Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2007-07-13, 12:11pm

Default Scam Order??? Vendors and others....what do you think

I got an email a few nights ago asking for a contact for my company because this person wanted to order a large quantity of glass.
I sent them my name as the contact person and told them to tell me what it was that they needed.

I got the below email this morning. I'm pretty sure like 99.9% this is a scam BIG TIME but I'm gonna play with the little fella a bit longer and see how he reacts to my responses.

I wanted to share it and see if other vendors have received an email like this and if not, to just keep an eye on one going out similar to this.
I replied with the prices for the glass so now I want to see if he's going to ask me to charge it for him and then he'll pay me when the shipping company comes to pick it up (which is what I'm pretty sure is going to happen next)
We'll see....I sometimes like to lead them on.
Anyone know where to report this to?
Scam police?
Thanks
Irene

Good day Irene,
Thanks for your response below here is the list and qty of items that our
company needs.

Product: ASK-000 Assortment Pack 17 Rods #ASK-000
Qty...... 3

ASK-004 Lilac Ice #ASK-004 (1lb)
Qty...... 10

ASK-006 Lavender Fields #ASK-006 (1lb)
Qty...... 10

ASK-008 Berry Creamy #ASK-008 (1lb)
Qty...... 10

Please kindly calculate the total cost of the items,so that you can get the
order processed for us we we will email you my credit card account
information for the payment of the order and the shippment.
We would have picked the order directly from you with our DHL account but we
dont have account with them anymore,so don't include the shipping fees to
the estimate of the order,we will be having our shipper come and pick the
order from you directly,so what we want you to do about the shipment of the
order is that our shipper will be coming for the pick up directly at your
location,so as soon as we send our credit card account information to
you,you will then have to charge the money for the order,and also for the
payment of the shipping.
Because the shipper informed us that they are not yet set up to take credit
card for payment for now they are upgradding their credit card machine,so
what we want you to do is that you are to charge an additional sum of
$965.00 this will be the shipping fees and it will be paid to the shipper,
because we already have some merchandise with them in which after picking
our order from you,they will then send them together to us here in
philippines,so the funds can be transfered to them via western union money
transfer or International money gram,paid to the shipper who will come for
the pick up of the order,so if you are ok with this get back to us ,so as to
get the order processed and you will then complete the order for me.Thanks
for your corporation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yeah, complete and total scam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I had someone try to buy something off of craigslist with a similar scam (except using a certified check). I just emailed him back and said "cash only, asshole".

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-13, 12:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

thanks for your "corporation".
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-13, 12:33pm
Crazy tool making guy....

Holy run on sentence scam, Batman!

In all seriousness, this is a BAD thing..... this is the first scam I've ever seen that specified the items they wanted to order in the e-mail.

-Jeff
Old 2007-07-13, 12:47pm

So....they want YOU to run $965.00 extra on their CC, get a money gram or western union transfer with that (your real money and not their pretend money) $$, pay the 'shipping company who can't run CC's', AND give them the glass? I think you can be 100% sure that's a scam. Ask them if they want you to bend over while you're doing all that other stuff. What slime!

Old 2007-07-13, 12:59pm

This is the first email that I got from the person.......

Dear Sales,

we will like to order for some of your products,we are located in philppines and also have stores in England,we will like to know if you have the items in stocks,so kindly get back to me with the right contact person,email,phone # and confirmation of website,so that we can place my order quickly, and i want to know if you have your own personal shipper,or can the order be picked up at your store?? do you accept visa or master card for payment.. Please advise..

Regards
Purchasing Manager
Joseph Bello.

Old 2007-07-13, 1:06pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Sounds like a scam!

By the way, unless you know your customer personally do not let anyone use their own shipper to pick up items.

They are probably using a stolen account number and on top of everything else you will have the indignity of having to pay the shipping bill to DHL or FedEX or whoever - because they will bill you once they find out that the account number is stolen.

Old 2007-07-13, 1:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

These scams usually end up with you having been given s stolen credit card account, which ultimately gets charged back to you, including the $965 that they now have becuase you wired it to them.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-13, 1:36pm

Yeah...I can't wait to read the next email lol.
I don't think he even wants the product but he's gonna ask me for my credit card or account # info....Just a feeling I have.
Irene

Old 2007-07-13, 2:19pm

Cool bummer

What a bummer-maybe the first thing you should send them (COD of course) is a dictionary and an english-grammar guide!

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2007-07-13, 2:26pm
Facebook addict

Here is a site to report internet crime. It may work for your situation, don't know for sure.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2007-07-13, 3:15pm

That is really a scam!! When I receive emails with run-on sentences that are from another country I delete. It is very strange that they had specific types of glass though. If they were a regular company, they would be buying in bulk too, not by the pound.

String them along and be watchful of your website, and payment systems just to be on the safe side. Identity theft is so common now, just be careful.

Lois

Bead Gallery
Old 2007-07-13, 4:46pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Holy run on sentence scam, Batman!

In all seriousness, this is a BAD thing..... this is the first scam I've ever seen that specified the items they wanted to order in the e-mail.

-Jeff
Yes, they are just getting better at it.

