AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2006-02-14, 2:55pm

Default Getting hoses off torch

I have a bobcat. I bought it with the hoses connected to it. I now have a mini cc that I want to try out. I removed the little metal screw on rings from the hoses were they slip over the hose barbs. I can not for the life of me get the hose barbs out of the hoses though. Help!

Hope this makes sense...
Christie
Old 2006-02-14, 3:00pm
Ad astra per aspera

I had the same problem when I upgraded torches. I used a utility knife, cut off the hoses (after bleeding them) right at the end of the barbs, then sliced the remaining inch or so lengthwise and peeled it off. Yes, you lose a little bit of hose, but it's a LOT less aggravating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-14, 3:04pm

Thank you so much for the quick response. That is what I thought I might need to do. I have a lot of hose to spare, so no great loss.

Thanks for the help.
Christie
Old 2006-02-14, 5:04pm

That is exactly what I have had to do as well. Sometimes I can get the propane off, but that oxy will never come off. Just cut 'em off!

Eric
Old 2006-02-15, 7:07am
Safety ALWAYS

First of all - get rid of those screw type hose clamps - they rip up the hose something fierce. Replace the screw type hose clamps with compression type clamps - these are available at most welding supply houses.

If you are going to be swapping hoses back and forth, cut the hose and leave about 6" of hose on the torch. Put a MALE "B" fitting on the torch end of the hoses and a FEMALE "B" fitting on the remaining section of the main hose run.

Use compression type hose clamps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-02-15, 11:33am
The Crazy One

What Mike said! The barbs and clamps scared the crap out of me on my minor. I took it to a weilding supply, I had them put a 12 inch hose on the barb with a proper clamp and had screw on fitting put on the other end.

When I gave my minor away all that was needed to set it up was a regular set of hoses. No cutting, she just screwed on her hose.

PLEASE everyone do this it really is the safe way to go and cost less than 10 bucks!