Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-04-04, 5:29pm
Covered in glitter

Default I'm skeered...

I almost don't even want to do 104 anymore. I love boro! Unfortunately I have the most amazing amount of 104 to use. I don't WANT to be a boro chick. I actually dream in boro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-04, 5:36pm

Don't be skeert...it's beautiful stuffs! I have a little bit of 104...gobs of 96. but the boro hits keep on comin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-04, 5:39pm
Biscuit Lover

Hmm, if you are dreaming in boro, you may already BE a boro chick.

I'm sure *someone* would buy your 104
Old 2010-04-04, 5:46pm
Borovangelist

Yup. Welcome aboard. Are you collecting powders yet?

|
|
Old 2010-04-04, 6:07pm
Covered in glitter

No powders yet...what do they do?

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-04, 6:25pm
ManBearPig

Same as frit, only smaller. I use them to coat pieces to color them. I also use them on things that I want to have texture. Roll in multiple layers of powder, but don't melt them in all the way.

A lot of my geode style paperweights and pendants have a layer of powder on the outside of them.

Old 2010-04-04, 6:33pm
Covered in glitter

Ahhh...I think I used something yesterday. Unfortunately I burned the hell out of it because I did try to melt it in all the way. I'll try it again.

Old 2010-04-04, 6:41pm
Senior Moment

Don't worry.....there are many of us that are HG/SG (hard glass/soft glass). Society is accepting of us. Just don't tell your Grandmother!

Old 2010-04-04, 8:13pm

I did soft glass today after more than 6 months of boro. Shhhh! Don't tell anybody.

Old 2010-04-04, 8:47pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
Don't worry.....there are many of us that are HG/SG (hard glass/soft glass). Society is accepting of us. Just don't tell your Grandmother!
Hi, my name is Debbie.......and I'm an SG/HG user. Ok, I'm OUTTED! Actually, (and this has come up before) I'm Tri-glassual too, 104, 96 and boro. I must admit I have neglected my 96 lately (except for a couple of weeks ago when I accidentally tried to make a stringer out of 96 frit over boro clear.......must remember to label those clear rods......) but I'm sure if I started buying some 96 silver glass I would probably use it more!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-04-04, 9:03pm

Hi, I was a soft glass girl for 3 years, but for the last 8 months I have only used boro.
I tried my soft glass again recently, & it shattered everywhere. I decided then that
I am definately a boro girl & proud of it. So I sold all my soft glass & used the money
I made to buy more boro rods. Love the boro - it's great colors & so easy to work
with. BUT best of all is how easy it is to totally re-work a item if you are unhappy
with the way it turned out. Just pop it in the kiln again & then reshape it.
Great stuff.
Old 2010-04-04, 9:39pm

I've never met a COE I didn't like.
It's all good!

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2010-04-04, 9:48pm

I use both too. have for some time.

Old 2010-04-05, 2:28am

Yup. I have gone to the dark side, but can't justify selling any 104 because even if I just make spacers with it, it's worth more that way than what I could sell it for.

I like boro because it's really kinda hard to mess up! I feel more successful.

But.. secretly.. I've always wanted to try Satake!

Old 2010-04-05, 8:47am
Covered in glitter

LOL! I don't feel so alone now. I do have to say that I haven't got burned since I switched to boro--none of that shocky crap going on...that's really nice.

AAARRRRGHGHGHGHGHGHG! I didn't SWITCH to boro...I have to quit thinking like that! Lori I'm like you--way too much 104 to justify selling. I need to use the stuff. I do love it but I'm fascinated with boro.

Old 2010-04-05, 9:31am
Gone Fishing!

What I do is work a couple hours in boro and then when my kiln ramps down to soft glass temp, I would a couple hours of soft.. that way I am playing with the best of both worlds.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2010-04-05, 10:38am
one day at a time

I will probably stick with soft glass too, Deb. I have too many years already invested in it, and my boro colors will probably look like poop for a while.

So I might get the shaping of beads to be okay, because I love the slower flow and the stiffness. I think I will have much better control than I do with soft glass. Now, the colors....it's going to be an adventure!
Old 2010-04-05, 11:03am
ManBearPig

Just so everyone knows...

You can work both borosilicate and other glass at the same time. 960 is enough heat to keep borosilicate from cracking. In our shop, many times we have had someone working on borosilicate and someone else working soft glass. They put them both into the same 960 degree kiln. Once the pieces are cooled, the borosilicate pieces go through a proper annealing/striking cycle.

I wouldn't do this if you have large borosilicate pieces, but for beads and pendants, it works fine.

Old 2010-04-05, 12:43pm
Covered in glitter

Cosmo we do that at the studio where I torch. We have 2 kilns and sometimes will fire one up for boro and one for 104 but a lot of the time we just do it at 960. I will do my boro pieces at home then. It works out great.

Old 2010-04-05, 1:44pm
Type ZZZ personality

Ya'll might as well face reality and give up the 104!

Bwahahahaha!! The dark side claims 2 more!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-04-05, 11:39pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio View Post
Ya'll might as well face reality and give up the 104!

Bwahahahaha!! The dark side claims 2 more!
LOL!!
Old 2010-04-06, 9:39am
Button Queen

Yup, another bi-glassual person here...! I LOVES my boro, but I have lots of Bullseye and 96 also. I did manage to get out of 104 - almost. I still have some corals, but I find I just use them for the base and then put 96 frit on them...

I find every time that I go back to soft glass that I get impatient with all the glass-popping that happens. I've gotten spoiled by boro.
Old 2010-04-06, 12:12pm

i have always used both, each different applications. sometimes its the projects color that determines what glass to use, 104 has so many better colors. if i do beads i use 104, if i want to incorporate metal in the glass i use 104. if i need to make really big things im reheating a bunch of times or bracelets or chain link or something that needs to be sturdy like bottle stoppers or serving spoons and forks i use boro. so no need to panic! if you want to sell any 104 im sure you will find people that want it.
Ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-04-06, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
Yup, another bi-glassual person here...!
I love it.