Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-12-12, 5:16pm
wabbit swayer

Default Patterned Shards Tutorial

Enjoy!!

http://www.glassgirl.com/shards.html

-Jen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MiniCC, bottled propane, 10LPM oxycon

Last edited by Jennifer Geldard; 2005-12-12 at 5:33pm.
Old 2005-12-12, 5:31pm

Great tutorial Jen!! Thank you! Can't wait to give it a try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-12, 5:51pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Well THAT explains alot...mumble grumble mumble...I was attempting and borderline half-ass succeeding using the "bubble maker" method...remember those plastic straws with tubes of goo we had as children...we made big sticky balloons...take it from me, that method leaves MUCH to be desired...

Thanks for the very clear info on what I should have been doing,

Chris

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2005-12-12, 6:15pm
Aquarian Artist

Great tutorial!! Sadly, yet another thing I will probably never have time to try! But I saved it for future use.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature" - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 2005-12-12, 6:24pm
Cheerfully Profane

Great tut. Still don't know what I am doing wrong. Keep getting holes even though I am winding thick wraps and adding frit, etc. Grrr. PPP, I guess.

Rebekah
Old 2005-12-12, 6:35pm
wabbit swayer

One more thing to remember...
If for instance, you use white and black, remember that the black glass is much stiffer... (and you know how runny white and ivory can get).. the black is going to resist blowing out a bit more than the white, and your bubble will constrict at the black wraps... does that make sense? Try to make the base of the bubble with glass of the same consistency... and add your frit or stringer of a different consistency on top with breaks in between so the bubble will blow out evenly.
Hope that made sense.

Old 2005-12-12, 7:49pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Geldard
One more thing to remember...
If for instance, you use white and black, remember that the black glass is much stiffer... (and you know how runny white and ivory can get).. the black is going to resist blowing out a bit more than the white, and your bubble will constrict at the black wraps... does that make sense? Try to make the base of the bubble with glass of the same consistency... and add your frit or stringer of a different consistency on top with breaks in between so the bubble will blow out evenly.
Hope that made sense.
Exactly!!!!!

Great tut, and beautifully done!

Try some enamels in the mix, too!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-12-12, 8:57pm
oxygen deprived

Nice clear photos and explanation!

But isn't it easier to just stick a big blob of glass on the end of your mandrel? That's what I started doing after I got... well, lazy. : P I began by making nice wraps, but I like to use stubs, workable bits, and leftover stringer to make a big messy glob, so the built-up hollow would get very uneven all around. Maybe the globby-blob method is too hard for a beginner?
Old 2005-12-12, 9:28pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Great tutorial!!! Thanks for sharing your time & talent!!! Now for the dumb question....how do you get the remains of glass off the hollow mandrel....if I read correctly, the mandrel is attached to the ball until you break it?????

Old 2005-12-12, 9:50pm
Ad astra per aspera

Excellent!!!! Thank you so much Jen!!!

Old 2005-12-12, 10:37pm
all for the love of glass

Thanks Jen...I always love to see photos. I can't tell though...do you leave it in the flame as you blow? or take out during the blowing?

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2005-12-13, 5:36am
wabbit swayer

I don't find the blob method easier... some do, but I almost always blow out a side when I try that.
The remains of the glass can be shocked off the mandrel by heating them up in the flame, and then dunking them in cold water.
I take it out of the flame when I blow.
The ball should be evenly molten, so you definately need to keep it spinning, but there's no need to hover in the flame.

Old 2005-12-13, 7:12am
Hole Challenged

Great tutorial!

I'm curious, instead of cooling the bubble and then breaking with a hammer could you simply stick the hot bubble in water? I'm thinking it may give you too small of pieces but was curious if anyone had tried it.

Old 2005-12-13, 8:45am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Geldard
The ball should be evenly molten, so you definately need to keep it spinning, but there's no need to hover in the flame.
I've discovered that, for me at least, "hovering it in the flame" leads to weak spots and blowouts, almost always! So I always take it out of the flame now before I blow, and have had hardly a blowout since.

Teresa
Old 2005-12-13, 8:47am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodie
Great tutorial!

I'm curious, instead of cooling the bubble and then breaking with a hammer could you simply stick the hot bubble in water? I'm thinking it may give you too small of pieces but was curious if anyone had tried it.
I've tried that, but eesh, the explosion! I like the whack it with a hammer method better, after it's been cooled.

Teresa
Old 2005-12-13, 11:05am
oxygen deprived

I rarely have blowouts anymore - but I did when I was learning. I like to do three puffs with a second in between and that seems to keep any areas which are starting to get thin from blowing out, since they cool. It's all a matter of finding which method works best for your own torching style.

Another method for breaking the bubble off is to just whack the mandrel on your work surface. : ) It's nice stress relief. : )
Old 2005-12-13, 11:25am

Thanks. It's terrific!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2005-12-13, 12:16pm
Floral Obsessed

Great tutorial, Jen!!! And beautiful shards. It inspires me to try to go bigger and more intricate with mine. I've been avoiding putting my finger over the open end of my hollow mandrel - I'm afraid of hot air coming out and burning my finger! But you've done this and it's safe? I know that one can burn one's self with steam from the open end if there's moisture in the mandrel... But it's safe when it's dry? Please reassure me! Thanks for the wonderful photo tutorial!!! Cheers -Heather
Old 2005-12-13, 12:28pm
wabbit swayer

Yes Heather.. it's safe
Just think of all those glassblowers out there puting their mouths over the tube. As long as there's no moisture, you should be just fine.
And since there's no release on the tube, the chances are better that there'd be no moisture

Old 2005-12-13, 1:17pm
Floral Obsessed

*blush* Hey, that *is* pretty reassuring! *laughing at myself for being a dunce* Thanks Jen!!
Old 2005-12-13, 7:56pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Super Tut - Thanks! Off to blow some patterned shards.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2005-12-13, 9:03pm

Jen,

Thanks for taking the time to do such a great tutorial. One of these days.....
Old 2005-12-14, 4:58am
You can call me Slater

Super Duper Tut Jen! Your a very kind and generous teacher to share this with us.............THANK YOU!!
Old 2005-12-16, 5:07am
boro color bender

Awesome technique Jennifer. I may have to add some twisties to mine now. I normally coil pot a single color and then start adding other colors and designs. This helps keep the base glass all consistent when blowing it out. I've got a short video I'll try to figure out how to link to. Shards are a ton of fun! It kind of makes you feel like a real glass blower!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-16, 8:21am
Booger #7

Very cool!!! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!! I'm going to go give it a try tonight!

Old 2005-12-18, 6:31pm

Default patterned shards tutorial

Well at first I didn't succeed. I do plan to try again. I can see why folks say that it's addicting.

Old 2005-12-23, 8:36pm
phrit phreak

I went to the studio and got busy blowing shards again...thanks for the inspiration
xoxox
lori

Old 2006-01-03, 6:55am

Default blown shards?

What do you use blown shards for? Like frit?
Old 2006-09-25, 11:42am
Covered in glitter

Well, I totally suck at this, but I am going to try again and again until I get it right! Could take a while...

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-09-30, 6:41pm
Mary Lockwood

Fantastic!!!! Thank you.