back...

That seals it for me I think. I'll order mine tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Old 2008-06-15, 1:55pm
The Torch Be With You

I just bought my Chili Pepper - - it arrived over a week ago and I have no idea how to use it. The manual that came with it addresses other Jen Kilns, but not the Chili Pepper. Can someone please share with me how they anneal their beads in the Chili Pepper? THANK YOU!
Old 2008-06-15, 5:06pm

I love my chili Pepper, but I too had trouble with the manual. My husband came to my rescue but he had to call Jen Ken for some help. He found them to be helpful...pretty much walked him through it! Good luck!
Old 2008-06-15, 7:14pm
sunscreen me baby

Here is a thread for the Orton controller:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=program+orton
and one for the Bartlett controller:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ogram+bartlett

~

Old 2008-06-15, 10:24pm

Ths Chili's that we are selling at Flamedame are now coming with a pre programmed Orton Controller. The controller has 4 programs in it already with room for 4 more.
I've also been using the Chili since I started and I love it!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-16, 7:15am

I was looking for a portable kiln and was thinking this was it, but it doesn't get hot enough to strike some of the boro colors. Other than that, it looks great.

Mary
Old 2008-06-16, 7:54am
Lampworkaholic!

I have a Chili Pepper and I like it a lot. I managed to figure out how to batch anneal and that is all I have done so far. Once you set the program, you can just run it over and over.

One thing I found to use with it that I love: two small rectangular pyrex baking dishes. The two fit perfectly end to end in the kiln and can go in and out through the bead door, so you don't hit the heating element or insulation.

I always anneal a rod or two of my shocky glass when I run a batch.

Elle
Old 2008-06-16, 9:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass addict View Post
I was looking for a portable kiln and was thinking this was it, but it doesn't get hot enough to strike some of the boro colors. Other than that, it looks great.

Mary
I strike boro colors in it!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-16, 11:15am

Hi Paula!

I thought the max temp was 1100F? Sometimes I strike boro at 1150 or 1200F. What colors are you striking, and at what temps, if you don't mind sharing!

I think the kiln looks great, especially because I was looking to be able to have a small kiln that I could carry outside on my patio with me and not have it be a big production!

Thanks,
Mary
Old 2008-06-16, 5:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass addict View Post
Hi Paula!

I thought the max temp was 1100F? Sometimes I strike boro at 1150 or 1200F. What colors are you striking, and at what temps, if you don't mind sharing!

I think the kiln looks great, especially because I was looking to be able to have a small kiln that I could carry outside on my patio with me and not have it be a big production!

Thanks,
Mary
I've had it up to 1450 which was a mistake when I first programmed it. They tell you to keep it at a certain temperature so that the paint doesn't catch on fire. I've struck boro at 1200 for 15 minutes but I was sure that I stayed in the room just in case.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-16, 7:23pm

Thanks, Paula!

Wow! I really appreciate the info! I would have totally discounted it if I didn't know that!

Mary
Old 2008-06-16, 7:36pm

Welcome Mary!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-17, 7:47pm
I wanna go back...

I ordered my Chili Pepper!

I am so excited to use it as I've made a couple of beads that I really liked and they cracked badly with just the crockpot. I do have a few beginner attempts that I want to keep so once it gets here I'll batch anneal the 'keepers'.

Thanks for all your comments and advice!

I'm getting it delivered to an address on the US side of the border and will either drive down (only 40 minutes away) and get it and pay full taxes (there is no duty on it) or wait to bring it back when I go to Minneapolis in early July for a concert. Then I would only have to pay taxes on a portion of it.

This is going to be fun!

Last edited by agw; 2008-06-17 at 7:50pm.
Old 2008-06-27, 1:17pm
I wanna go back...

I picked it up on Tuesday and today was the first day I had a chance to turn my Chili Pepper on ! It's really exciting! LOL - Really!