Old 2007-07-15, 12:32pm
Junior Birdsman

Accdording to my husband, who has investigated these kinds of things, this scam is quite common. The $965 that goes to the "shipper" is typically split between the shipper and the scammer. The scammer tends to be outside the U.S. (and therefore not likely to be prosecuted) who often doesn't care about the goods as long as he gets the cash. The shipper is usually some local dupe who was recruited to participate.

The typical variation on this is that the scammer recruits an american to receive goods at their home (shipped by UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) and the recruit forwards the goods (paid for with a stolen credit card or check) to the scammer in a foreign country. In this scenario, the recruit often gets to keep a portion of the goods or some of the cash back funds that typically accompany the goods (because the merchant was "overpaid").
Old 2007-07-15, 12:45pm
I'm a lilac!

TOTAL scam! They got the item #s off your website, probably using a text-only browser... bet they don't even know what they are. I used to get that all the time with Bridgetown Glass! Jerks.

Old 2007-07-15, 1:11pm
crabby...who me?

Run away,run away!These jerks just never stop trying.
Jeff
Old 2007-07-15, 8:01pm
Evil Glass Enabler

We get emails like that at the company business all the time. I hit delete A LOT! Thanks, Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-07-15, 8:05pm
Covered in glitter

And maybe while you're doing this you can stick a broom up your ass and do the floors too. Yeah, a definate scam...

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-07-15, 8:55pm

Turn it into your state attorney general's office. Internet fraud is a federal crime as is international fraud.
Old 2007-07-16, 4:41pm
Catchen' the Sun

I have actually had them try this with items I had listed on ebay. I did turn them into ebay. It is a scam pure and simple. one other type they pull is I will send you a money order that includes shipping. when you cash the money order and then send the item to "friend" who will forward it and oh send him the extra $ for shipping from him to me it turns out to be a counterfit money order. I just delete them.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2007-07-18, 1:11pm

Well I got the last email this morning. Yes, like alot of you said, I could have deleted but then they would have moved on to someone not as smart as me hehe!
They gave me two credit card numbers, complete with expiration dates and the 3 digit code on the back.
So I called Visa. They gave me the issuing bank. Then I called the banks that issued the cards and spoke to the fraud department.
The first credit card had been closed due to fraudulent activity a few months ago. ...okay one down.
The second card was a good card, still open and active and is now totally shut down.
I've been a victim of identity theft and I know the damage it could do.
Now I feel really, really good that I maybe helped one other person from having his credit score totally destroyed and oodles of money taken from him (yes he would recover it but it's a pain!)
Now I got to figure out how I'm going to email these people back.
I was thinking on the lines of telling them that I think someone stole their cards and I did them a favor by calling the FBI to report it to them. lol
I also gave them the address of who was supposed to receive the package. Somewhere in Portsmouth, Hampshire. England?????
So that's the status and were done!
Irene

Old 2007-07-18, 3:00pm

Wow, you are kicking that scammer's ass! Maybe you could tell them those cards won't run, do they have another? lol.

I am sooo sick of the email scams I get every day.
Old 2007-07-18, 3:49pm

I get at least one email a week from someone wanting to buy 12 * 12 pieces of float glass..... Yes I delete them, over the years I've deleted a few legite customers too.... they always waant it cut to be shipped to Africa or something... Don't they have window glass in Africa....

I'm not so sure I would pick up so quickly if they were ordering things that I actually sold though!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2007-07-18, 4:20pm
Burning through glass

Irene,
You are totally awesome for doing that!!! Yes indeed, you kicked the scammer's ass.

Renee
JetAge Studio

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2007-07-18, 7:17pm

LOL I did what you said to do. I told them both of the cards did not work and could he please send me another form of payment. What does the idiot do?
He sent me two more!
Agh! I'll call the banks tomorrow and then tell him where to go as well!
Irene

Old 2007-07-18, 7:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Irene - that is SO aswesome what you are doing. You are saving some innocent soul hours and hours of heartache!! My fiance's card was stolen and they pulled thousands out of his account. Fortunately, he got it back, but it is still scary at first and SO maddening to have to go through all the hoops.

Good for you!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-18, 9:41pm

WOW, Irene, that is sooo cool! When I started reading the thread I thought the same as someone else - just run away from this - these people are so clever that they're scarey....But then you really nailed them! That is fantastic! I'd love to hear how you get on with these new visa cards.
What an awesome story!
Old 2007-07-18, 9:58pm

Quote:
LOL I did what you said to do. I told them both of the cards did not work and could he please send me another form of payment. What does the idiot do?
He sent me two more!
Agh! I'll call the banks tomorrow and then tell him where to go as well!
Irene
So, are all of these cards in different names -- how could your "buyer" explain that?
Old 2007-07-24, 12:18pm
just plain silly

Dateline had a 2 hour special this last Sunday on how these creeps get these credit card numbers and then list them on some secret websites so all the scammers can get the numbers and start charging large quantities of stuff on your credit cards. It was quite frightening! Even more ridiculous are the unsuspecting, naive, trusting people that get duped by these cons. They appeal to the greedy side of people but now they are getting lonely people to do their dirty work by promising them love, marriage and happiness. These creeps have really brought out the cynical side of me.... and that's so sad.

Suzanne