No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-17, 7:09am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Wink Your Favorite "Magic" Glass?

I think it would be awesome if everyone posted about their favorite magic glass. Please soft glass only- no Boro. See, I read about all the silver glasses, Nyx, Aion, Terra... and it really confuses me. I do own Terra, and four other silver glasses- Monet being one of them. It would be GREATLY helpful to someone like me, who makes a limited number of beads yet I do sell my beads (mainy focals- I hate making sets) to know which "extra special" IE *very expensive* are out there, and what reactions they offer, what special end result they achieve. It would be great to know the COE also. I don't mean to be a information hog, but I think it would benefit others out there besides myself. I have seen some glass that looks milky opal, not boro, and I have no idea what it is, where to get it, or if I could even use it- so having a list would be magnificent. I don't mean ONLY silver colors- I think the milky opal ones I've seen is not silver glass.

My initial and modest contribution to "magic glass" would be FAUX BORO. Inexpensive and easy to do. I use Iris Blue frit purchased from Glass Goodies. I melt it into a straw yellow rod, then pull stringer. Usually I use this over a transparent glass that has been rolled in silver, and then I encase everything. Here is an example:

I hope others out there will want to contribute. Sure would help out the clueless like myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The little love of my life...
Old 2007-05-17, 7:48am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I Love Raku, encased, not encased, sculpted, I Love love raku twisties, !

~~
~~
Old 2007-05-17, 8:58am

I adore faux boro - one of my favorite "magic" glasses is seeded glass- this one is vintage green hex glass (I hope I can find a good pic- it's difficult to photogragh- but oh, so pretty)

:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-05-17, 9:17am

I Love Raku too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
I Love Raku, encased, not encased, sculpted, I Love love raku twisties, !

Old 2007-05-17, 9:54am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Gaia. Hands down. It is the easiest to get great results out of.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-05-17, 10:40am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Gaia. Hands down. It is the easiest to get great results out of.
Ditto...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-05-17, 11:14am
novembersfyre everywhere

Gaia for me also

Old 2007-05-17, 11:27am

Gaia here too. LOVE IT!

Old 2007-05-17, 11:47am
Enabler

Add me to the Gaia fanclub!

Old 2007-05-17, 12:22pm
Entropy increasing....

Gaia, Raku, Silver Blue, Electra.

This is the first bead I made with Electra just this week and I am in love.

Old 2007-05-17, 12:31pm

raku. raku. and more raku.

Ginko Beads
Old 2007-05-17, 12:44pm

Great so far- thanks I think I might try some Gaia- have read some good things about this glass. Anyone know if it is easier than the god awful Terra? I use a HH BTW.

Thanks for the gorgeous bead picture Kevan!

Last edited by NorLigh; 2007-05-17 at 12:47pm.
Old 2007-05-17, 12:48pm
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Kevan...I agree...Electra (oops...had the name wrong...)..

Can't seem to get the others to work very well....ppp!

Last edited by Gail Kops; 2007-05-17 at 1:47pm.
Old 2007-05-17, 12:57pm

who sells the magic glass??

Old 2007-05-17, 1:03pm
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Gaia, Nyx, Kronos, Electra, Terra, etc. are from Double Helix Glass.
http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/
Old 2007-05-17, 1:04pm
Entropy increasing....

This is my first Gaia bead also made this week. All it required was melting it in and then waving it in and out of a reducing flame. No biggy.

Of all the glass I have tried, ony Terra and Olympic Rain have I been unable to get to do anything.

Old 2007-05-17, 1:04pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorLigh View Post
Great so far- thanks I think I might try some Gaia- have read some good things about this glass. Anyone know if it is easier than the god awful Terra? I use a HH BTW.

Thanks for the gorgeous bead picture Kevan!
Thank you!
Old 2007-05-17, 1:08pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Here's one I made with a base of Gaia. If you use it with ivory it will fume the ivory. That can be a neat effect except for the mermaid I made that ended up with a purple arm and belly - her tail was Gaia

Old 2007-05-17, 1:50pm

I work on a hot head, am i going to be able to get the effects like you folks all get or would I need more "power"??

Old 2007-05-17, 6:08pm
Dichro Queen

My favorite is Autumn Harvest Caliente Cane - it is gorgeous!!! I am happy just making spacers out of it, but it makes sculptural work truly magical! love it, Love It, LOVE IT!!! Truly amazing glass!

Jenny
Old 2007-05-17, 10:35pm
Corgi Cult Member

The other iris frit colors make great faux boro too. I also like them on a dark base.

Such pretty beads in this thread!

I really haven't met a silver glass I didn't like yet, except perhaps the powdered frit. They all have their own unique qualities. Gaia is such a dream though! So easy!

It's hard to get any more magical than Raku. Baby poo turning so many colors is always a thrill.

One nice thing about the expensive silver glass, if you don't like something you purchased, someone always seems to be willing to trade for a different kind.

Old 2007-05-17, 11:39pm

Good old raku and Kluger silver blue.
Old 2007-05-17, 11:47pm
Entropy increasing....

Love Kugler Silver Blue! The Old Standby.

Old 2007-05-18, 6:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
The other iris frit colors make great faux boro too. I also like them on a dark base.

I really haven't met a silver glass I didn't like yet, except perhaps the powdered frit. They all have their own unique qualities. Gaia is such a dream though! So easy!

It's hard to get any more magical than Raku. Baby poo turning so many colors is always a thrill.

One nice thing about the expensive silver glass, if you don't like something you purchased, someone always seems to be willing to trade for a different kind.
I love the powdered frit also - Iris Violet Powder
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-05-18, 10:44am

Cool

Everyone's pictures are swesome- and now I want to try Gaia!

HEY- I do have some Terra, just a few rods left- but I would love to trade it for some Gaia. I can not get the Terrable to work for me. I will ask in the swap section- but in case anyone wants to trade, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post

Old 2007-05-18, 1:45pm
Melt That Glass

Not much said about Terra, but it is one of my favorites. I make stringers of it and swirl it onto black, and for me it just pops out all different colors. I'm having pretty good luck right now with Davinci. Got a bigger torch and that made all the difference in the world.

Jan

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2007-05-18, 7:57pm
Just Plain

I love all the new silvered glass, but my all-time magical fave is Z-99 Purple Rose

Old 2007-05-18, 8:12pm

NorLigh,
Thanks so much for starting this thread! As a new-new beader, I soak up everything I can read. Thanks also to those of you who posted a picture with your favorite "magic" glass....makes it so much easier to learn.
Old 2007-05-18, 8:25pm
Just Plain

Thanks Kimberly!
And I was in such a hurry to post that I neglected to mention how awesome everybody's beads are - I just love this thread!

Old 2007-05-21, 8:35am

I have Terra, Gaia, Kronos, Olympia Rain and Monet but I still love Kronos, it's my personal favorite.

Kronos beads:
Over black and silver
Kronos, Oro rubino & goldstone
With black & periwinkle