Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-31, 8:12pm

Default Tool preference...

I am in dire need of shaping tools. I have one marver and a trio of brass picks/shaping tools.

If you were to buy shaping tools, would you buy brass or graphite? I realize that they may have different applications, so which would it make more sense to buy first? More uses?

I found these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-pc-Brass-Lamp...QQcmdZViewItem
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Etsy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-01, 12:48am

I agree with Kim. I own a flat graphite marver and a brass stump shaper and use those for shaping.
To make focals/large beads that are oval instead of round I would like an osibin graphite mold shaper that arrow-springs carries. Here's the link: http://arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html. Makes sense to me that if I want a round/oval shape, pressing/rolling my glass on a flat marver takes a lot more time and effort.
And now that I think about it I guess it depends a lot on what you are wanting to make.
Traditionally brass was to move glass and graphite to shape glass. Seems like both are being used for either one these days. Did that just confuse more than help? Sorry! I better go back to sleep.
Angela
PS: Looks like I'm following you around the board.

Old 2008-08-01, 9:15am
Dances With Fire

I have a large graphite marver that I use almost every session..prob 4x6. I second the osibin..although I will be buying that at the gathering this year. I also use my kim marver a lot...and the stump shaper. I use my razor and dental picks often as well. It really depnds on the type of work you are doing...shaped, scupltural..etc...

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-08-01, 11:03am

Thanks, all. It just seems like there are so many tools out there. I know I need something more "pointy" that the marver I have, which is squared off and blunt. I burned a small dental pick to death last week. The end of it was embedded in the bead and annealed.

I am mostly just doing beads, smallish ones at that.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-01, 11:18am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's the 101 basics of tools Brass vs Graphite:

Brass pulls the heat OUT of the bead.
It's really great when you need quick cooling to
get colors like from Raku and to cool down Boro
so you can begin the striking process.
It also "grabs" the glass so it's very useful for moving stuff
around when you are shaping.

Graphite doesn't absorb nearly as much heat from glass.
It's better (IMHO) for things where you need to glass to
stay hot so you can continue to shape it.
Example: When you are shaping a bead, you're better off
using a graphite marver, since you can roll, roll, roll until you
get the shape you want. With brass, you get about one, maybe
two rolls, and then the glass is too hard to move.
Also, when you are doing things like poking holes in glass,
I prefer to use a graphite pokey tool, since it can take multiple
thrusts and twists to get the hole right. If I use a brass tool,
I get about one twist before the glass freezes up.

Clear as mud?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-08-01, 4:55pm
Dances With Fire

thanks karen! now I need to buy a graphite "pokey" tool at the gathering...just happnes to be the one thing I dont have on my bench! hehe

crystal

...knew I shouldnt come back to this thread! there needs to be a 12 step program for buying tools! : )

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-08-01, 6:13pm

Nope, it was clear as a bell. That's exactly what I was looking for, Karen. I knew there had to be different applications, I just didn't know what they were. I think I'd be better off buying graphite for now and then one or two brass pieces later.

I'm having an awful time using any presses. I haven't given up yet, but I figure I should focus on the shaping hand tools and using gravity, etc. to move the glass.

Thanks, everyone! Good advice all around.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-01, 7:47pm
I think I could be a bead

I have a spreader(like a big fat butter knife) that I bought at a thrift store for a quarter. I use that almost everyday! I also use a graphite marver and a brass stump shaper. I only have the small stump shaper, but I might have to think about getting a larger one. They are all great tools!

Old 2008-08-02, 1:29am
FatCat Mama

I have the small brass Stump shaper, dental picks, a couple of brass poker/shaper thingies, and my new favorite the Trades' Bears Handy Oval Marver. Before I got the Oval marver, I used the top/handle section of my crunch press to do a lot of shaping.

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2008-08-02, 5:10am
Lover of all things color

My favorite "pokey" tool is a tungsten pick. The tungsten can take more heat and actually be right in the heat of the flame without burning or melting it.

As for the bead presses, I'm with you. I only have two and I just can't seem to make them work. I've put them asside for now, until I get the basics down. Maybe one day I will just use one and it will work, like magic.......LOLOLOLOL Right!

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-03, 9:32am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I've got lots of tools....but like everyone else, the ones I use the most are my brass stump shaper, a couple of graphite hand-held marvers, graphite torch marver, tungsten pick/drag combo and the tools that I absolutely could not work without is a large and long length of graphite for marvering - I got it from Trey Cornette www.treycornette.com and it is the main stay in my studio for shaping any/every base bead - keeps the glass evenly distributed and creates the ends we all want.....it's one of those back to basics and furnace work technique tools......couldn't live without it!

Thanks Trey!

Old 2008-08-03, 9:49am
Resident hippie

I have a set of artist pencils that has three graphite pencils in it. They are just like an ordinary pencil but made completely of graphite. I also had a short hexagonal fat one that I got in a art supply shop. I'd say these would only cost a small amount compared to a dedicated 'Lampworker's Tool' type of thing and could be used as a 'graphite pokey tool' Lol.

Beadanna
Old 2008-08-03, 10:29am

a very sharp paring knife, a palette knife and barious other kitchen gadgets will do you just fine. Remember heat control and gravity are your greatest sculpting tools.
jen
Old 2008-08-03, 10:35am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

My favorite tool wasn't my own tool.

There was some woman who was making goddess beads
(I can't for the life of me remember who ).
Anyway, I asked her what HER favorite tool was, and she
showed me this ancient dental spatula-like tool that was melted at the
tip and looked really weird. She said "I use this to make the backside
of the goddesses.....I call it...the BUTTMAKER".

That has cracked me up ever since.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-08-03, 11:14am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Pun Intended??? Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
"I use this to make the backside
of the goddesses.....I call it...the BUTTMAKER".

That has cracked me up ever since.

Old 2008-08-03, 12:53pm
I speak Murrini!

Ooo, Me! Me....!!!

I think that besides the obvious basic Graphite Marver, the most amazing set of tools around (for beginner through master) is Maria's (Whimzicalities) Mega Micro Brass Shapers - they're available right here in LE's Bead Classified:

http://www.lampworketc.com/ppc/showp...duct=604&cat=1

I didn't know I REALLY needed these until I got my hands on them - now I can't imagine torching without them!!! Check 'em out...I think shipping FREE, too!

~De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-08-03, 1:22pm
geekitude on two wheels

I couldn't live without my brass stump shaper and my tungsten pick/rake. Those brass tools look nice, but I probably wouldn't use any of them with regularity, or I might be drawn to one or 2. & use them instead of my knife and spoon.
The other tools I have a lot of use for are mashers, a good marble mold, and a pair of mashers I got from nortel that has a kind of curved shape to it. Most of my other tools sit & are clutter.

Beadanna- the graphite in pencils is not the same quality as the graphite in lampworking tools. They are not dense, and have a lot more carbon in them. They will burn if you try and use them to marver or poke anything (ask me how I know )
Old 2008-08-03, 3:22pm

I have three of Maria's micro brass tools and I use them a lot! Sounds like I could use a tungsten pick and a roundish sort of marver.

I don't know about the butt maker. I haven't ventured into the world of buttmaking yet.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-03, 6:49pm
Mary Lockwood

I have a graphite paddle, a bent steel rake, a straight edged razor blade in a handle and a pair of mini mashers. Those are my most used tools.

I also have a pair of needle nosed pliers for fish fins and bird wings. A pair of glass shears for offhand work. One brass poker and a brass marver, but I don't use those often. I only use the brass marver for quick-cooling glass and the brass poker for nudging a flubbed encasement.

I could get away with my first 4 tools only but I would really miss my needle nosed pliers. LOL

~~Mary