No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2017-07-26, 11:48pm

Default Disposing of bead release

Hello folks.

I note that there were a range of safety warnings on my bead release, so it may not be good for the environment either.

What is the best way to dispose of water that has bead release in it? My sewer goes into a tank and leach-field in my garden - I don't use washing liquids with high salt content as a result.

-- Steam
Old 2017-07-27, 5:26am
Phill

I had not heard of any environmental issues with bead release.

Robin (Foster Fire) makes and sells bead release and is also a middle school science teacher as well so perhaps she can answer your questions.

You might want to do a search of "bead release" and see if any negative comments come up.

I understand it is mostly made from things like kaolin which is a type of clay and although it could accumulate in your plumbing there shouldn't be any hazard to the environment.

I would simply pour it out in my gravel drive myself like I would fire place ashes.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-07-27 at 5:29am.
Old 2017-07-27, 10:10am

Yep, it's hazardous to breathe while dry, not to be exposed to.
Old 2017-07-27, 10:59am
Queen of the milo field

Questions on a particular brand might best be answered by manufacturer.

When I first started about 2003 I thought nothing of letting it go down the drain. Don't positively know it caused drain pipe to disintegrate, but we ended up having to replace the trap under that sink.

We use a lagoon - clay would only seal it better. Don't know if I'd let it go into a septic tank where it would be deposited & cause a need to pump it out sooner. Might eventually - years - contribute to filling leach field pipes.

Now I toss it out the back door onto the gravel path. I've never noticed any grass kill or other problems in the surrounding areas.

dj
Old 2017-07-27, 2:03pm

Most bead release is a combo of kaolin/graphite/preservatives. No harm in throwing it out, just don't breathe the dust. Or, you could do like the super thrifty do and recycle it. Wait for the water to mostly evaporate, swish around the break up large particles, dip fresh mandrel and go a second time. Not that I've ever done this, but I've read of it being done.
Old 2017-07-27, 4:34pm
Phill

I think the stuff that comes off a mandrel once it has been torched won't function as bead release anymore but apart from not breathing it and not letting it collect in the lower corners of your plumbing it should be safe enough.

I pour used bead release from the bottom of my bead cleaning bucket on my driveway.
Old 2017-07-27, 9:59pm

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I just dispose of it in various spots around the garden to spread the clay effect out. At least that's not going to affect my soil, which I could probably bloody fire in the kiln to produce pottery as it is.

I'm lucky enough to live above a platypus colony so we have to be a bit careful what we do
Old 2017-07-28, 6:41am
Phill

If you live in a wet area you could dig a hole a foot deep and pour it in there and cover it and that should keep it from migrating anywhere for a good couple hundred years at least.
Old 2017-07-29, 12:09pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I realize that conventional wisdom is "don't breathe the dust" and I don't recommend it, but it is actually more hazardous to breathe household dust than bead release dust, as a comparison.
Old 2017-08-07, 7:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
I realize that conventional wisdom is "don't breathe the dust" and I don't recommend it, but it is actually more hazardous to breathe household dust than bead release dust, as a comparison.
I've heard the main concern is silicosis resulting from inhalation of crystalline silica. Are any of the Fosterfire line crystalline silica free?
Old 2017-08-07, 8:57am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I just stepped out the door and poured my old release into a weedy area yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-09-29, 8:59am

Harmful to breath.
That's why beads go from the kiln (cold) straight into a pan of water for removal.
Dremelled clean under running water in a separate pan with a little recirculating pump

I just dump the water and dissolved release under a tree in the yard.
Dust to dust
Old 2017-09-30, 1:47pm
It's all about the color.

I just dump mine into the grass at the end of our front porch. Haven't noticed a problem yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2017-10-08, 8:41am
addicted to dichro

Enough of it could make your septic tank less effective so try not to let it go down the drain though.

Old 2017-10-08, 10:47am
File not found

I pour that water down mole holes in my yard. I keep hoping it might discourage them.

Old 2017-10-08, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steampunked View Post
I'm lucky enough to live above a platypus colony so we have to be a bit careful what we do

...You do realize that that statement requires pics, right?
Old 2017-10-09, 7:32am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I have a sink that empties directly out onto what used to be a red clay racetrack that the former owners built. We had topsoil hauled in on top of the clay and that's where my studio sits (albeit 2' closer to the house since Irma and the tornado, but still on the red clay). I put all my beads into a sink of water, let them soak, Dremel them, rinse off my mandrels, then pull the plug. The sink empties directly into the red clay (which you could probably use to do sculpting!) and both my beads and my mandrels are clean. This is all in the back of an acre of land and the septic tank is elevated about 12' and in the front of the acre and the house. I'm not worried about harming the environment or myself, as I keep everything wet as I clean it down wet dust can't fly.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2017-10-09, 3:19pm

I clean my beads in a container of water. I pour the dirty water through a coffee filter. Pour the water outside and throw the filter and release bits in the garbage.

It's fired clay. I wouldn't want it going down our pipes.