No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-28, 6:53am
Confused as usual

Default where is your torch table?

I have been doing lots of reading . In the chapters on setting up my torch everything I read says do not set up at a table facing a wall or in a corner ? Yet in looking at some studios pics out here I see them set against a wall ? Sooo is that ok as long as I don't burn my wall , LOL
Old 2011-06-28, 7:10am
And silence is golden

I'm thinking that as long as you have a protective cover on your wall, with concrete behind it, should be ok. I also tend to think that the heat might reflect back at you if you are too close to the wall. Mine is on a rolling table and sits about 3 ft from the wall.
Old 2011-06-28, 7:28am
Did someone say SALE?

Mine is set up against a wall with a window, in which I have my ventilation fan.
Old 2011-06-28, 7:35am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Oh MY! I must have missed those sections! I have always been against a wall AND in a corner.....of course I'm right next to an open window in case my bead is so ugly that I need to leap out in order to get away from it, lol!! Seriously, I think that as long as you are running something less than a Delta 3 (I have only had the privilege of seeing one of these in action and it was harnessed by an Expert - not for the faint of heart for sure!) you will probably be ok if you do as Shrimp says. In my experience, it has been more of an issue to have a steel covering (or some type of non-flammable surface) on the table and under it as that is where the molten glass likes to fly to. I torch on an architect's table that I covered with sheets of steel and rimmed with angle iron held down with clamps all from Lowe's. Most of the time you will find that you will not be using the torch at full force - a smaller, focused flame is the ticket for detail work. I am about 3 ft from the nearest wall front and side on a Cricket and have never had an issue with the walls.....now the floor - that's another story!! Which leads me to the MOST essential piece of equipment - no joke- a WORKING and CHARGED fire extinguisher within EASY reach!! Check it frequently as you may find that you need it at the most inconvenient, albeit rare, times (ask me how I know!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2011-06-28 at 9:18am.
Old 2011-06-28, 9:27am
Confused as usual

I wasn't sure if it was because of fire hazard or fumes but I need to get it set up soon and there are windows near it so I guess it will be alright ?Thanks
Old 2011-06-28, 9:46am

I have insulation staple to the wall and then on top of the insulation ,I have DuroRock mounted on the wall, then add sheet metal to that. On my table I have Duro Rock and sheet metal nailed to that . So far its worked. This was suggested by a friend that is a fireman.To make it safe working in front of a wall.
Hope this helps.
Janet C
Old 2011-06-28, 9:48am

You'd want to have a fire-proof covering on a wall behind your torch, preferably with an an air space between the backing and the wall. Your hood should be even with the top of the backing. This prevents your flame and exhaust plume from going out behind your hood and ensures that your ventilation is drawing air from behind you, not from behind your hood. You need to use active exhaust to remove the fumes. Windows close by aren't going to do this.

Robert
Old 2011-06-28, 10:11am

I am facing a wall with my Mirage. I have a loose piece of concrete backer board leaning behind so that there is airspace to the drywall. I have a 10" funnel for ventilation that is mounted to the desk.
Old 2011-06-28, 10:11am
Millionaire in Training

Mine is set up right next to a wall underneath a huge window. In the window sits my box fan, carrying out the noxious fumes (I hope!) Seems I remember many people saying this was sufficient. Just the other day, my old lampwork instructor told me it was not enough.

At least I don't have my propane tank stored inside my house, like two members of the local ASGB do. These are seasoned lampworkers who know better.
Old 2011-06-28, 10:44am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I have a big piece of cement board hung on the wall in front of my torch. There is a inch of space behind it to allow air to circulate.

Old 2011-06-28, 11:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post
Mine is set up right next to a wall underneath a huge window. In the window sits my box fan, carrying out the noxious fumes (I hope!) Seems I remember many people saying this was sufficient. Just the other day, my old lampwork instructor told me it was not enough.

At least I don't have my propane tank stored inside my house, like two members of the local ASGB do. These are seasoned lampworkers who know better.
Dont know anything about your exhaust setup but ANY exhaust system requires Replacement air to function. In your case it would consist of some source of air coming from behind you such as another fan. This creates positive pressure towards the exhaust. Do you have this?
Old 2011-06-28, 11:22am

I'm facing a wall but I would not have chosen this. But no choice unless I want to take the whole workbench out and replace it. It's built into the garage wall and it was there when I bought the house. There is a mirror off to the side so I can see what's behind me but I prefer to have my back to a wall, not my back to the room.
Things come in the half open garage door (my make-up air) and startle me. Birds, once in awhile loose neighbor dogs, there is a large blue-tailed skink around and of course gigantor bugs...I'd like to see them before they see me.

Old 2011-06-28, 11:45am
Ad astra per aspera

Our house was built with two wonderful alcoves in what was designated to become my studio. I have a storage armoire in the smaller one, and my workbench in the larger. My bench is deep enough that heat isn't an issue, and my vent hood goes up into the attic and out through the existing attic fan.

Old 2011-06-29, 6:38pm

In my craft shed against the wall, but I have a fume cabinet.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=197831
Old 2011-06-29, 6:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I'm facing a wall but I would not have chosen this. But no choice unless I want to take the whole workbench out and replace it. It's built into the garage wall and it was there when I bought the house. There is a mirror off to the side so I can see what's behind me but I prefer to have my back to a wall, not my back to the room.
Things come in the half open garage door (my make-up air) and startle me. Birds, once in awhile loose neighbor dogs, there is a large blue-tailed skink around and of course gigantor bugs...I'd like to see them before they see me.
My husband was scaring the crap out of me, my table faces a wall, until I got a tip from this forum and put a mirror on the back of my table that goes the length of the table. Now I can see him or anyone/else coming up behind me.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-06-29, 10:00pm

I use a mirror to prevent people from sneaking up on me too.
Old 2011-06-29, 10:02pm
Salt Box Beads

Yes, I hate having my back facing a wall or door, but other than that there really is NO reason you can't put your workbench anywhere you want it.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-06-30 at 8:27am.
Old 2011-06-30, 8:10pm
one day at a time

I'm facing about 4ft from the wall and my vent fan is in the window above that. Been like that for almost 4 years and no problems.
Old 2011-07-01, 12:54am
Unmedicated since '62

Meh, I face a wall, my table is 600mm deep, ive held my hand against the wall with my torch going full blast and it's not even warm. I have a window to my right and an open door to my left, my biggest problem is too much make up air blowing my flame

Common sense people

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-01, 2:58am

Below is my set up. There is space between my ventilation and the wall but the actual ventilation apparatus insulates and catches all the heat produced by the torch. The entire area stays cool and is safe.

Old 2011-07-01, 4:04am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Sweet Setup!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-07-01, 7:22am

Thanks, Joan. It works really well.
Old 2011-07-01, 10:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post

Listen to your lampwork instructor. It's not enough.

Robert