No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-14, 8:02am
Oinky Oink!

Default Favorite Bead Release?

What is your favorite bead release and why??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-06-14, 9:30am
I speak Murrini!

Sludge Plus...I get mine from Mountain Glass Arts: http://www.mountainglassarts.com/Hom...ch=sludge+plus

Great consistency, nice hold, easy release and doesn't break or flake off easily while being worked in the flame...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-06-14, 5:05pm
grama punky - class junky

I am a fusion lover. flame dry, nice hold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-14, 5:48pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Fusion. Smooth, easy to dip, no dripping, comes off mandrel easily, holds great. I just wish it was a tad easier to remove the beads from the mandrel.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-06-14, 6:34pm

Hate the batch of fusion that I have. I am a bucket o' mud lover but am going to try the new universal bead release next. I have tried sludge too but so far I am still mourning the loss of bucket o' mud.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:06pm

I like dip n go sludge.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:44pm
Oinky Oink!

I heard that mixing Fusion and Foster Fire works pretty well..
Anyone tried this combo?

Christy
Old 2011-06-14, 7:53pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Actually, Lewis Wilson used a mix of FosterFire and Fusion for years. No surprise here, my favorite release is FosterFire Smooth & Tuff cuz I make it and if I hadn't liked I would have changed it.
Old 2011-06-14, 8:38pm

Universal for me. So far so GREAT !!!

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-06-14, 8:45pm
~ toes in the sand.

FosterFire Heavy Duty. I water it down a little~ It coats evenly, holds without flaking, and beads come off super easy. Love it.

Old 2011-06-14, 9:43pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Fusion for regular use, and Dip n' Go Blue Sludge for heavy duty work and cab mandrels. Love em both lots!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-06-16, 7:20pm
Oinky Oink!

I use both Fusion and Foster Fire. But not mixed together.
I like them both.
I had some flaking issues but I think it's from the bead release being too thick and also for some reason air drying seems to help better than flame dry.

Christy
Old 2011-06-29, 4:41am

I have used the new Universal Bead Release and found it wonderful to dip, and while it cracked when I heated it in the flame, it did not flake off the mandrel and working my bead was not hampered in any way by the cracks. It held up and worked the way I would hope from a quality bead release. I was skeptical when I saw the cracking but did not notice any problem whatsoever while working. I did some pressing and high heating and cooling and still the release held and performed. My only reservation about it was that it was a bear to clean out of the bead holes. I use a dremel tool and many beads took some time to clean. Other than that, I love this new bead release and would reorder in a second. It is the closest to Bucket O' Mud I have seen and I was a huge fan of BOM. I detest the bead release that is gray and drops grit in my work area and kiln. Just hate that. Universal Bead Release is not gritty in any way and if it cleaned out of the beads easier, I would think it was a clone of BOM.
Old 2011-06-29, 4:54am
one day at a time

KRAG Mudd - smooth, very easy to clean out, and beads come off easiest of all the beads releases I've tried. I've tried just about all of them, and I have muscle and forearm weakness from nerve damage, so the twisting motion is difficult for me. It's pretty strong too, and I've used it for big hole beads. A must for really smooth holes.

I've had some bead release brands that made me scream out loud! The worse one of all was Bucket o' Mud. I called it Bucket o' Concrete!
Old 2011-07-01, 1:00pm
Artistically Absorbed

I use a combo of Foster Fire and Super Blue Sludge...and a little Flame and Dry. I had my Foster Fire break, and my Sludge was getting too thick...and was almost out of Flame and Dry, so I mixed them together. I love it, it is smooth, tough...no breakage even with alot of heat and tugging, and it goes on incredibly thin to do the job. It was a happy experimental accident I guess.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64