Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-03, 8:11am

Default Oxygen Tanks versus Concetratr

I am looking to upgrade to a Nortel Mega Minor torch from a Minor. I am using an EX 15 concentrator but research indicates the Mega minor functions best with tank O2 or two concentrators strung together. I would rather not string two concentrators together so asking what others experience has been.
Does anyone use a concentrator with high capacity ie a 20? If you use O2 tanks what size tanks do you use and how long do they last in terms of hours use before refill.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2016-01-03, 8:36am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggles View Post
I am looking to upgrade to a Nortel Mega Minor torch from a Minor. I am using an EX 15 concentrator but research indicates the Mega minor functions best with tank O2 or two concentrators strung together. I would rather not string two concentrators together so asking what others experience has been.
Does anyone use a concentrator with high capacity ie a 20? If you use O2 tanks what size tanks do you use and how long do they last in terms of hours use before refill.
Any help would be appreciated.
Not knowing your reasoning for not wanting to add a second concentrator, I would suggest getting an Airsep Intensity (http://hobbiesforus.com/Concentrators.html, scroll down). It's 10lpm, 20psi and will run a Mega Minor just fine. That being said, a Mega Minor isn't much of an upgrade from a Minor. Unless you're getting a really good deal on it, I'd skip it. There's really nothing you can do on a Mega Minor that you can't do on a Minor.

Tanks are always better because there is no restriction as to what size torch you can run. The downside is the expense and convenience. In the long run, concentrators are much more economical. And you'll never run out of oxy over the weekend or in the middle of a project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-01-03, 8:38am
what's a senior moment ?

I use the mega minor with one M-20 concentrator. Works fine. Would rather use tanked o2 because it does run hotter using it but in my area, it's hard to come by. Never tried it with 2 concentrators but have considered it. Have the second one sitting here that needs to be rebuilt first.

Old 2016-01-03, 2:29pm

I run a GTT Phantom on 3 concentrators.

Because I run the outer oxygen full blast the center fire has 15 more jets of oxygen around it and gets super hot.

I love my concentrators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmfymeMiJyk
Old 2016-01-03, 6:03pm

Mega-minor of one M15 oxycon...works great. Have even done some very small boro!

Old 2016-01-03, 10:26pm
Dix Harrison

In the past, I have run a Mega Minor on an M-20. I did notice a significant difference between my Mega Minor and my Minor...as far as fuel and oxy consumption.
Old 2016-01-04, 6:27am

Talking Thank You

I appreciate the feedback. I do live in a rural area and getting and refilling O2 will not be convenient by any stretch. I would prefer not to string two concentrators secondary to available space. One M20 sounds like my way to go.