No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-21, 1:56pm
Ave

Default The Frit Bead Recipe Cookbook

This thread is dedicated to Kalera Stratton who has generously shared her techniques and knowledge in the thread called "Ask Me Anything".

So here is the proposition.. Since there are loads of us who use and love frit what if..every now and then.. when we do a bead or a set that gets us jazzed we snap a quick photo and post it here with the recipe used to create it. Before too long we would have a wonderful 'cookbook' archive of cool frit bead recipes. It would also provide some advertising for our wonderful group of frit blend vendors.

I am thinkin this could be inspirational and FUN!

So here goes.. today I was working with Bullseye glass and silver foil.

Damson: Bullseye Glass & Frit
Base is; Clear
Frit Blend is: Neo Lavender Opal, Deep Plum Transparent, Violet Striker, and Gold Purple in equal amounts with just a pinch of Midnite Blue Transparent thrown in.
Silver Foil on clear base, rolled in frit, lightly reduced and encased with 1101 clear.

Valentine Black: Bullseye Glass and Frit
Base: Black, Clear
Frit Blend: Pink Opal & Fuschia in equal amounts with a pinch of Light Peach Cream added.
Lightly encase black base with clear, add foil and burnish, roll in frit, lightly reduce and encase with 1101 clear. I like the frit to float just above the black which is why I put a coating of clear between base and frit.

Ta Da!! first two recipes..LOL
Ave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-21, 2:12pm
I'm a lilac!

Awesome thread, I love it... and thanks for the props! Now I have to go play with some of my frit blends and figure out what I put in them. (I'm bad about writing recipes down... pinch o'this, dab o'that!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-21, 4:03pm
Ave

I am the same way.. maybe now I will try harder to jot it down.. Of course that means getting off my stool.. finding a pen, reading the labels, sigh..

Old 2011-02-21, 4:47pm
><>

nvrmnd...I'll ask somewhere else.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann

Last edited by jhana; 2011-02-21 at 5:06pm.
Old 2011-02-22, 8:53pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I LOVE this idea and can't wait until I have something half as gorgeous to share. It's so great to see the generosity of people and the willingness to teach and be open. It's fun and interesting to see, also, how the same techinique turns out differently for different people.
I look forward to this, thank you....
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-22, 9:08pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I only had success with these beads on a hothead. I attempted this recipe again today. I may setup the hothead again just so I can do these beads, hehe.

Bullseye French Vanilla base
Foil
Lightly roll in Beadgoodies Baltic Amber
Heat bead slowly and allow the frit to move by letting the bead sag and then round it up again, press or whatever you like.

I love this thread!

Old 2011-02-23, 5:19am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Lovely beads girls, love the purple & fuschia in those first ones Ava.

Jacqueline, can I ask, how big are those lentils? Gorgeous beads!

Old 2011-02-23, 5:30am
Angie09

Thanks to Kalera's gracious thread ("Ask me anything") I am now the proud owner of TONS of frit!! I got so excited looking at her beads and recipes, I bought way too much and quite honestly am a bit overwhelmed with it all. So, one day in the future, when I actually make a set that would be worth posting, I will add to this incredible thread. The willingness of everyone to share "secrets" is incredible! Thank you Kalera and everyone that has taken her lead for this kindness.
Old 2011-02-23, 5:32am
Ave

Jaqueline!! OMG Those are gorgeous, but I also love the way you put that piece together. The wire caged pearls are perfect with those beads.. Lovely!
Ave

Old 2011-02-23, 6:05am
Mary Lockwood

When I was brand new I wanted to try some bullseye and Kalera hooked me up through the WC swap shop. I got the rods and they were so different from effetre, and I was so clueless that I got intimidated and resold them a while later after only playing a bit.

Now that I'm not so stupid, I keep running into threads with these GORGEOUS colors and it almost always turns out that they are bullseye. Now here is this thread with its beautiful bullseye frits.

Kalera might convert me yet, in a round about way. LOL

I don't have any beautimous bullseye creations, but I do have this.

effetre opal yellow / silver foil / val cox 'leopard diva' / encased in clear

click here if you want to see the ginormous pic

~~Mary

Old 2011-02-23, 6:37am
Ave

Well Mary you have just opened up a new world for me with your recipe..
For one thing I never tried to encase a 96 frit on a 104 base.. for some reason I thought it would never work. That bead is amazing..
I have a Val Cox sample called 'Ocelot Spots' which I have not played with.. But I am going to today.. I am wondering if it is similar to Leopard Diva. It is a reduction frit. I might try it with a pinch of Purple Rose, a neutral opaque and some foil.. Will post pics tonight.. Gonna have some fun..
Thanks for the inspiration
Ave

Old 2011-02-23, 9:20am
Jacqueline Parkes

The lentils in my pic are 18mm

Old 2011-02-23, 2:05pm
Ave

Turns out the beads I liked today were a 104 mix.

Space Debris: Same blend on bases of Hades and Effetre Med Amber
Frit Blend is equal parts of Dk Ivory, Petroleum Green, Lt Sky Blue, CIM Peacock Green
Transparent and some Gold Aventurine.
Foil over base, roll in frit, melt in, waft through slight reduction flame and encase in Moretti Super Clear

Ave

Old 2011-02-23, 2:05pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Well Mary you have just opened up a new world for me with your recipe..
For one thing I never tried to encase a 96 frit on a 104 base.. for some reason I thought it would never work.

