Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-14, 4:39pm

Default Didy Shield

Was thinking about a didy shield for Christmas and was wondering what everyone thought of theirs!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-14, 4:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I adore mine - it is second only to my torch as my favorite tool.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-14, 5:08pm

cooll thank you squidly!!!!!!!!

Old 2008-12-14, 5:33pm

If you get Santa to deliver these, I have been a very good girl this year.

I'd love one someday. I keep putting off buying new glasses hoping some day to have the money for a shield instead.
Old 2008-12-14, 6:49pm
Formerly FishBulb

I saw one in a thread about people's studio spaces, and I thought that was a brilliant idea! The glasses seem so heavy on my head. I'll Google "Didy Shields" and see if I can find them.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2008-12-14, 8:26pm

The glasses give me a headache because I have to wear them over my regular glasses. I bought a shield a couple of years ago and it is the BEST money I have spent!! I absolutely love it. My dh hung it from the ceiling so it does not take up room on my table
Sue

Old 2008-12-14, 9:10pm

that is exactly it!! The glasses are so heavy!!!!!

Old 2008-12-14, 9:28pm

I love my shield. In addition to the weight of glasses, the added expense of changing the prescription didy's as time goes along makes a shield more economical. I got mine from Austin Blue Moon. I recommend his shield, because he has several options for mounting. I chose the quick disconnect coupling that allowed me to mount the shield to the side of my hood. You'll see in the picture that I also use a Velcro strap to hold it in the center of my vision.

I will say, however, that it seems a little clumsy to get used to. I have to work around it a bit, but once I learned a new set of moves it was not a problem. I'll never go back to glasses.
Attached Images

Old 2008-12-15, 11:10am
Certified Glassaholic!

Definitly LOVE it!!!

Old 2008-12-15, 11:14am

ok coooooll I ordered one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2008-12-15, 7:40pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I build mine it is 6x6 didi piece from whale and I love it. My hubby got me the glass last christmas because the flame was chapping my face. Here is a photo of it. I am not a solder queen so it isn't beautiful but functions great. It does take some time to learn how to work around it.

Old 2008-12-16, 3:41pm

Josie you will love your shield. My eyes are so bad that I can't afford prescription didy's (trifocals no less). Mine sits on my bench, and I just use the base to put stuff on that I don't want to get lost in the rest of the mess LOL.

Old 2008-12-16, 7:09pm

If you're interested in making one, you can get the ACE 202 glass directly from Phillips here http://www.phillips-safety.com/Glass...sors/Index.htm It's at the bottom of the page.
Old 2008-12-16, 7:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Phillips also has complete shield I believe....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal