No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-12, 6:15pm
Dilly53

Default New Bead Release

There have been quite a few comments regarding the demise of Bucket O'Mud and the many problems caused by the lack of a reliable bead release and the ebay sales that didn't go through (I was one of the unlucky ones!). I am so excited to tell everyone about a new bead release that is making its debut at Frantz and will soon be offered by other vendors. I was chosen as a tester for this bead release several months ago, and just found out today that the sample I liked the best is available with a few minor changes that were suggested by the testers. The maker of this new product previously worked at Frantz and used the training he received there to make a great product. His company is Planet Glass Products and the bead release is called Universal Bead Release. I think there are a lot of lampworkers who will cheer about this new release.

Last edited by dilly53; 2011-04-13 at 7:20am.
Old 2011-04-12, 9:08pm

Tried it and LOVE IT!! It is super-strong, and even though it prefers to air-dry, if you give it about 10-15 minutes, and flame-dry towards back of flame-it works great! Easy-peasy. Its definitely my new fave!
Old 2011-04-12, 11:48pm

How easy is it to get the beads off the mandrels? I make really long beads and have a really hard time getting them off with a lot of releases. Also how does it hold up to presses and bead rollers? I wonder if they will sell samples!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-13, 6:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
How easy is it to get the beads off the mandrels? I make really long beads and have a really hard time getting them off with a lot of releases. Also how does it hold up to presses and bead rollers? I wonder if they will sell samples!

That is why I loved Foster Fire, sadly the last bottle I got broke all the time, I couldn't use it at all, the release kept breaking off no matter what I did. But those beads used to slide off the mandrel like butter!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-13, 7:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
Personally, I'm halfway thru my 8oz bottle, and haven't had one bead NOT come off the mandrel-longest of said beads being probably 1 1/2". But I soak the beads on-mandrel for 5-10 minutes before removing.
I'm a huge fan of flame-drying bead releases, so my biggest concern was the preference of air-drying, but have had amazing success with giving them minimal (10-15 min) air-dry time, then introducing to cooler part of flame to finish the dry..keeping in mind that I'm in Idaho (mountain/desert-dry, dry, dry climate!) and humidity will make a difference on this, as it states on the label.
Compared to others I've used (all of them, lol), i'd say its of medium consistency, not super thick, not super thin. Also, given the inevitable bottle shake, before coating-i haven't had one "grainy chunk" (lol) on my mandrels. Nice & smooth. And I haven't yet messed with the consistency-not added water, or let it thicken up..yet. But as I get closer to the bottom of the bottle, that will be another trial.
My own personal conclusion, and I'm NOT an official tester of this product-just someone who happened across a bottle at a friend's-Universal Bead Release is a very accomodating bead release. Not tempermental. Definitely worth checking out!

Last edited by Ladymorgan; 2011-04-13 at 7:28am. Reason: changed numbers to match previous post
Old 2011-04-13, 7:29am
Dilly53

Default Bead Release

I tried making all kinds of beads when I tested this product. I usually make heavily encased small beads with a lot of internal and external decoration. I didn't have a single problem getting the beads off the mandrels and none of the release broke despite all my tugging and melting while I was forming the bead. I also make a lot of pressed beads and larger focals. I had no problems getting these off the mandrel. The only issue I had with the test batch was that it was a bit too thick, which is one of the issues that was corrected for the first roll out of product. I believe in it strongly enough that I just ordered the large jar. BTW, I was only a tester for this release, I don't have any other interest in the product.
Old 2011-04-13, 7:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2 View Post
That is why I loved Foster Fire, sadly the last bottle I got broke all the time, I couldn't use it at all, the release kept breaking off no matter what I did. But those beads used to slide off the mandrel like butter!!!!!!!!
I have not used Universal with a press, yet, so I can't say how it will hold up..but based on my experiences with it so far-I'm not afraid!! FWIW-Its definitely going to be the next bead release I order. I'm hoping some testers chime in here with their results, to see if mine were the same..
Old 2011-04-13, 7:56am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Hey, Gail, if you want someone to test how the release behaves with long beads or huge pressed lentils, all you have to do is ask!

Old 2011-04-13, 8:06am
Dilly53

Default Bead Release

Hi, Evelyn,
Are you going to the bead show this weekend? If so, we can meet up there and I can give you a small sample to test for yourself. I really am happy with this product especially after all the drama surrounding the BOM fiasco on ebay. It's a relief to have a product that I know will hold up through the entire working process and still make it easy to remove the beads from the mandrel. Yikes, I sound like a commercial! Hey, do you know if the bead show starts Friday or Sat? It would be great to see you there, or if you want you could come and get your sample and we could ride down together!
Old 2011-04-13, 8:55am
da General

I have yet to find a bead release for all my needs - from long 2.5" beads to large-hole beads (from 3/16" to 1" mandrels) - so I use different ones. I will be interested to find out if this new one can do both!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-13, 9:55am
Old Time Bead Maker

I was the pre-tester for all of the testers of this new product and I was honored to do so!!! I have put this release through it's paces...long (3"), short, fat, skinny, pressed, cut and dragged from here to...well....let's just say, I've done it all...
The product is EXCELLENT!!! And I'm not related to the company in any way, shape or form.
I use primarily silver glass and you know how much heat that glass needs...it handles it without a crack, flake, flare or anything else for that matter. Two hours plus in a HOT direct flame....not even a hint of a problem. I have used every size mandrel there is I think and again, not any problem whatsoever. I started testing during the fall and mandrels that have sat now through winter and into spring are still performing without a hitch. My studio has been cold (40 degrees) warmed up and cooled down again and the mandrels I dipped in November are still holding up perfectly.
I LOVE IT and I think I have finally found the perfect release!!!
Try it...you won't be sorry.

Sincerely,
Sue Stewart

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2011-04-13, 12:19pm
visit my etsy!

wow - any chance of getting some in the UK?

I have to say the one and only bucket -of-mud I bought went in the bin, I thought it was dreadful. Cost a bloomin' fortune too.

If testers are still required..... lol

Kirsty

Old 2011-04-13, 3:43pm
SierraCatz

Sue ....Did you by any chance try it on large hole mandrals...at least 1/2 inch across or more...or with cgbead rollers..I find that I have lots of trouble with the cyclinder bead roller & sticking...also the cone mandrell Yikes...I have had to destroy lots of those beads because I cannot remove them .

Let me know your findings

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2011-04-13, 9:38pm
Old Time Bead Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracatzlampwork View Post
Sue ....Did you by any chance try it on large hole mandrals...at least 1/2 inch across or more...or with cgbead rollers..I find that I have lots of trouble with the cyclinder bead roller & sticking...also the cone mandrell Yikes...I have had to destroy lots of those beads because I cannot remove them .

Let me know your findings
Hi again,
I have used the release on mandrels up to 1 inch in diameter and had no problems. I have used a cgbead roller. It didn't flake off on the ends while rolling in the bead cavity if that is what you have an issue with.
I have used many presses with multiple pressings per bead. It holds tight. I especially like being able to hit the flame right on the ends of the beads. This works great when using striking colors...something BOM failed at miserably but...alas.
Hope this helps in some small way.

Sue

Old 2011-04-13, 10:08pm
one day at a time

Is it really really smooth textured like KRAG Mudd, and easy to get the beads off? I prefer the super smooth texture like the KRAG has for transparent beads and BHBs. But if it's got a nice texture like Fusion (my other favorite), then it's worth a try in my book.
Old 2011-04-14, 12:38am
Old Time Bead Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Is it really really smooth textured like KRAG Mudd, and easy to get the beads off? I prefer the super smooth texture like the KRAG has for transparent beads and BHBs. But if it's got a nice texture like Fusion (my other favorite), then it's worth a try in my book.
Hi...
In my humble opinion...it is sooo smooth. There is not a hint of graininess to be seen while the mandrels are drying and after they are dried as well. It cleans out beautifully as well.
The beads come off the mandrels everytime. I break the release off the mandrel on each side of the bead before I put them into hot, soapy water for a little bit....15 minutes to the next day on occasion. I still like using a waffle-weave grabber to hold onto the bead while twisting if off the mandrel but that's just how I do it. I also find using hot water while removing the beads works well but again, that's just me and that was what I did with BOM as well.
Good luck and if there are any questions you can come up with, just ask me...I'll be here and do my best to answer them.

Sue

Old 2011-04-14, 1:02pm
one day at a time

Thanks for the info, I appreciate that! I'll have to try some.
Old 2011-04-14, 5:55pm
Redbearmountain

Awesome to hear! I wonder when it will be available? I currently use fussion from Frantz Art and it's wonderful. Looking forward to trying it out.

Old 2011-04-14, 6:39pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I love my kragg mud but I have isues with it sometiome for large lentils and flaking, I need something a bit tougher, but, I want it to clean out well like the kragg mud does.

how is it with boro beads? the extra heat and stress?

