No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-08-20, 7:12pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Default Propane regulator wonky

My flame went "inconsistent" today...nice fine flame then bushy than back and forth every few seconds. When I was done with beads I took the regulator off and turned the T knob and it shot up to 20 psi and let out a gasp...when I turned the knob right down. Bear in mind that it wasn't connected to anything at this point. Is it kaput or could it be the heat? I had the tank blocked off from the sun but it is pretty damn hot out here regardless of the shade.

Thanks,
Janet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-08-20, 7:51pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hot out here where I work too, and I have had two fail after 6 months each. I have been getting the more inexpensive ones, and went for one with a warranty this time. It does sound like it's the problem.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-08-21, 1:36am

Janet, it's probably heat, especially if your regulator does not have excess flow valve built in, it's hot and your tank is full (or close to that). Also if for some reason it was filled with more gas than it should be. But you need to test it under normal temperatures to ensure it works properly.

If you have to expose the tank to high temperatures it is better to have a regulator with the excess flow valve, it blocks the flow if it exceeds the preset max level.
Old 2016-08-21, 1:08pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Janet, it's probably heat, especially if your regulator does not have excess flow valve built in, it's hot and your tank is full (or close to that). Also if for some reason it was filled with more gas than it should be. But you need to test it under normal temperatures to ensure it works properly.

If you have to expose the tank to high temperatures it is better to have a regulator with the excess flow valve, it blocks the flow if it exceeds the preset max level.
Thanks! It's a bit cooler today and I have to torch so I'll see if it's any better. I'm planning on upgrading my whole torch set up so it will have to do for now, cooler weather is coming!

Janet

Old 2016-08-21, 1:09pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Hot out here where I work too, and I have had two fail after 6 months each. I have been getting the more inexpensive ones, and went for one with a warranty this time. It does sound like it's the problem.
Yeah...I'm hanging on until I can upgrade everything. Fall is coming so I think all will be good, thanks for the info.

Janet

Old 2016-08-21, 1:50pm

Janet, good luck

But when you plan your upgrade please think about the regulator first - it is your safe output and it must be under control without any doubts at all. It is a bit more expensive - yes, but comparing to your life it is nothing.
Old 2016-08-22, 3:33am
Phill

Aye, there is a rubber membrane in the regulator as well as various O rings and they can deteriorate just from age.

The more expensive kinds can be worth the cost of rebuilding where as the cheaper one just get tossed.
Old 2016-08-26, 12:36pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Yes! It was the heat! The weather has been cooler and my flame is back to normal, thanks everyone for the tips!

Janet

Old 2016-08-26, 9:07pm
Phill

You could try putting a bucket upside down over the regulator to keep the worst of the direct sunlight off the metal parts.

There are some pretty tiny springs and levers inside those things and just a little heat expansion can make them act weird.