LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-09, 10:23am

Default Lentil presses

I saw another thread about presses and was going to comment there but thought it better over here.

I had made the post on the ISGB that when it comes to lentils I think the word press is misleading.

I use zooziis ..in my opinion the best...

and I do not PRESS lentils.

I get best results using the parts of the press to SHAPE the bead.
When the press doesn't have straight outer edges it is harder to PRESS the shape.

The tab press is a good example. You can't go wrong with a tab press...the glass spreads out to the straight sides, is contained and evenly distributed. If you dont' have enough it is very easy to reheat add more glass and press again. With the right amount of glass it will always come out perfect.

I mentioned this to Zoozii last year and that the problem with lentils is that the area around the bead hole needs to have straight sides...and I see she has one now.

OK I digressed... (who would'a thunk it?!)

When making lentils I do 1 of two things...I used to press to a tab first...because I knew the glass would fill out and end up in a perfectly shaped bead ...with all the glass properly distributed I would then re-heat and press the lentil... (tab needs to be one smaller that the lentil size of the finish bead...the point is that you have all the glass evenly distributed before you press)

Now I no longer do that... I don't press lentils wth my lentil press...

I pick up the top when my gather is the right length on the mandrel and it is hot enough to move (not soupy...but soft) Holding the top upside down,
I lay the gather in the appropriate indentation and let it SETTLE then turn it over. If i need more glass one place or another etc...I can add it or even take it away. All you need to do is gently reheat until you have the shape you want in the top of the press.

by letting your lentils (because of the narrow edges...) settle into the top you can see the shape develop and make sure all the glass is where you need it.

I only press lentils at the very end when all is distributed evenly and just right...then the last thing I do is heat lightly and then PRESS for a finishing touch and to make sure everything is evenly distributed.

If you make perfect lentil you don't need this.

ONE MORE THING...

when making normal beads I never marver a round bead on a flat marver...

I pick u the top to my lentil press and I roll it in the indentation in the top.
It makes infinite sense to marver with a concave surface...
I like the control of picking up the top and turning it over and rolling where I can see more... (I wear a leather apron

If you are lentil impaired... I suggest you use this method...
If you haven't gotten a lentil press yet... I suggest trying Zoosii's new lentil press with straight sides at the bead hole... that should make a huge difference.

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2007-01-09, 11:36am
one day at a time

Thanks for that info, Ingrid! Maybe I'll get this new press and actually like making lentils. I gave up on it a long time ago because I didn't like the glass squishing out, and the "butt" holes. LOL!! I'm press impaired because I've never been one to have patience with them. I guess it's part of my ADD...

I press/mash beads but I do it with Coon Valley's brass masher, and I'm getting decent even shapes consistently, so maybe it's time to buy a press. I had a bunch last year, but sold them all but the CBS bead squeeze and my Zoozi Kalera trio (which was a gift!) in the Garage.
Old 2007-01-09, 3:32pm

that masher is infinitely easier than typical presses, since it you pretty much can't have too much or too little glass (within reason). i am trying very hard to get my beads into zoozi's spree/straight sided lentil & i do believe i'm making some headway. thanks for the tips! i'm thinking about getting the zoozi lentil someday when i get the damn tab down. consistency is just not my strong point!
Old 2007-01-14, 10:08am
what a blast!

Ingrid . . .thanks for the great tips on shaping lentils. I got the zoozii lentil trio for xmas and have been strugging a bit with consistency . . . glass squishing out the sides or too little glass to fill the press. . .and when you are pressing the 2 sides together you just don't know.

Just use the top and turn it upside down and heat the glass and let gravity do its thing . . .WOW . . .seems so obvious now . . .I can't wait to try your tips on the torch today!

Thanks for sharing

Carol
Old 2007-01-14, 5:15pm
what a blast!

Hi Ingrid
Well i just spent the afternoon at the torch and using your tips for the lentil press made 7 lentil beads . . it was so much easiers with your tip to use the top only of the press.
Can't wait to open the kiln door tomorrow morning!!
ciao Carol