Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-27, 10:06am
one day at a time

Default A brag on KRAG Mudd - it's really good stuff!!

I've had mine a while and started using it all the time recently. It's awesome! I will definitely buy more.

My climate is very humid, and even if the mandrels are dipped days or more than a week earlier, they are still good to go. No flaking. Really nice and SO smooth, more than any others I've tried, and I've tried almost all of them. Very durable and beads come off really easy. Best part - super clean holes on transparents! Oooo yeah!

I like it for the big-hole beads I'm doing now for nice clean holes. It is holding up really well, and no flaking off of these 1/4" mandrels.

you can get it here: http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/krag_mudd.php
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-27, 12:22pm

Anyone have any experience with Kragg mudd and boro?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-27, 12:25pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckeyes View Post
Anyone have any experience with Kragg mudd and boro?
That I wonder too! It seems pretty durable though. If I wasn't getting so low on mine, I'd send you some to try. Maybe someone here will chime in.
Old 2008-06-27, 12:43pm

What little bit I've played with boro,I've used the Kragg and had great luck. I do have trouble with the release flaking off my mandrels if they have been dipped for over 24 hours, but that's a small inconvenience for the way my beads come clean. It's about the only thing I use any more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-28, 3:02pm
Reality Impaired

I love this stuff! It's the only thing I've used for about 2 years now. I'm on soft glass so I cannot answer about the boro.

"A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something."
- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-28, 5:46pm

Lisi,
Your beads are always so lovely and perfectly formed. I love your color combinations. I can't believe how clear the holes are it really lets the beads shine.
Any one do heavy work off the end of a mandrel with it. I am coil potting some glass ornaments and my release breaks alot from the weight of the glass. I need super glue bead release. I am wasting alot of glass and time and loose about 1 in 4 just when the glass is about perfect to blow.

Thanks,
Alison
Old 2008-06-28, 6:43pm
Reality Impaired

I've done some blown vessels and a bunch of end of mandrel beads with no problems. Just let it set up for half an hour or so before heating it if you are working heavy duty.

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-06-28, 6:48pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I just went to the site to order. Do you have to call to order? Or as usual am I missing something???? Thanks, pat
Old 2008-06-28, 11:07pm
Lover of Life

I just went to the site too. I just wrote an email asking for prices and shipping costs, etc. Lisi, they'll probably be quite pleased with your brag for Krag. It does sound like great stuff! Thanks for the info.
Becky
Old 2008-06-29, 2:40am

If you call and ask to be put through to the studio to order, they will take your order over the phone. They are always very pleasant and shipping is super fast. Great service.

Old 2008-06-29, 6:42am
Sandi

I have been using KRAG Mudd for awhile also and I love how the beads come off the mandrels but I have been having a problem with it cracking when I use presses...I called the supplier and he had no idea why it is happening....does anyone else have that problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sandi

Old 2008-06-29, 7:41am

How much is it? I tried their website, but it doesn't seem to say. Also I couldn't order off their website. I emailed them yesterday, but as of yet, no response.
Old 2008-06-30, 8:09am

on the site it says it can be air- or flame- dried... has anyone tried flame-drying it? i'm a tad impatient, i'm afraid...
Old 2008-06-30, 9:35pm
Dances With Fire

kragg is awesome! I used it for eons..big beads little beads...I work soft glass...cant answer the boro ?. I have been using smooth and tough lately and like it too. Kragg is very non finicky..pricey if I remmebr correctly but worth it!

cleans like a dream too!

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-01, 6:00am

I flame dry frequently and it works just fine. Just let it sit on the mandrel long enough for any air bubbles to go away first.

Old 2008-07-01, 6:38am

Sadly, they don't ship to Canada
Old 2008-07-02, 7:42pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenMuse View Post
Sadly, they don't ship to Canada
Say What?! Maybe that's why I haven't heard back from them. Any Krag owners have a lot and would like to sell me some of theirs? Or anyone willing to ship to me in Canada if I have it sent to you? It seems extreme, but I've had waaaay too much trouble with bead release lately (mostly NOT releasing!), and I'm desperate for something I can count on, and this sounds like it could be it. Anyone know the price of this stuff?

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-07-03, 8:02pm
Lover of Life

Or, if anyone who reads this is thinking of ordering some, please let me know, then we can double up, if that's okay with you, and you could ship mine on to me up here...

The last few days I've had about half my beads stay on the mandrels (I've done freezer, vibration, vinegar, fabric softener, coca cola...). My hands are covered in blisters, and I'm so frustrated, I almost don't want to torch, because I might make something really pretty that I'll never get to use (I only have so many plants!)

I'm a desperate woman! I really want some Krag!

Old 2008-07-04, 2:24pm
Reality Impaired

I've never shipped anything to Canada. Is it a major problem or just involve filling out customs forms at the post office?

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-07-04, 4:27pm
Lover of Life

I don't know. I get most of my supplies from the US. I very seldom come across an American merchant who won't ship to Canada. I ship plenty of stuff across the border, and on the Canadian side, all it involves is filling out a couple of blanks (item description and value) on the customs sticker that the P.O. attaches to the package. No biggie at all, but it may be different the other way around.

Old 2008-07-04, 6:35pm

There's a really simple customs form. I've shipped there several times.
Old 2008-07-05, 9:55am
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydog7 View Post
How much is it? I tried their website, but it doesn't seem to say. Also I couldn't order off their website. I emailed them yesterday, but as of yet, no response.
It is $10.75 for the 5 oz jar, and $27 for the 16 oz jar.

Old 2008-07-05, 9:57am
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debx2 View Post
I've never shipped anything to Canada. Is it a major problem or just involve filling out customs forms at the post office?
In this case, it's the fact that they have to do it at the post office, which is about an hour away. It's just not worth their time...

Old 2008-07-05, 10:07am
-boring beads-

Hi!
Iīve mailed them, too, asking where I can buy it, and for shipping costs...but didnīt hear back...does anyone know where I can buy this bead release?
I still have some Bucket oīMud...which I love, but once I run out of it, and since BoM seems to be quite difficult to get...Iīd love to try some new stuff to have another option...Kragg Mudd sounds interesting...

Anastasia
Old 2008-07-05, 3:57pm
Moon Sparkle Studio

Question Cranberry colored beads

Are those beautiful cranberry colored beads hollow, and what color glass did you use to get that beautiful color?????
Old 2008-07-05, 9:29pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfid1 View Post
Are those beautiful cranberry colored beads hollow, and what color glass did you use to get that beautiful color?????
That's Val Cox's Tutti Frutti frit on Uroboros clear.

No, not hollow, but you gave me an idea!
Old 2008-07-07, 3:33am
-boring beads-

Hmmm...Iīve tried to google, but couldnīt come up with any other company selling this bead release...is Kittrell Riffkind the only one selling it? Or not...and itīs just my search abilities that do...hummm...suck? (hope so)
Do they have a shopping cart somewhere? Just cannot find anything...
Any ideas?

Anastasia
Old 2008-07-07, 8:51am
Reality Impaired

Kittrell is both the manufacturer and the only sales location that I am aware of. I found this stuff by accident during a trip to Dallas, I was just stopping by a local glass studio and supplier. Bought a bottle and never looked back.

- Frank Capra
Old 2008-07-07, 9:20am
-boring beads-

Thanks, Deb...that definitely explains why nobody else carries it...
Is it possible to buy it online or is it available locally only? (hard to imagine somehow, since so many people have it...)
Still confused and no idea where to buy Kragg Mudd....

Anastasia
Old 2008-07-07, 10:21pm
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Default It's the only release I use...

I really love this release - it cleans out great, can flame dry it - super one dip is all I have needed.

They don't ship overseas or out of the country due to the ingredients. I think it has to do with the materials used. I had asked them before about shipping over here to Germany and they said it was due to transportation of the ingredients.