Just go spare with the frit! I gravity swirled this one to make it look like there was more frit than there actually was. Don't be surprised if you get some people telling you not to do it.

That bead is amazing..

Thank you! You could do an all 96coe version! Give it a try and see what you get. I might too!

I have a Val Cox sample called 'Ocelot Spots' which I have not played with.. But I am going to today.. I am wondering if it is similar to Leopard Diva.

It is similar to leopard diva. Ocelot Spots is warmer. Those two are my all time favorite frits.

It is a reduction frit. I might try it with a pinch of Purple Rose, a neutral opaque and some foil.. Will post pics tonight.. Gonna have some fun..
Thanks for the inspiration
Ave
Can't wait to see lots more recipes!
~~Mary

Old 2011-02-23, 2:23pm
Ave

Well NO "Ocelot Spots" for me today. I only had a small glass vial of it which I promptly dropped on the concrete floor of the studio. Vial shattered and the frit went everywhere. DRAT!! I thought I could sweep it up and still get a bit to use but the addition of dirt and dog hair did not work for me creatively..LOL.. I may have to suck it up and buy a jar from Val if she still makes it.
Ave

Old 2011-02-23, 5:04pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
The lentils in my pic are 18mm
Thank you! I always find it hard as a newbie to gauge the sizes of beads, especially in pics.

Mary & Ave, more gorgeous beads!

Old 2011-02-24, 2:16am
I'm a lilac!

I'm so happy and honored to have provided inspiration to my fellow glass nerds! I keep meaning to jot down some more recipes, but for now here's a very simple one: Reichenbach Multicolor Dark frit mixed with Reichenbach 108, on a base of Uroboros Dark Green, well-heated and allowed to flow and sag before final shaping:

Old 2011-02-24, 5:27am
Ave

Wow! Uroboros Dk Green huh? I would never think of that and MCD together.. Great reaction

Old 2011-02-24, 6:02am
Isinglass Design

Great idea! I virtually never use frit except raku and iris gold. But I'll be checking this out!

Laurie
Old 2011-02-24, 9:51am
I'm a lilac!

Forgot to clarify that it's the transparent dark green... it's really pretty on the opaque as well though!

Old 2011-02-24, 11:01am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I'm so happy and honored to have provided inspiration to my fellow glass nerds! I keep meaning to jot down some more recipes, but for now here's a very simple one: Reichenbach Multicolor Dark frit mixed with Reichenbach 108, on a base of Uroboros Dark Green, well-heated and allowed to flow and sag before final shaping:

That is gorgeous, Kalera!

Old 2011-02-24, 11:17am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

Old 2011-02-24, 11:27am

Just soft glass frit? Wondering because I started a boro frit cookbook while back and was wondering if I should post here or start (continue?) a similar thread in the Boro room? Awesome idea, BTW.

Old 2011-02-24, 11:30am
Ave

Hey I am thinking we should all be one happy frit family.. Since we are sharing recipes it is easy to clarify what glass we are cookin with..
Ave

Old 2011-02-24, 12:48pm

Default Boro Frit: An Ode to Amazon Bronze

Ugh. I hadn't remembered what wretched pictures I took of these samples, but here are a few that (almost) show how neat these beads actually look. I'll have to make a few more and get better pics. Until then:

* dot (like you were putting dots on a bead) the top ½” of a 7mm GA Butterscotch rod with 3mm clear (would also work to dip rod tip into #38 or #25 clear frit)
* wrap and twist two wraps onto a mandrel
* encase (2 wraps of 5mm Simax)

* 2 wraps 7mm NS Blue Amber Purple
*Rolled in #38 GA Clear frit
* Encased (2 wraps of 5mm Simax)
* Flame struck

* 2 wraps 3mm Simax clear rod
* 1 wrap 4mm GA Persimmon Strike
* Rolled in #70 GA Amazon Bronze frit
* Encase (2 wraps of 5mm Simax)
* One flame struck, one not (I don't know which is which anymore)

* 2 wraps 4mm GA Clover
* Rolled in #38 GA Clear frit
* Encased (2 wraps of 5mm Simax) & flame struck

* 2 wraps 7mm NS Butterscotch
* Rolled in #38 GA Clear frit
* Encased (2 wraps of 5mm Simax) & flame struck

Last edited by AutEvDesigns; 2011-02-24 at 1:12pm.
Old 2011-02-24, 2:16pm
Ave

Whoa.. the Blue Amber Purple makes me wish for a stronger torch..
Ave

Old 2011-06-14, 8:55am

This is one of those frits that is a pinch of this and a pinch of that and by the end of pinching, you don't have a clue of what went into it. I know it has some multi dark frit and some blue calcedony and some psyche and some luna. I think i added some sasha too. it is on a copper green base.
Old 2011-06-14, 5:09pm

This is cool - I'll play. These are boro.

Small base of white, a few wraps of Irridescent, rolled in blue and green exotic, and encased in clear.

Old 2011-06-14, 6:32pm

Pretty beads, Susan....
Old 2011-06-14, 8:07pm

Thank you polka dottie! I like yours too! I love how the copper green is peeking through