LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-16, 12:34pm

Default Favorite tool?

Currently what is your favorite tool and what do you use it for?
Old 2011-07-16, 12:41pm
Nikki Haverstock

Hmmm hand marver. Mine has a divot in the corner that you can rest the mandrel in the help turn. That is useful when I start to get tired.

My tweezers I use every time but nothing special.

Last I use an exacto knife but instead of the typical blade I use the one with the rounded blade. It allows me to roll the tool. I use it to make indents and to push my dots in.

Not really a tool but I use Stringers all the time.

Sorry that is a couple instead of one. If I had to I could get rid of the rest. I was encouraged early on the wait on a lot of tools and I am glad I did. Saved me a lot of money so far.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:43pm
Hobby Junkie

Trey's poke and tamp tool. It is an insulated 1/4" thick brass rod. One end is sharpened like a pencil, the other is flat. I use when making dots, flrals, stringer work, and implosions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:50pm
FireBeads

I have a long brass marver, maybe 2" x 5", it's great for shaping. I also love my small brass Stump shaper.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:56pm
maybe tomorrow

The Osibin formers. I have all four sizes. If used properly, they are incredibly helpful in balancing and shaping a bead. I wish AS had instructions on how to use them on their website, because I know a LOT of people aren't using them the way they were meant to be used, and aren't getting the full benefit of them. Just about every bead I make touches one of these, even if the bead is destined to be asymmetrical.

Old 2011-07-16, 6:36pm
Unmedicated since '62

tungsten scriber i picked up at the hardware - its like a push pencil with a piece of tungsten in the tip, its the perfect sharpness for bubble holes

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-16, 6:37pm

I got a couple of sets of dental pics at Harbor Freight and other than my marver, those are what I use most often.

Old 2011-07-16, 7:22pm
Eugene, Oregon

I love Harbor freight!!
My most loved tool is an old chipped graphite marver that even has a few bern marks in the handle. I have several new and different shaped marvers, but that one I love.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2011-07-16, 7:40pm
fritaholic

Mandrel spinner and CG Beadrollers. I literally can't make beads without them.

Lisa
Old 2011-07-16, 7:48pm
I ate a big red candle!

A big-ass spoon!

I use it to pat down my stringerwork and lots of other things

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-07-16, 7:50pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

My absolute favorite tool of all time is:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61230149...mpworking-tool

I've used this every lampworking session since I got it for Christmas. My traditional BBQ mashers are now collectiing dust. This tool is has a smaller profile ( so less space taken on my work table) and more consistent results and i love the gentle crunch tab shape it gives my focals - like this:

Old 2011-07-16, 9:48pm
honorary bead lady

I have to pick just one???

I'm dying to try the murini puller I got from Rachel (RCB23) and the short holder
Old 2011-07-16, 10:05pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Oh Amber, you are going to cost me money girl.

That thing is awesome ~ Now I'm going to have to get me one before this fall.

Old 2011-07-16, 10:46pm

Thats easy. Infinite Rim Marble Molds. Love these things. I have the 5 in 1 and the next size up double sided. These thing ooze quality in every way.
Old 2011-07-16, 11:12pm

I use my small stump shaper more than anything else.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-07-16, 11:57pm
da General

3"x5" graphite flat marver from Arrow Springs. I shape all my large beads using it. It's lighter than other marvers of the same size.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-17, 8:02am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Leonardos petal pullers, they are my third arm

~~
~~
Old 2011-07-17, 9:11am
Curmudgeon Engineering

GTT Kabuki torch.... every piece of glass gets worked by it!

LOL
Old 2011-07-17, 9:14am

Tweezers and a palate (spelling?) knife.
Old 2011-07-17, 9:26am
It's about having fun!

I adapted a tool from the dollar store that makes a hole in glass!!!! It's awesome! I'd tell ya what it is but then I might have to keel ya! Trying to figure out what to do with my invention!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-17, 10:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
The Osibin formers. I have all four sizes. If used properly, they are incredibly helpful in balancing and shaping a bead. I wish AS had instructions on how to use them on their website, because I know a LOT of people aren't using them the way they were meant to be used, and aren't getting the full benefit of them. Just about every bead I make touches one of these, even if the bead is destined to be asymmetrical.
^This^

Old 2011-07-17, 10:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
GTT Kabuki torch.... every piece of glass gets worked by it!

LOL

At the moment mine is the Lani Ching shaper, but I love lots of tools. I admit, I started this for shopping ideas.
Old 2011-07-17, 10:46am
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post

At the moment mine is the Lani Ching shaper, but I love lots of tools. I admit, I started this for shopping ideas.
Well then. What do you have already?

If someone forced me to spend $500 on tools (it would be a real struggle ) I would love to buy several presses. Pillow press. Kalera. SS lentil.

And a couple bead rollers.

I actually can't even think of what else.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:55am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Oh I have one more - the Stump shaper... invaluable tool there!

Old 2011-07-17, 1:50pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Dental tool from Harbor Freight with a flat end and my tail stock holder. I won't torch without either.
Next in line is Nikki's brass tool for mashing and moving glass (great for getting my focal ends straight after mashing), the aluminum 4" masher David at Coon Valley made for me and of course my beadrollers (I use the graduated spacer one the most).

I have other things scattered around but those are my go to need all the time tools.

Old 2011-07-17, 2:54pm
novembersfyre everywhere

My current favorite is the Osibin curve shaper. A marver with a deep curve in it is useful for everything! It's about halfway down this page:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

And my pointed angled 7" tweezers. I've tried to hold murrini with many different tools and these are the best. You can see what you are doing when you are heating the murrini and when you are placing it.

On this page:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html

I do like my tools for specific shaping like my bead rollers and my presses but I could live without them. I can't do without the above two items.

Old 2011-07-17, 3:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
Can you give a couple of pointers as to how to get the full benefit of the tool? I've been thinking about purchasing one.

Thanks.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-07-17, 3:42pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Brushy View Post
Can you give a couple of pointers as to how to get the full benefit of the tool? I've been thinking about purchasing one.

Thanks.
Someone pm'd me about this also, so I just started a new thread on How to use Osibin Formers. It was a pretty long post, so I didn't want to derail this one too much.

Kim Osibin is a friend of mine, so I learned how to use the tools properly from her. I forgot that a while back she had sent me the instructions so I could pass them on to someone.

I hope that helps!

Old 2011-07-17, 5:20pm
offically down under

Graphite marver (AS 3 x 5)
*Tweezers pointy bent and long serated
*Brass butter knife with a pointed top
*Home made tungsten pick made with a rod of tungsten, dowel and glue. To get the sharp point, I heat up the tungsten to a red glow and put into Chem-Sharp. I repoint it when necessary

Old 2011-07-17, 9:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Oh I have one more - the Stump shaper... invaluable tool there!
The stump shaper intrigues me!