Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-04-25, 6:23am
Just a bit DOOPY DOO DAH!

Default New Camera - am I making a good choice.........

I am about to take the plunge and buy a new camera - need a little reassurance I am doing the right thing

This is what I have narrowed it down too for my budget -

the one I really want is this...........
Canon PowerShot SX200IS 12 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD

but it comes with a high price tag of £270

this is my 2nd choice and probably the one I will go for as it is less money at £ 160 ish

PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-TZ5 DIGITAL CAMERA +4GB 9MP and 10X Optical 28mm wide angle zoom lens

and then this is the third

NIKON COOLPIX P80 10.1MP 18 X zoom DIGITAL CAMERA

this has a price tag of about £210, this is my 3rd choice because it is bulky and doesn't seem a very friendly take out and about camera.

So I am just a bit cautious which one to go for, should I splash out and get the canon it has a fab write up but I hate the high price tag...........

Oh decisions decisions, can you spare a few mins and give some advice - I really would appreciate the help.

thanks, Michelle
Old 2009-04-25, 7:04am
Flaming Redhead!

I'd go with the Panasonic purely for the lens. Leica makes fabulous cameras and lenses...better than Canon in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-04-25, 7:47am
da General

I agree, Leica makes better cameras and lenses than Canon . . . at least it did in the film age. Canon, however, had been the leader in the digital photography era - but other manufacturers have been catching up!

Here is a review:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa.../verdict.shtml

The "verdict" is great . . . just one comment worth noting:
"It should also be noted the TZ5, like all compacts these days, greatly suffers at higher sensitivities. Keep it at 100 ISO and you’ll be happy, but anything higher, especially beyond 200 ISO, and the results rapidly deteriorate. And like its predecessor, the TZ5 remains pretty much an automatic camera only, so if you want manual control over exposure or focus, look elsewhere."

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-25, 7:51am
da General

One on the Canon - with its "super macro" mode:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...owershot+sx200

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-25, 8:49am

Wow that was interesting on the TZ5 - It only scored 16/20 for picture quality - hmmm -------

The thing is I can only afford 1 camera, so it needs to be able to take nice bead pictures and also lovely family and outside photos - but I don't want a bulky hang round your neck job. (I'll save up for one of those I do eventually want one).

I get lost when ISO gets talked about, I don't understand what that means, can you help me on that?

Right off to look at the Canon one now - my heart wants this camera but my purse is screaming at me don't do it

Michelle
Old 2009-04-25, 8:55am

Quote from digitalcamerareview - On the one hand, several key improvements – from HD video shooting to a wide-angle lens to a li-ion battery

It's the AA batteries that made me not go for the 110, I want li-ion battery power for longer life of picture taking. My old Kodak is rubbish and has really put me off any camera with AA battery power.

Well that review site seems to like the Canon but again had an issue with ISO thingummy - whatever that is

Oh what to do, this is not a decision I want to take lightly.

Michelle
Old 2009-04-25, 8:57am

[quote= And like its predecessor, the TZ5 remains pretty much an automatic camera only, so if you want manual control over exposure or focus, look elsewhere."[/quote]

Do I need to worry about this bit for bead pictures?

Michelle
Old 2009-04-25, 9:06am
Flaming Redhead!

Here's a good site explaining ISO... http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-fe...-settings/iso/

And manual control can be nice but it's not necessary. I use my camera on manual because I can adjust the exposure but it does an equally good job when I just set it to auto control.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-04-25, 9:21am

Thanks Alex - wow now I know ISO is about lighting the less light the higher the ISO and the more (putting it bluntly) crappy a picture. So as long as I have good lighting indoors to take bead piccies I should be alright with any of these three cameras. Would the canon be better though because it has many different picture settings on it?

Maybe I should have done a poll and actually asked out of the three what would be the preference.

Thanks so far Hayley and Alex I think the two in the running are the canon or the panasonic - so at least I am definately down to two.
Michelle