Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-19, 2:59pm
Torchaholic ;)

Default need a good idea for clear rod and tube storage

Does any one have any good ideas for storing my clear rods and tubes on the wall? Trying to organize studio and want some sort of storage on the wall next to me to seperate and hold each size of rod and tube I have. Thought maybe someone has done same thing and could pass along some wisdom thanks. -JR
Old 2010-01-19, 3:13pm
Boro Bum

A picture of the area or a sketch if what your thinking might help use come up wit something check this thread for some supplies you might be able to use also there was a couple threads going about storage units and also there is a guy on here that is selling the pre made for not much more then you could do it yourself.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=151258

but for sure search the treads and the net for glass storage rack bin etc there tons of stuff on here.

Ya let us know some more info on the space and your ideas and we can probably come up with something

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-19, 3:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjr4484 View Post
Does any one have any good ideas for storing my clear rods and tubes on the wall? Trying to organize studio and want some sort of storage on the wall next to me to seperate and hold each size of rod and tube I have. Thought maybe someone has done same thing and could pass along some wisdom thanks. -JR
If you have the room, I suggest just leaving them in their original boxes, and cutting open a little door on the end of the box. It will save you a lot of time in glass cleaning and cut down on the scratches on tubes and rods.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-19, 5:06pm
Torchaholic ;)

Not sure I have room to keep boxes but kinda wish I did now I like less work always. Im working in small space and feel like having boxes in there is a fire hazzard. Attached pic of shop, wanting to store glass on the right wall below my bench got about 9 or 10 feet in length and about 3 feet up to work table. All my glass rods and tubes came cut in half so maybe rods on one side and tubes next to them. I dont have alot of glass and still buying small amounts at a time and prol wont be buying cases worth for log time. Was thinkin like angled up peices of wood or any thing i could screw into studs on wall and would hold glass across wall with out it being able to roll off. But also open to other ideas. Just want it kinda with in reach and up off the floor and out of way so under the bench would be using dead space. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-19, 7:52pm
Tamara Knight

PVC fence posts - the small ones are 1.5x1.5 the large are 2x2
I don't have trouble with dust or debris - the glass sits to the left of me on a 90 degree angle
and it is easy to re-order colors
The clear I do keep in the case boxes and cut them into 1/3 rods as I need them - I keep 2mm - 10mm in some of the 2x2 so I can grab any size I need
My chair swivels and I can reach almost everything
on the right side you can't see I have a rolling metal toolbox with frit and other stuff also easy to get to. If you get a tool box make sure you get a snapon or something with roller glides on the drawers so it can take the weight.

Old 2010-01-19, 8:07pm
Pyromaniac

All I can say is WOW look at all that glass!

Those look perfect for your space, but I did see some small rolling carts at IKEA for glass storage.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-19, 8:55pm
The Venerable Bead

holy crap marry me

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-01-19, 9:07pm
Borovangelist

So pretty.....

I'm looking for a good way to store the cases of clear too. Right now I've got a couple laying down, some in an awkward corner; it's a pain in the rear.

I'm considering one of those rubbermaid armoir type closets they sell to do vertical cases on one side and cube storage for color on the other side. Though it may just be easier to build my own.

|
|
Old 2010-01-19, 10:10pm
Torchaholic ;)

Ya I know about fences for storing color. I was asking about clear rods and tubes. It wouldnt really work the same due to there bigger diameter.
Old 2010-01-19, 10:47pm

I use PVC tubes to sort out the different clear rods. I label the outside with the MM size. I think I have rod envy with the studio shown a few entries above.
Old 2010-01-20, 6:15pm
szglassy

I keep my case rods in the boxes.
They are stored under a work bench ( stacked) and the ends cup open.
Like Eric said, it really helps to keep the glass clean and minnimize scratches while pulling them out of the box.
The bench was built in mind with the secured shelf on the bottom to stack the cases.
For odd tubes and rods,and colors I have another bench with a bottom shelf and large hole pvc tube stacked. It gets really dusty,but it's the best I could do to maximize space.
Old 2010-01-20, 7:44pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKnight View Post

Geezo Peezo! Is that where Frantz Art Glass gets their glass !!! Is that boro glass? If you were to plan it right, I'm sure that you could create a picture of the Mona Lisa if you stragically place your glass rod colors in those square cubbies just right!!
Old 2010-01-20, 11:58pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
PVC fence posts - the small ones are 1.5x1.5 the large are 2x2
I don't have trouble with dust or debris - the glass sits to the left of me on a 90 degree angle
and it is easy to re-order colors
The clear I do keep in the case boxes and cut them into 1/3 rods as I need them - I keep 2mm - 10mm in some of the 2x2 so I can grab any size I need
My chair swivels and I can reach almost everything
on the right side you can't see I have a rolling metal toolbox with frit and other stuff also easy to get to. If you get a tool box make sure you get a snapon or something with roller glides on the drawers so it can take the weight.