I set it to batch anneal and am 25 minutes into the one hour hold at 940 degrees. I brought my laptop into the room with me and am sitting right beside it, babysitting the whole time. I want to make sure there are no problems with heat etc., and most importantly, I want to watch it as it goes through the batch annealing stages to make sure I've programmed it correctly. I just followed the steps in the booklet that came with it and so far, it's been fine.

Tomorrow I will program it to hold while I make the beads using the bead door and go on from there.

I have mainly Moretti rods, some Vetrofond and a few lovely CIM's that I want to play with. What temperature would you experienced folks recommend I set it at while making the beads and then for soaking them afterwards? Would that be the same? The booklet suggests between 940 and 970 f. but that is a pretty wide temperature variance and I'd appreciate your suggestions. I'd really like this first effort to turn out at least a few usable beads.

Thanks!

Old 2008-06-27, 7:41pm

Love our ChiliPepper! We anneal at 968 which is on the high end of what they suggest but works well for us. No complaints what so ever. I love the fact that it look s like a toolbox.
Old 2008-06-28, 4:50am
I wanna go back...

Thanks Shane!

I batch annealed successfully yesterday and will be trying it today to use while I torch. I'll set it at 968 and see how that works for me.

Thanks for your help!

Old 2008-06-28, 5:40am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I love my chilipepper too!! It really holds a lot of beads.

Vivian

-

Old 2008-06-30, 10:07pm

Hi all! My new Chili Pepper just arrived today and I already have beads in it waiting to come out in the morning---I absolutely LOVE this kiln!!! My other kiln has a bead door but it (the door) is small and the door doesn't even shut all the way. The Chili Pepper is just so easy to use and does not take up near as much room as my other one. I couldn't believe how many beads I got into the kiln too! I am just really thrilled with this kiln-don't hesitate to buy one.-Vanessa
Old 2008-09-28, 10:19am

I'm a newbie who is about to fire up my Chilipepper for the first time to batch anneal the beads I've been making for the last two weeks... In my class, the kiln had a mandrel rest. I took my first beads off the mandrel, and there is no rest inside the kiln. How much am I risking ruining my favorite beads by NOT having something to put them on other than the inside fiber blanket? I want to babysit the first go-round, so today's the perfect day! ~Betsy
Old 2008-09-28, 3:28pm
sunscreen me baby

Hi Betsy!

You should be just fine to batch anneal with them directly on the fuzzy floor. The rod rest is great for when they go in glowing red and you don't want to risk getting a mark on your bead, but your beads won't get that hot batch annealing.

~

Old 2008-09-28, 3:42pm

Default Thanks for the tip!

Thanks so much. I really like some of the beads I've been making and didn't want to ruin them with a bad anneal. So far, just working on shapes and consistency, and blending and layers colors... not ready for too many dots, stringers, etc. at the moment, but having so much fun with the basics -- how to create the perfect bi-cone, etc. I'm in Merrimack... not too far from Exeter. Have you found a decent local supplier with a storefront? I'd love to have a place to go to see what all the glass options are, etc. ~Betsy
Old 2008-09-28, 3:54pm

Ooooh, I'm interested in the answer to that question. It would be awesome to have a local supplier. I'm in Nashua and we do have the "Bead Room" on West Hollis Street. She sells beads, finding, etc... I did notice that she carries a smidgen of glass...I think Moretti, but when I say "smidgen, I mean next to nothing!!! When it comes to glass, I rely on most of the vendors mentioned on LE: Frantz, Moretti & More, etc... I'm jealous of anyone that can just drive to their local supplier/vendor!
Old 2008-10-31, 2:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Ths Chili's that we are selling at Flamedame are now coming with a pre programmed Orton Controller. The controller has 4 programs in it already with room for 4 more.
I've also been using the Chili since I started and I love it!
Paula
Would you happen to know how the performance of the new, metal-sheathed element in a ChiliPepper compares to the performance of the old quartz-sheathed element? The same or ???