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-04-14, 11:41pm
Old Time Bead Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
I love my kragg mud but I have isues with it sometiome for large lentils and flaking, I need something a bit tougher, but, I want it to clean out well like the kragg mud does.

how is it with boro beads? the extra heat and stress?
Hello...
I have used the new Universal Bead Release on my lentils...1 inch to 2 inch sizes. I am a stickler for rounded ends on my lentils so I have to push and prod sometimes to get those rounded edges. I have yet to crack this new release in the process.
It does clean out smooth. The graininess of some releases is what leaves the "rough" inside the bead hole but with this product, since it is sooooo smooth, you don't get the pits and rough texture inside the hole.
As for boro...I have not crossed over to the "dark side" but my husband David does boro and did some testing...not a lot since he doesn't make beads but...he did manage a few oddly shaped "things" on mandrels... They held up in the intense heat without a hitch. Those "things" did come off the mandrels with ease but whether or not they would be called beads is left up to the imagination... They had holes and the release did clean out just fine...
Planet Glass Productions - Universal Bead Release has been tested so well and with such great care and concern for the bead makers, I just don't see how you could go wrong with this product!
I read in the Frantz Art Glass newsletter this evening that it is now available from them.
Any more questions, I'll be here as well as other testers I'm sure to help...just ask away...

Thanks,

Sue

Old 2011-04-15, 2:50am
Entropy increasing....

I tested it too and I loved it. My only wish is that it dried in the flame.

It's green.
Old 2011-04-15, 4:22am

What are the ingredients? ?silicone

Old 2011-04-16, 11:13am

Ok, so who is making it and when will it be available. I could use a release that isn't always cracking in the brass presses.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2011-04-16, 11:55am

I saw it on Frantz's website.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2011-04-16, 12:52pm
and your little dog too

I tried also and I too really like this, it's way better than BOM I dare say...which was my fav.

I make a lot of BHB (not pandora, big hole to me 1/2 or more) and it held up.
Tried also with just clear and holes seem as clear as you can get, as others said it's very smooth.

There's no coloring to the final like we tested, and the only problem I had with one of the two (I think the one that's released) was that it was just a tad too thick for what I like, but I thinned it.
Supposedly this is thinner so sounds like a win for me.

I air dry anyways and it dries faster than my others, even my big mandrels that normally take long were faster, normally it's dip and wait the next day, these were ready when my thin mandrels were

~happy it's out and just put an order in, can't wait to try the final

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....l+Bead+Release

edit to add, this says flame dry also..so who knows?

Old 2011-04-16, 1:08pm

Elasia, Thanks so much for the info. I placed an order for it. Actually it's just in time because my release was running very far down.
Thanks again.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2011-05-02, 4:14pm
Carpe Beadum

I just tried this new bead release too, and I loved it! It's very smooth, and it was pretty thick so I thinned it. I actually had to put some in a new container to add water because the 8 oz bottle was full to almost the very top. I let the mandrels dry overnight.

I had horrible problems with my previous bead release cracking if I applied too much heat. One complicated style of beads had a 75% fail rate for the bead release cracking before I was finished. So I was very eager to try something new.

On my first torch session I made eight beads. Some beads were encased silver glass, and some were encased beads with surface decoration. Only one mandrel flaked too early in the process to continue, and that's because I got my mandrel red red hot in one area. Two other beads had flaking next to one hole, once again because I heated too much for too long, but I was able to continue working on the bead for another fifteen minutes and finish it, because the bead release directly next to the glass remained intact, and the bead was firmly attached to the mandrel and didn't spin. I didn't need to do anything special to continue either; I just decided to keep working.

Out of the seven that were successful, five came off the mandrel immediately and easily without soaking. Two mandrels had to be soaked in water for the 15 minutes recommended time, and then they came off easy as pie.

I am soooo pleased with this new bead release. I hope they never change their formula because I plan to be a lifelong customer.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2011-05-06, 8:30am

Sue, appreciate your post regarding your husband’s attempt with Boro and Universal bead release. Anyone else with Boro?

Laura
Old 2011-05-06, 4:30pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Hi, has anyone from Hawaii tested this bead release? I know the different releases act differently in humid climates, and having done lampworking with my old Bucket o' Mud bottle in California, Florida AND Hawaii, I can say that Hawaii is the worst for bead releases. I have to soak my barrel beads on the mandrels overnight to get them to come off. I have the problem of not only the humidity acting on the bead release itself, but of the mandrels RUSTING under the bead release when I leave the release to dry overnight. (Yes, things rust very fast here.) Of course, I can't dry the bead release in the flame, it just doesn't happen.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-05-06, 5:11pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi All,

I'm having some issues with this br. it pools in the middle of my mandrelsbut drips down, too. I figured it too thick so I thinned it and now if I pull my mandrel out real slow it has a nice coating, but if I pull the mandrel out quick(which I thought was how you get a thicker coating?) it it waaayy too thin and just drips itself to nothing. before thinning, slow dip pooled in the middle causing lump, quick dip dripped down and poooled but left the top of the mandrel almost bare.
thanks for the help in advance
namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible