Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-11, 10:22am
Crazy, but happy

Thank you both for your reactions. I made two beads with copper leaf and they did turn out OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Karin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep till noon.
Old 2006-05-12, 11:28am
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
Also, I don't mean to be arguementative, but simply rolling a bead onto foil is not burnishing as I understand burnishing to be. Burnishing requires some force to it. I'm not questioning the effect, but I am saying that the technique used to achieve it in this example is not "burnishing."

Have you ever done copper foil stained glass? When you apply the copper foil to the edges and go over it with your fid and rub hard to get it to adhere firmly and flushly, without creases or gaps, that is burnishing. The hard rubbing is the burnishing.
You're right -- technically, it's not "burnishing" in the traditional sense (I do metalwork, so I know exactly what you mean) -- but I guarantee that it provides the same result as what beadmakers refer to as "burnishing", and is far less time consuming.

Since the definition of burnishing is polishing by friction, or making shiny by rubbing -- I'd have to say that in lampworking we are not in fact "burnishing" the metal leaf on the glass, but merely forcing full contact of the leaf with the glass. So it's kind of a moot point, anyway.
Old 2006-05-12, 4:53pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupltorgirl
You're right -- technically, it's not "burnishing" in the traditional sense (I do metalwork, so I know exactly what you mean) -- but I guarantee that it provides the same result as what beadmakers refer to as "burnishing", and is far less time consuming.

Since the definition of burnishing is polishing by friction, or making shiny by rubbing -- I'd have to say that in lampworking we are not in fact "burnishing" the metal leaf on the glass, but merely forcing full contact of the leaf with the glass. So it's kind of a moot point, anyway.
You're right, what lampworkers call burnishing isn't polishing.

I am intrigued by your method, though. Like I said earlier, I wasn't questioning the effect. It sounds like a good method to try out.
Old 2006-05-12, 7:04pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

This method was posted by Mark Wilson (on another forum), and it works great!

It's worth trying, really.
Old 2006-05-12, 7:35pm
PyronamixK

Mark Wilson is a smart guy. He once built me a digital controller for my kiln and posted the process as a tutorial on another forum. I wish that he would stop in over here.
Old 2006-05-12, 7:47pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Yeah, Mark Wilson shares a lot of good information. I've definitely learned from his input!
Old 2007-03-06, 7:45pm

bump
Old 2007-03-06, 8:22pm
Smooches!

Thanks for bumping up this thread. Lots of good info here & I sure hadn't seen it until you bumped it. Thanks!

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2009-05-16, 5:44pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

bump
Old 2009-05-17, 9:02am

I love all the color reactions so it's wonderful to see this old thread! I took part in Corinas booklet on reactions and have since run a number of exchanges based on the idea of Reactions. The last two exchanges were made into tutorial style cd's.

There are always new colors and glasses coming on to the market and therefrore new things to explore!