Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-26, 10:07pm

Default Regalia questions

I asked this in another room but only got one PM. I run a Lynx with two concentrators. I don't think I am getting enough O2 because the candles have to be extremely short or everything reduces, and this is with my propane turned way down. I am thinking of buying a Regalia and need some imput. I only work in soft glass. Is the Regalia what I want? Reconditioned or new? Most of all who to buy from? I live in Louisville so will be at the Gathering. Anyone selling them there? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kybeadmaker; 2011-07-27 at 6:35am.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:19pm

Tanked Oxy will solve the problem. The lynx is a great torch but it is not at its best on concentrators.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:23pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Harriet, have you tried turning down your propane? I have mine at 3-5 psi & only turn the open valve on the tank 1 1/2 times. I run a Cuda on 2 concentrators & don't have a problem with short candles & reducing. It even does well when I open all 4 ports.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-07-26, 11:22pm
Catnip Pusher

I'm sure it depends on the size of your concentrators. Two 5lpm concentrators that put out 7psi are obviously not going to be as good as two 8lpm concentrators at 15psi.

My Lynx does okay on a single 8lpm/15psi machine. With two I'm sure it would rock!

Aimee
Old 2011-07-27, 2:47am

Regalia should be perfect with a Lynx. Check with KBinkster here on LE. She has done comparisons of concentrators and can give you all the information you need. I was told that my Regalia would run a Lynx perfectly.
Old 2011-07-27, 9:58pm
Otter

I have a Regalia been using it for over 5 years I have a Mirage. The center fire of the Mirage is a lynx. I only use the center fire with the Regalia and it works great I make some larger sculptural pieces all in soft glass. I totally love the Regalia. I bought it new at the gathering and would get another one in a minute.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2011-07-27, 10:12pm

Thanks everyone, I'm off to see the vendors tomorrow. I know there is someone with Regalias there. Eager to meet some beadmakers too It's nice to have the Gathering in your hometown !

Old 2011-07-27, 10:44pm
PyronamixK

Harriet, Mark Scott, the representative for Chart-SeQual should be there tomorrow and can answer questions about the Regalia. Should you have any that are more torch specific, I'll be happy to help you.

As concentrators get older, their performance decreases. You could be experiencing that with your current set-up. The Regalia does a fine job of running a Lynx. My husband, Willy, will be at the GTT table tomorrow and he is very familiar with the Regalia. He can help you, too.
Old 2011-07-28, 6:24am
Lampworkaholic!

I run both fires on my Scorpion on a Regalia and I'm totally happy with it. I bought it from someone on LE who had used it lightly for about a year and was relocating overseas.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-28, 11:12am

My Lynx runs well on the Regalia too.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-07-29, 5:06am
Can't you see I'm busy???

What Paula said!
Old 2011-07-29, 5:28am

I appreciate everyone's advice. There was no one at the SeQual booth all morning. I ended up talking with Ross and Paul at ABR and got two X-15's. Great price and they were able to load them in my car. So the money I save I spent on Double Helix glass....OMG! Their booth was so crowded and the glass was just beautiful. Lots of test glasses. I am in silver glass heaven !

Old 2011-09-09, 1:39am
Intermembrane Time Travel

sorry to bring up an old thread here folks, but I was wondering when people say that a lynx does well on a regalia/integra or that they are happy with it does that mean 70%, 80%, 95%? 0% being no flame and 100% being maximum flame of course.

I really would like to get one of these (not sure what the difference between the two is yet, still reading) even if it means hooking it up Y adapter style to a tank to get the extra umph potentially needed when maxing out the torch as it will expand the life of a tank to the point of paying for itself after a period of time.

Just wondering if I won't even need to bother with a tank. Knowing I won't have to be paying for the downpayment, rental, delivery and (re)fill fees when I get my work-in-progress studio finished and bench set up will certainly free up some money to be used for other constructive purposes. As well as budgeting for oxy cost in the future.

I think Kim had posted melt times of torches on a regalia or an integra, I am currently looking for that post, however I cannot remember if it showed the times of the torches on the oxycon vs. on tanked oxy or not.

I also have seen people mention building a small holding tank that could be filled by the oxycon while the flame is smaller (which is where most of the work would prob be done generally anyway) and then provides a temporary supply of oxygen for when you need the max flame. This might be an even better idea than hooking up with a tank, but I am no technical wiz and the idea of building a holding tank as such kinda freaks me out. It certainly seems much cheaper than dealing with the tank cost too, but if it is just another way of trying to avoid the inevitable *wishing for tanked oxy* then I would rather just bite the bullet and hook those two up and have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by caogomi; 2011-09-09 at 1:48am.
Old 2011-09-09, 6:30am

I have a Lynx. I went from tanked oxy to using a Regalia and really have not noticed a difference at all in the capabilities of my torch. What kind of work are you doing, soft glass or boro? For soft glass beadmaking, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be perfectly happy with the Lynx/Regalia combination. For beads and murrini I don't ever really have a need to max out my Lynx, but in the 5-6 years I've been using the Lynx/Regalia, I've never once had a situation where I needed more "oomph" on the oxy side and it wasn't available.

Old 2011-09-09, 12:05pm

I will be doing boro, mostly pipework and hopefully some marbles, pendants, small candy dishes or goblets, christmas ornaments, beads etc. Though I don't have the molds yet, I would like to be able to make some implosion or other marbles that are perhaps the size of a pool ball if at all possible. They would be the largest solid thing I can forsee working on in any future for the time being.

Thanks for the input. I am kind of beating this horse to death perhaps. I guess it just comes down to any time I throw more than $1000 bucks at something I really like to hear as much as I can about it from as many people as possible who have used the same setup.
Old 2011-09-09, 3:11pm

My 2 cents- I run my 4 stud scorpion on one regalia and am 50% happy working boro. It works great on the center fire but I don't feel I get enough oomph/oxygen for the outer fire. Others have added a second regalia to their set up and are happy. However, that is a lot of money to invest versus getting to 15s or 20s to start with.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:33pm

it is maybe a difficult question to ask, as everyones needs are different I spose. I am thinking I will get one be it integra or regalia, and hook it up in tandem for the times anything further is needed. Of course I can try it out on its lonesome for a bit too and maybe take pictures and comparisons to how it runs alone vs. hooked up y style with a tank vs. a tank alone and see where the differences are etc. Might help out some others and still save me a load on tank costs.

Here is to hoping the next month goes as planned and I get my shed/studio and everything in line. I can't wait to get back on the torch again. After several years I am aching for torch time!