Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2019-10-30, 7:54pm

Question Newbie with ? about using a Fireworks Torch with larger fuel tank

Hello all,
I just bought a kit with a Fireworks Torch about one month or so ago, and I am totally hooked! The problem that I am having is I am starting to accumulate lot of empty MAPP canisters, and I not infrequently run out of fuel in the middle of a beadmaking session. Or, quite often the bottom of the canister gets cold and my flame burns out. These are small disposable tanks, about 14 oz. I have only a small working space right now, and am not ready to take the plunge and get an oxygen propane setup. My question is regarding whether it is safe to use a larger tank with my Fireworks torch. It seems a lot of people do this but I did read at least one post (can't remember where) from somebody who sounded very knowledgeable who said this was not safe, so I wanted to get opinions.
Thank you.
Old 2019-11-02, 2:17pm
It's all about the color.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses yet. I personally have never used the fireworks torch - I have a hothead torch. I recall the fireworks torch as not being very reliable, but that was years ago. I'm not sure I would hook it up to a BBQ sized tank of propane, but if you're very vigilant and have an extinguisher and CO monitor, you could give it a try. Just make sure that when you put the torch on the tank, it makes a good seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2019-11-04, 12:26pm

Default Newbie with? about Fireworks torch...

Hi Kay,
Thanks for your response.
I was surprised by that, too. I actually have a Hothead torch that I use too. What do you use to fuel your Hothead? Do you use those small canisters or a bigger one? I find these little ones frustrating.
Kelly
Old 2019-11-04, 5:53pm
Phill

Lots of folks shift over to Bar B Que tanks shortly after their third 1 pound canister.

That's about how long the addiction takes to take hold. ( Insert evil laugh here )

It was the fireworks torch that caused me to withhold comment.
Have vague memories of bad stories about them from a dozen years back but nothing firm enough to feel comfortable making an opinion to share.
Old 2019-11-05, 12:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezermom View Post
Hi Kay,
Thanks for your response.
I was surprised by that, too. I actually have a Hothead torch that I use too. What do you use to fuel your Hothead? Do you use those small canisters or a bigger one? I find these little ones frustrating.
Kelly

I use a BBQ Tank. I do this with the HotHead because it's a better torch. The Fireworks one has a rep of not lasting more than a year - mostly because the self igniter stops working. I also know that mine is put together and will stand up to repeated use. I've had mine (actually I have 2) since 2001 when I started working with glass. I also have a cricket. Which one I use depends on what glass I'm working on, what my goals are, whether I'm using silver glass, etc.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2019-11-06, 9:56am

Actually the self-igniter already stopped working. I've had it for about 2 weeks. Lol!
Old 2019-11-06, 9:58am

Thank you both for your comments. If I decide to go the route of the BBQ tank, I would definitely use the Hothead.
Old 2019-11-06, 3:29pm

One little tip, if you can manage to put the yellow tank in a bowl of warm water as you're working with it, it won't freeze up as fast.

Old 2019-11-06, 11:03pm
Phill

Oh and Bar B Que tanks can tend to wind up with gunk inside on the bottom especially the kind that get refilled at gas stations or that might get swapped out with tanks used on RVs that get refilled at all kinds of places.

So it's best to put them in position and let them settle for an hour before opening the valve.

Be sure to use a hose that has "Type T" on it because propane will cause the red and green hoses for acetylene torches to disintegrate from the inside out and the gummy stuff it creates inside will clog your torch.
The cost of leaning the hothead type torch is more than replacing it and the cost of cleaning a two gas torch (oxy and fuel) gets pretty spendy when you have to send it back to the maker.

We have tons of discussions about safety and torches and ventilation so use the search feature if you want.

Oh, and, No more than one 1lb tank in you house ever.
Insurance companies will refuse claims for a broken window if they can find one single thing that voids your insurance coverage even if it has nothing to do with the claim.