LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2008-09-10, 11:39am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Default ? for purchased tutorials

I'm a new(ish) lampworker and kind of a lurker, but have to say that I'm really astounded by the wealth of information out here. Thanks to everyone for sharing so much of their knowledge and talent.

I've been looking at all the cool tutorials for purchase out there, and of course I don't begrudge anyone wanting to make money for all their work. theres more than a few out there that I'd like to buy. (ok, all of them!) But as I look through everything, I find myself really curious.

I know that copying is a really touchy subject. and I wonder how that applys to these tuts.

When you buy a tutorial, are you allowed to sell what you make when you follow them? Or are you supposed to try to make something completely different before you can sell your beads? I guess I'm really confused at how much different your beads have to be to sell, if you use a purchased tutorial. Some of the tutorials ar really specific, and if they're used to make a specific bead... well, I just don't want to step on people's toes, and would like to know before I spend what little money I have.

(I guess this would also apply for free tutorials too.)
Old 2008-09-10, 11:44am
passionate about pets

I personally think a tutorial for sale is mainly selling the technique behind the bead. I would say sure sell the beads you make, if you would like but if you "copy" a bead from the tut then you should give credit to the creator of the original style. I am sure this is what the tutorial makers are wanting......I am not a tutorial maker though so i am sure someone will pipe up and say something more...there also has been a few threads about this subject so you might want to find them and read about them.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-11, 4:17am
BeadsonCypress

I would sell them with the credit given to the technique given by the "instructor" just as if you took a class. Kind of like "in the Leah Fairbanks style" etc... IMO artists teach these styles because 1) everyone loves their beads and are are always asking how do you do that? 2) If you go to the trouble of giving a class or creating a tutorial they expect that you will LEARN to make similar style beads 3) There are so many styles of beads and techniques out there I surely would have difficulty coming up with something so unique that no one has ever done before (ever looked at 1001 Beads?) But then I am still a novice and my beads are more color creations and still working on shaping properly ....SO I AM A SLOW LEARNER! Again, this is my opinion, but after watching over 75 classes with a large variety of artists, I don't think they would be offended unless you take credit for creating the design youself or as one not so nice person did, buy their beads and sell them as their own!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-09-11, 10:02am
Heart Of Glass Beads

As a tutorial writer , If you purchase either (or both) of my tutorials, you have my blessing to sell what you make using them. Giving a mention to me as the "inspiration" for your creation would be appreciated, but I absolutely don't expect, or require anyone that purchases them to give me credit. I hope that people use my tutorials as a jumping off point and will make something that is totally their own, but if someone copies them exactly I am totally fine with that also.

I think most of the people here that have written tutorials feel the same as I do.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-09-13, 3:00pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Thanks for the replies, Susan and Storm

I did look up other threads, but in the ones that I read, if this specific topic was discussed, it was in passing to some other main question. Maybe I missed something?

I asked because with some of the tutorials, some of the line between designs and techniques is pretty vague. I took a very expensive class where the lampworker (who doesn't post here) didn't want anyone to copy him, but he was teaching how to make something from nature, as realistically as possible. It's hard to know what's considered acceptable and what isn't.

And thanks Carla for your input as a tutorial creator. That's really good to know. I like your attitude! I hope you're right that most of them feel like you do.
Old 2008-09-13, 5:04pm
passionate about pets

I would say if he is teaching it then he is going to get some who copy him....it is just human nature

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.