Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-11-12, 5:19pm

Default Canon PowerShot SD800 IS

All of a sudden I'm unable to download photos directly from my camera to my PC. It was working perfectly till yesterday. I don't know if I accidently changed any settings that would affect this. When I try to connect my camera I get a message that says "cannot detect camera". Can anyone out there give me some advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2012-11-12, 6:00pm

Please does anyone out there have any helpful suggestions. I've checked my user manuals and the internet and have come up empty.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2012-11-12, 6:12pm

Do you have the latest drivers for Win 7 if you are using Win 7.

Katie
Old 2012-11-12, 6:22pm

My favorite tricks are first to check the connections between the camera and computer. If you are using a cable check to be sure it is seated on both ends. Also check and see if the cable has any kinks that could lead to a break in one of the wires. Do you have another cable you can thy?

And the ultimate trick: Have you shut down your computer and then restarted it?

Another is to pull the batteries out of the camera for a little while. Also try a different set of batteries if possible.

These are the easy things that can sometimes solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Old 2012-11-12, 6:36pm

Sorry, I should have said that unfortunately I've been operating on Vista 32 bit and all was working till today.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2012-11-12, 6:39pm

Ann & Fred - I just put in a newly charged battery, reinstalled the Canon software, using same cable connection I have been using which was working through yesterday, connections are solid. I'll do some rechecking and also shutting down computer and restarting. Thank you for your suggestions.

I just spent the last several hours taking photos for my website which appear on the camera but have been unable to download them for editing.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2012-11-13, 5:29pm

Thank you for trying to help. Today I was able to call Canon directly. They walked me through uninstalling the device manager (Canon Camera) and reinstalling and that did the trick. They said possibly a virus software update or something computer related caused the failure. Camera downloads are working perfectly again.

SRA Member #F10

Diane
Old 2012-11-13, 9:15pm

sometimes to individual usb port will not recognize when something has been plugged in, try a different port if you have one

#C-151
Old 2012-11-14, 7:42am

Glad you got it fixed.
Katie