Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-15, 8:14am
tweetysweetie

Default Fan Pulls

Ok summer is on its' way, going to be hot for some of my friends in the lower 48, they'll be running ac & fans. I'm thinking of making some fan pulls as gifts. I have the wire, connectors and chain (from a bulk buy last year) I pretty much have an idea of how it all comes together for a finished piece, but would like to see how many of you have done these. Please share your fan pulls, tips & tricks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-15, 8:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

My thoughts would be to use a large diameter mandrel that creates a hole that chain will go through and maybe create a cone shape on end of mandrel to create a beveled hole in end of pull for the bell shaped piece usually found on end of chain pulls..... I guess you could cut cone shaped hole in base of pull with diamond burr and Dremel tool also....

You could creates two similar design pulls but slight different in "shape", one for lights one for fan itself..... Or some single pulls for fans that do not have lights...

A while back this was discusses (may want to search for thread) and someone even advocated putting "bead" on a section of threaded tubing (from lamp parts store) and then using brass decorative caps to hang it from chain....

Best bet may to see what "lamp chain" parts are available or threaded tubing for lamp assembly and adapt from there....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-15, 8:35am
I'm a lilac!

I make mine on a 1/8" mandrel and then slide it directly over the chain, with a ball-end to keep it on.

Old 2010-06-15, 5:57pm
tweetysweetie

Dale! excellent suggestions & an idea I hadn't thought of

Kalera, that is beautiful, but don't think I can pull that ending off. I had in mind doing a little coil, putting bead on and a loop into the connecter and attach to chain, but Dales input gave me a light bulb moment too. I see a use for those dang cone shaped mandrals I bought years ago.

I will go do a search of fan pulls but also hope that others will share here too, so we can see the new things.....

Old 2010-06-15, 9:59pm

Here is one of my fan pulls. The head pin is done with 20g wire, and it is wrapped around a connector that clamps around the ball chain.

I've done several of these with 21g headpins and never had a problem with them breaking away, and my ceiling fans get a lot of use.

Here is a link for the connectors.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/46319450...ctor-rings-for

Old 2010-06-15, 10:15pm
Critter Mom

We have fans in each room, I'd love to change out all the standard pulls with ones I've made myself. I love this thread.

Old 2010-06-16, 12:54am
Glass Attack

idk about fans. a kiln and oxycon will both be running at the same time, and i'll be working outside this summer anyway. need one of those aluminum carports for shade, and wind protection.
Old 2010-06-16, 6:08am
tweetysweetie

Carol..that's exactly what I had in mind, thanks for showing that. I do have all the stuff to make it come together, so that will be a start, plus I'm really liking Dales idea.
Bonnie, all you need are those little connector thingy's and using Carol's idea above, you could make that happen.

Herbal, you know I call them fan pulls, but I guess they would work on lamps that have those pull chains. Whoooo, torching outside sounds so comfortable if the temp is tolerable, but then you have to deal with wind and too bright of light from sunshine filtering from the sides into the carport.(hard to see your flame) A black backed workboard from behind might help, with side blinders to block the wind.

I'm glad a couple more folks are responding to this thread, but still I'd like to see what everyone has come up with. I did a search for fan pulls here and came up with zero, nada, zip..well with the exception of this thread! lol

Old 2010-06-16, 9:03am

I do mine like Kalera does...the finding is very cheap from a wood turners catalogue....I just clean the bead release and slip the bead on...they come in silver & brass....

Shauna
Old 2010-06-16, 10:02am

how pretty!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I make mine on a 1/8" mandrel and then slide it directly over the chain, with a ball-end to keep it on.

and also ......
Old 2010-06-16, 10:03am

love this bead shape too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
Here is one of my fan pulls. The head pin is done with 20g wire, and it is wrapped around a connector that clamps around the ball chain.

I've done several of these with 21g headpins and never had a problem with them breaking away, and my ceiling fans get a lot of use.

Here is a link for the connectors.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/46319450...ctor-rings-for

and also ......
Old 2010-06-17, 7:44am
Uh Oh....

I did these a while ago. I used lamp finial parts and a finial adapter to make them into fan pulls. The part where the glass goes into the brass has a post and I just glued the glass onto the post.

I wanted something that looked cleaner than a wire. I really like just slipping the beads over the ball chain. That's easier and looks nice too.

Old 2010-06-28, 11:37pm
Frustrated Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post

where did you find the ball end? I have lots og chain and I need to make mine longer because I am unable to reach the ones I have and the kids need to climb on the table to turn it on for me

Old 2010-06-29, 5:04am
Cats & Glass!

These were some that I did awhile back. I used some findings I got from Shawnette but I think you can do these with a change a bead type finding, a fishing swivel and ball chain. I love mine!

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2010-06-29, 2:44pm

I'd love to know where to find the ball ends too! I like that style.

Tina
Old 2010-06-30, 6:52am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverReflections View Post
I'd love to know where to find the ball ends too! I like that style.

Tina
JameyLynn has them. Look under "Beadable Items"
http://www.howaco.com/
Old 2010-07-12, 5:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
where did you find the ball end? I have lots og chain and I need to make mine longer because I am unable to reach the ones I have and the kids need to climb on the table to turn it on for me
I got mine at a lighting store, but I would swear I've seen them online too...

Here! http://www.grandbrass.com/ I can't figure out how to link directly to it but if you search "ball chain" it comes up.

Bizarrely, to order the chain itself, the only way I can find it on their site is by searching "#6".