LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2017-07-11, 7:36pm
It's all about the color.

Lightbulb Too many tutorials?

I have so many tutorials, I can't remember what all I have. I've come up with something that I think I'm going to try. I'm going to make a bead or two from each of the tutorials I have, but I'm not going to put bead release on the mandrel. Then after it comes out of the kiln, I'll stick it in a pot in my studio. That way, I can be reminded of those tutorials/techniques at a quick glance for when I sit down to play with glass with no clear direction in mind. It may also give me ideas for techniques I can combine. That should keep me busy and out of trouble for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2017-07-11, 11:48pm
Slogan Challenged...

Excellent idea!!!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-07-12, 12:39am
Naysayer

Love this idea!
Old 2017-07-12, 2:37am
Slogan Challenged...

We want pics!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-07-12, 3:21am

Great idea. . . and label the mandrels with tutorial name to easily find what's what. Maybe the labels could be a "leaf" or something fun for those plant sticks.
Old 2017-07-12, 12:27pm

Love your ideas. I had never thought of tagging each one. I should because some might be similar.

Yes, you'll get pix when I get some done. I should clarify one thing though. You can NEVER have too many tutorials.

The idea though is something I've done but not with tutorials. You know those purple color changing with lighting charts I did? I put them in my Guest Bedroom for when my MIL comes to visit.

Now all I need is some time.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2017-07-12, 3:30pm

That is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2017-07-12, 4:42pm
Salt Box Beads

I'am going to do it too! FANTASTIC idea.
Old 2017-07-13, 7:54pm

I think it would be fun to have a thread for just that. Sharing how you made a certain bead from a tut.
Old 2017-07-13, 8:51pm
Loving learning

Good thinking! I have tutorials I have never actually read and tried, so maybe that would make me try them!
Old 2017-07-13, 10:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I think it would be fun to have a thread for just that. Sharing how you made a certain bead from a tut.
I think this would be getting into muddy waters - teaching someone how to do make a bead so they wouldn't have to buy the tutorial. That's a slippery slope I'm not wanting to go down, but I will add some to this thread as I get time to make them. I will, however, encourage others to show beads they've made from their tutorials, but perhaps this isn't the best place for it. What do you think about starting a new thread in the Gallery when we're ready for it?

I have one project I want to finish first, then a trip I'm going on, but when I get back from the trip. I'll have something to show for sure. I'm getting really excited about this.

Old 2017-07-14, 11:17am
Slogan Challenged...

I think a Gallery thread would be great if we can't use this one. Is that against the rules?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-07-14, 11:28am

I can't see why not, especially if after each bead a link to the tutorial it was made from was provided. Could generate more sales!
Old 2017-07-14, 11:51am

I like the idea of "I made (this) bead using (this) tutorial." Not only will it show appreciation to the people who take the time and effort to write the tuts but it might generate more sales. I know it's a thread I'd fallow!

Kay...has anyone told you how awesome you are lately? Cause, you are, you know.
Old 2017-07-14, 4:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocake View Post
I like the idea of "I made (this) bead using (this) tutorial." Not only will it show appreciation to the people who take the time and effort to write the tuts but it might generate more sales. I know it's a thread I'd follow!
Wouldn't have to just be me, any one could join in. I might even add a mini-tut or two of my own along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocake View Post
Kay...has anyone told you how awesome you are lately? Cause, you are, you know.
Thanks. You're so sweet to think so.

Last edited by Listenup; 2017-07-15 at 11:08am.
Old 2017-07-17, 3:14pm

Kind of a waste of mandrels. JMO. What I have done, from when I was taking classes every year, is to take an old mandrel, slide all the beads on it that would fit and stand it up in block of wood with holes drilled in it.

Old 2017-07-17, 4:34pm
Loving learning

Nice idea Darleen. I have them in bags or bowls, but it would be nice to see them. Or maybe I will string them and hang them in a window by the torch, thanks for getting me thinking.
Old 2017-07-17, 7:47pm

Eileen you're welcome. Glad you found it useful. I keep my little display right next to my torch. Comes in handy when I'm stuck for an idea.

Old 2017-07-17, 9:03pm

I love that idea Darleen. Not a waste of mandrels for me since I replaced most of mine in December so I've got plenty of old ones to spare. I've got my tutorials sorted out (mostly) and am ready to start doing a few at a time as soon as I get some spare time.

I was debating whether or not to do only the tutorials that were still available today and not do the discontinued ones, but I decided I'd go ahead and do them all and provide at least the info on the tutorial creator when available.

Old 2017-09-03, 1:42pm

Wink

This is a great idea, I don't own that many tutorials, but seeing a bead I love from this post and having the link to the tutorial would likely lead to a new purchase!
Old 2017-09-03, 5:18pm

I'm working on it. I have one mandrel in the container now (Eileen's Challenge: free brass frit tutorial in the game room). I'd take a pix of the container, but we're just painting my glass room - actually tonight I've started to slightly change the room arrangement as I'm putting things back in. I think I have it all worked out now so I can maybe get some glass in there tomorrow. Then I can get back at this idea.

My beads are in post #111.

Old 2017-09-04, 9:19am

I didn't explain that very well. I didn't mean to give out the tut secrets, I would never do that. I ment make the bead from a tut and give the name of the tut.
Old 2017-09-04, 11:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I didn't explain that very well. I didn't mean to give out the tut secrets, I would never do that. I ment make the bead from a tut and give the name of the tut.
I never worried that you meant it that way, and the way you described is exactly how I planned on doing it. All is good.

Old 2017-10-24, 10:29pm
Siberdogmom

Such beautiful work!