OMG!!! I'm having a glass envy atm
Are those all boro?

Old 2010-01-21, 8:14am
ManBearPig

I have a bunch of 1' pieces of PVC that are all glued together. They are standing on their end. I just stick my rods and tubes down in them.

Old 2010-01-21, 7:42pm

I store my long glass (4' to 5') in thier original boxes sitting on long pegs on pegboard. Then I cut down what I'm going to use in the near future and stack that in a pvc tube rack near my work table.

I don't mind combining different sizes in the storage boxes, you can easily tell the difference between 12mm and 8mm and whatnot, or maybe I'm just used to my sizes, I keep 3mm, 5mm, 8mm, & 12mm, and those are easy to tell apart anyway.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2010-01-21, 9:10pm
Tamara Knight

Yes - All Boro
about 90% have labels with numbers, color and bach date - OCD I guess
I won't show you the other side of the room with the Bullseye storage, and 104. As it might incriminate me as insane or something

I keep the clear rod in boxes like most of you do. Upright in the corner.
I take out what I need - cut it and put it in the storage sections as needed. I have about 10 sections for clear of different size. But I do not use as much clear as most since I make beads and pendants, almost no tube - just rods.

I will pass on the marital proposal and the PM to please be adopted and also pass on the offer to "watch" my house when I go on vacation - sounds fishy to me....
You all are funny....

Tamara Knight
Old 2010-01-24, 7:59am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
I will pass on the marital proposal and the PM to please be adopted and also pass on the offer to "watch" my house when I go on vacation - sounds fishy to me....
I know, right? I would at least want to see a picture of you before seriously proposing marriage (but oh, what a beautiful glass you have my dear!)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-25, 5:50am

I get my clear rod and tube from Mountain Glass Arts ... when they come, they come in a box around 4 ft long .... I built a tall holding box that I can slide the boxes in .... cut the box right at the front face and pull what I need from the "glass cabinet" I built ... I'll try and get a picture .... it's nothing but 4 2x12's spaced evenly apart and then held by plywood sides ... I can fit about 8 boxes, without busting open the boxes, just opening one side to slide the 4 ft rods/tubes out ... keeps em clean and dust free.
Old 2010-01-25, 7:36am

Here's a photo of what's to the right side of my work area. If you look at the bottom sort of to the left of center, you can see a white box with clear glass rods sticking up. It's one of those storage cube things you can buy most anywhere. Then I went to Lowe's and bought vinyl downspouts and cut them to 1 ft lengths and placed them in the box. They fit in there snugly, but if you need to put some sort of shim, you can place pieces of styrofoam to hold things snugly.

I keep the long rods stored in their boxes on a shelf or somewhere I can find space until I need to cut a bunch to fill the spaces. I have space for up to 16 different sizes of rods and/or tubes. I hope this makes sense.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-25, 8:02am
No Problem!

JR, I built this little rack the other day for my bench to help get color off of the table. I have three other simple "drilled block" holders that are fine but this keeps the rods all leaning the same way which is nice.

I'm showing you this because you could build one or more long sections like this along the vertical (maybe even on the upper angled) part(s) of the wall (for CHEAP).
Six pieces were used here. To mount one on the wall, skip the lower back piece so it mounts flush.

Use a hole saw to drill bigger holes like 1 1/2". They would easily hold a pound of color.
The frame is universal, just drill the top piece with the configuration you want.

Use a measuring square to map it out the center points of the holes and you'll make the most of the wood. If you don't have or know someone with a hole saw, that might be the big purchase, somewhere around $30 maybe a bit more for bigger one. I'm a fan of using a countersink for carpentry projects, makes it go together better and prevents cracking in the wood. Looks pro too.

The distance from the bottom to the drilled top will determine how short of shorts this will hold. At least 6" should give you good support. The one improvement would be to add some dividers at the bottom, just holes drilled front to back, in between each upper hole section with a mandrel stuck through would do it.
Not mandatory but it would help the rods/tubes all stand like soldiers.
Hope I made some sense.

(Beau & Shani)

Last edited by evolvingBeau; 2010-01-25 at 8:05am.
Old 2010-01-26, 12:48am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

ive seen someone with all there soft glass (full 1 metre long rods) put in a large metal garbage bin on end. It worked pretty well.
Old 2010-01-26, 5:02am
Jamaican Me Crazy

you might want to try some simple metal "L" brackets you may have to bend them just alittle to make them work. Try Lowes or Home depot they carry a multitude of sizes and fairly inexspensive. Good luck
Pete
Old 2010-01-31, 4:51pm
Torchaholic ;)

Thanks Alot Everyone These are all great Ideas, now to pick one and put it into work!