Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-28, 9:01pm
Booger #7

Default Thick wall, medium or standard?

What thickness tubing does everyone prefer for inside out beads, for ornaments, for ???? I want to order a case of tubing, but can't decide what diameter and gosh golly the whole thickness thing has me completely confuzzled!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-29, 6:27am
boro color bender

Medium is easier to start out with... heavy wall is easiest to control, but you'll need to blow it out thinner for the applications you're attempting, so Medium is a good compromise... it's thin enough to do inside out beads, ornaments and what not... but not so thin that it collapses with a little bit of heat... tubing is fun, but frustrating... just keep at it... it'll get your mind and hands working together with some practice.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-12-29, 7:05am
Borovangelist

I use 25x4 for my larger ornaments and 12x2 for the mini ones. I ordered 40 to play around with making goblets but I don't recall the wall thickness; I think I got medium.

I've only tried IO beads once (to disastrous results) and I'm pretty sure I used the 25mm for that. I should probably give that another try one of these days now that I've got some more experience under my kevlar.

|
|
Old 2009-12-29, 8:47am
randrew97

Sue, When I first started I used heavy wall for inside-out, but I don't recommend that. I would start out with 1" medium wall and definately pull points. It will take some practice, but you will learn to control the glass better using med. wall tubing. Also, you can make small christmas ornaments with 1".
Old 2009-12-29, 9:54am
Booger #7

Cool thanks guys!!!!

Old 2009-12-29, 3:14pm
ManBearPig

I use medium wall for most everything I do.

Old 2010-01-01, 4:30pm

How 'bout implosion marbles - medium still a first-timer's best choice?
Old 2010-01-01, 10:03pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinglass View Post
How 'bout implosion marbles - medium still a first-timer's best choice?
Yep.

Old 2010-01-07, 10:52am
Boro Bum

ABR is having a sale on asian glass and as I have never realy worked with tubing what would be good size to start with ? They have some weird sizes and thicknesses and I'm confused as what is med or heavy wall size.
25.4 mm with either a 1.5, 2.4 or 4 mm thick what would be med I'm guessing 2.4 but i seen menty said something about the 4mm thick.
also I would make some med to small spoons "been asked by friends" and was wondering what to get.
I want to make pendents, ornaments, spoons, small goblets, etc, about this size stuff.
I figured the asian at 1.50 a lbs would be a good deal for a tube beginner to get the feel for tubing.
main question what do I pick
25.4 mm with either a 1.5, 2.4 or 4 mm thick ?
19 mm with either 1.6 or 3.2 thick ?
16mm with either 1.2 or 3.2 thick ?
12mm or 12.7 mm with 1.6, 2.2 or 2.4 thick ?

Thanks
AcidFly

Last edited by AcidFly; 2010-01-07 at 10:54am.
Old 2010-01-07, 11:13am

for ornaments I'd use the 4mm thick tubing. I use 25 X 4 for pendants as well, but I'm not sure that everyone does.
Old 2010-01-07, 11:32am
ManBearPig

12mm is a good size for blow tubes and encasing opals
16 an 19mm are really too small to do much with
26, 32, 38, and 44mm are the sizes I use the most.

Always medium wall (except for 12 and 9.5mm, which I get with heavy wall)