Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-06-24, 4:00am

Default where to put flashback arrestor

Ok due to fitting conflicts, my flashback arrestor will only go on closest to the propane tank, not the torch end (I'm going to be using a mini CC and oxygen generator) Is this cool?
Michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2010-06-24, 4:38am

You can overcome the fitting conflicts by getting adapters that will let you put hose barbs on either end. You can then cut your hose as close to the torch as feasible and insert your flashback arrestors at that point. A welding supply company is the best place to get the necessary adapters and fittings. It's better to have them close to the torch, but it's not the end of the world if they are at the tank. If you ever have a flashback, you might lose the hose (and it could be startling), but your tanks are protected.

Linda
Old 2010-06-24, 7:07am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
Ok due to fitting conflicts, my flashback arrestor will only go on closest to the propane tank, not the torch end (I'm going to be using a mini CC and oxygen generator) Is this cool?
Michele
There is two styles of flashback arrestors... One designed to go at regulator one designed to go at torches..... Since the connectors on FBA are identical, the determining factor is arrow on FBA indication direction of flow (also read text on package) .....

It may be possible to RETURN the FBA's for regulator and get the torch end ones....

At least having FBA at regulator is better than nothing....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-24, 10:12am

it's always been said to me, and is my opinion, that at the tank is better. it stops all flashbacks. at the torch offers no protection, say if a hot piece of glass burns through the hose, hose leaks and is ignited, etc.....

it's a stop all to have it on the tank. i would just leave well enough alone. besides, with a surface mix torch, you don't have much worry of flashback from your torch.

Old 2010-06-24, 2:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A leaking hose(burn through) is not a flashback and will not flashback, its simple a leak with a flame on it....

A flashback is a explosive event......

Dale

Old 2010-06-24, 6:49pm

OK. So maybe I'll keep the one I have and put it on next to the tank where it fits and get myself another one that will fit up next to my torch? Or will that mess something up?

If one at the tank will protect the tank from exploding that's my main concern of course. But if makes anything safer I'll get one for up against the torch also. Don't know what kind will fit my torch though??? A Mini CC?

Old 2010-06-24, 9:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

If the torch has "B" type connectors (threaded hose) it takes a industry standard flashback arrestor just like any welding torch.

IF mini has barbed connectors (hose push on) you need some short hoses with "barb to 'B' connector adapters" or have barbed connector removed from torch and substitute "B" connector so FB arrestors will connect directly to torch then welding hose will connect directly to FB arrestor...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-06-24 at 9:19pm.
Old 2010-06-25, 2:26pm

Call Steve or Chris at Mountain Glass Arts or Dave at ABR .. they'll getcha what you need and tell you where it goes
Old 2010-06-25, 5:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
i would just leave well enough alone. besides, with a surface mix torch, you don't have much worry of flashback from your torch.
Just so you know, while flashbacks certainly don't appear common on surface mix torches, it is possible. Had it happen to me. I believe I caused mine through pilot error - let my propane tank run out while I was working.

Linda
Old 2010-06-26, 1:44am

OK so what's the bottom line then? Am I safe with the one up against the tank end? Or must I get another for up against my torch too?

thank you all for your help.

Old 2010-06-26, 8:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Flashback arrestor at tank protects regulator... Sacrifices hoses in event of flashback.

Flashback arrestor at torch protect hoses and regulator...

You are safer with FBA's than not having them...

Surface mix torches are not prone to flashback (premix are) BUT they do happen...

You are safer with FBA on surface mix torch than without one....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-06-27 at 6:55am.
Old 2010-06-27, 3:09am

Good answer Dale.
thanks again
Michele

Old 2010-06-28, 3:59pm

I was wondering also. I do have one. Then look at it to shake my head in wonder. Ok now I know what part of my money will go to. Thank you all.

Rose Leslie
Old 2010-07-05, 10:52pm
Favorite color is shiny

I have to pipe in here... I placed my flashback arrestors at my torch (a surface mix). I've read a lot about safety on LE and I just felt that it was the best choice for me.

At one point, I was soo concerned, that I wanted to place them every 6 inches from Tank to Torch haha*...but alas, I just placed them at the torch end. I too, had to add adapters to make it work. My local propane store helped me out with what I needed once I explained what I was doing.

Now that my studio is 95% complete and I'm finally at the torch I've been so busy studying in "tutorials..." and buying "stuff" over in "garage sale" that I keep forgetting to post all my Studio Step by Step pics.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-07-15, 2:57am

Personally, I think either location is fine, but fit an arrestor in the location it was designed to be fitted.

Play safe with gasses, and you'll have safe play ;o)

Dave