No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-13, 2:26pm
Broken

Default Elektra

I cannot get Elektra to do anything!! Does anyone have any tips before I give up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-13, 2:46pm

I use it for dots and then I just touch the dot with alot of propane. It comes out to be a blue metallic color, sorry I don't have any pics to show you.
Old 2008-01-13, 7:07pm
Life is change. Love it

I can't get it to do anything either. I did give up!

Old 2008-01-13, 11:10pm

I love Electra. HEAVY reduction brings out reds.
Old 2008-01-14, 12:13am
Entropy increasing....

I also love Electra. If you reduce it just a bit you get blues and greens. If you really reduce it you will get Aqua and green metallic colors.

Old 2008-01-14, 6:52am

Hi Nicker! Are you using the elektra to make a goddess, like we spoke about few weeks ago? If so, try using a large base of pastel white. . . Encase the entire thing with Elektra. After you have finished shaping her, let her cool outside of the flame for a sec. Turn your oxy way down and then flash her through your propane rich flame. You should see a sort of mist begin to form on the outside of your bead. It will look almost frosty. . . If you keep flashing her, you'll see greens and reds begin to develop.

Btw, beautiful bead, Kevan!!!!

Old 2008-01-14, 9:47am
Broken

Thanks everyone. I was just making spacers beads for now I'll I get it figured out. But I'll try encasing a lighter glass and flashing it a bit more. I was flashing it in a reducing flame, but I wonder if I'm letting it cool enough before doing that? I did get some cool eyes on a frog out of it, but thats about it so far

Old 2008-01-15, 7:43pm

If you're still not happy, try cooking instead of flashing. I reduce electra more than any of the others. You can get this great depth with it, like when they layer automotive paint to get a metallic sparkle on some cars.
Old 2008-01-16, 12:02am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Wow Wee!!!! This is gorgeous!!!! Thanks for sharing - now off to buy some! I've learned how to reduce on my Hot Head - there's no stopping me now!!! (Striking, though, is another story altogether )

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-01-16, 10:34am
Storm Queen

That is seriously gorgeous Kevan.

Old 2008-01-17, 9:40am

Another beautiful bead, kevan.
Old 2008-02-17, 6:38pm
Lover of all things color

I have had lots of luck with elektra. HOWEVER, I put beautiful beads in the kiln to anneal and what came out was turquoise glass. I was so disappointed. One of the beads has silver dots around the center. The elektra had gone silver in the flame. After annealing it was just the turquoise like the rod.

I annealed for 10 minutes at 960. This was not a garage anneal. I had cooled them in a fiber blanket. To anneal I heated slowly and soaked at 960. What can I do to keep the colors I get in the flame? On one of the others the only place the silvers stayed was on the bottom where the bead had contact with the kiln paper.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-02-19, 3:56am
as in the state

I'm going to guess that you have a funky atmosphere in your kiln that is causing the reduction work you did at the torch to disappear.

There is a thread that is still active about "metallic sheen disappearing" or something like that, which suggests that you add a little bit of activated charcoal to the kiln to produce a reducing atmosphere that will help you keep your metallics on the beads you anneal. More details on how to use the charcoal and where to get it are in the thread.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=81679

-Amy

Last edited by CO_Phantom; 2008-02-19 at 3:57am. Reason: adding link to thread
Old 2008-03-17, 6:30am
ManBearPig

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask this...

Does anyone have a problem with Elektra boiling? I have never used any of the Double Helix colors before this past weekend. I tried several colors just to see what I could get them to do. I got good results with most of them, but the Elektra is boiling worse than any glass I've ever seen. It seems to boil even more right after marvering it. Am I the only one that is having this problem? None of the other DH colors had this problem.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

Old 2008-03-17, 6:52am
Flaming Redhead!

The original batches of Elektra boiled like crazy on me, but I got great colour. The new and improved batch doesn't boil...but I'm not getting the same intensity on the colour...*shrug*

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-03-17, 6:54am
A True Woofer

I tried Elektra once and got unbelievable boiling like I've never seen. I haven't tried it again.

Old 2008-03-17, 9:04am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Elektra2

Elektra has been reformulated as Elektra2, and the boiling problem has been eliminated. Multiple reduction treatments bring out the best in the new version. The first few passes through a reduction flame bring out the silver lusters, while a few more strong reduction treatments develop the reds. The slower development of the color range is the result of the trade-off to prevent boiling. To get the strongest reds, reduce it over and over until the glass looks all brown and nasty, the brown color changes to red as the bead cools. Elektra has become one of my favorites, since it develops the red tones, and is nearly impossible to "overdo". Sales-wise, it is our least popular colors, but I think it's full potential just has not yet been realized. If you have some Elektra1 and would like to trade it in, send us an email, or the glass and we will gladly exchange it for you.
Jed at Double Helix Glassworks - Elektra2 Photo
Old 2008-03-17, 9:24am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Wow - don't you just love good customer service?!?!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-03-17, 10:23am
da General

Jed - that's so cool of you to offer! I may have to take you up on that!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-03-17, 1:23pm

Jed that is a seriously pretty bead!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !