Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-05, 2:29am

Default Kiln Wash

Hi, do you guys use Kiln wash in your kiln? I just purchased a Paragon Bluebird XL. I heard i had to coat the floor of my kiln with it.

Do you do it before every firing?

I just want to anneal my beads, do you put the bead on the actual floor of the kiln? or do you rest it in a way so that the bead doesn't touch the floor.

Thanks for any tips.

Old 2008-07-05, 4:03am

Yes you need to coat the bottom of your kiln in wash so that if you happen to make a mistake or the kiln just goes nuts and over heats any glass that is inside will slump/melt and drip on the floor of the kiln. If you do not have kiln wash on the floor and that happens you just as well throw it away because the glass will stick to the fire bricks and eventually eat it's way through them. I don't lay down wash every time I use my kiln, what I do is when I get ready to turn my kiln on I always open the lid and make sure there is no debris like left over bits of bead release and I run my fingers across the floor of the kiln, if there is still kiln wash on it my fingers come away with a white powdery coating on them, if not I brush on more kiln wash. You can lay your beads on the floor of the kiln to anneal but you have to make very sure they are cool enough going in or they will have a flat spot on one side. I recommend getting either a kiln rack or line the bottom of your kiln with fiber blanket. I actually have both in mine as I do some off mandrel work as well and didn't want to be putting the pieces on the floor. I figure better safe than sorry. Most of the glass suppliers carry the kiln racks and they are not that expensive. Hope this helps .
Donna
Old 2008-07-05, 5:09am

Thanks alot Donna,

Thats everything I needed to know!

Old 2008-07-05, 9:26am
Beadmaking.nl

I have this one:

I didn't put in kiln wash, i have a little ... (dont know the English word) from vermicilute to let the mandrels rest on, so they hang free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-05, 9:48am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl View Post
I have this one:

I didn't put in kiln wash, i have a little ... (dont know the English word) from vermicilute to let the mandrels rest on, so they hang free.
You still ought to consider kiln washing, or putting down fiber paper in the bottom. If your kiln overheats and the beads melt, they will drip off the kiln and become a permanent part of the kiln brick on the bottom. You will then have to cut the glass out of the brick and patch it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-07-05, 11:36am

We took a stainless steel bread knife fron the thrift store, took the handle off and then cut a slot in two small pieces of fire brick and laid knife in slots so that serated edge sticks up. Then we layed a thin layer of fiber blanket down on floor. The knife is at the back of the kiln and we lay our mandrel tips on this when we put beads in kiln. This keeps them off the floor and should they drip it will go onto the fiber blanket. The fiber blanket also doubles as a soft cushion for marbles or pendants. We have never used kiln wash, but it does seem like a good idea as a precaution.

Old 2008-07-12, 2:16pm
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
You still ought to consider kiln washing, or putting down fiber paper in the bottom. If your kiln overheats and the beads melt, they will drip off the kiln and become a permanent part of the kiln brick on the bottom. You will then have to cut the glass out of the brick and patch it.
I use always the same program. So when the kilntemperature would get that high that the glass melts, it must be a failure of the kiln.

Isn't then the dealer responseble. Or the factory?

Old 2008-07-12, 2:30pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Nope.

Paragon's warranty (even published on their website) specifically denies responsibility for any and all damage as a result of overfiring for any reason. Here's from their website.

Quote:
This warranty excludes: 1) Kilns or furnaces damaged by overfiring (exceeding the melting temperature of the material being fired) regardless of cause of overfiring; 2) Ware, tools, kiln furniture, or anything inside damaged by overfire; 3) Kilns allowed to exceed the maximum temperature shown on kiln’s nameplate, regardless of cause;
I'm in the midst of repairing a customer's Paragon 22" kiln that overfired and totally destroyed a kiln shelf, a load of molds, and melted a substantial hole in the floor. Even though we have to replace the controller, Paragon still refuses to accept any responsibility.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-12, 2:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl View Post
I use always the same program. So when the kilntemperature would get that high that the glass melts, it must be a failure of the kiln.

The mechanism that is controlling the coils turning off and on is a relay and they do sometime fail - usually in the on position. Once your kiln is out of warranty (usually a year at the most), YOU will have to pay to fix it. That is why the precautionary layer of kiln wash or fiber blanket or something. Your relay will eventually wear out.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-07-12, 2:54pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh yeah, and as Dennis mentioned, a "runaway kiln" (overheating due to relay sticking) is not usually covered under warranty. Should it be? Yes, imo, but it isn't.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-07-12, 3:46pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Oh yeah, and as Dennis mentioned, a "runaway kiln" (overheating due to relay sticking) is not usually covered under warranty. Should it be? Yes, imo, but it isn't.
In this case it's a brand new kiln under full warranty with a defective controller. Paragon agreed to replace the controller but will accept no responsibility for all the damage done because the controller caused a runaway kiln.

There's an old and always true statement that applies to satisfied customers.

A satisfied customer will tell 10 friends.
An unsatisfied one will tell anybody they can get to listen.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan