No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-14, 9:32pm
Flamewoman

Default Using the Square for credit card charges

Well I think we are going to get smart phones, gulp, I have only had the old flip phone and I am a little skeered of trying to learn a smart phone in less than 2 weeks. We want to get the square so we can do charges on them at shows, does anyone have any input about using the square? Where does the money go? how do you get it? is it easy? any advice appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-11-14, 10:03pm
Will work for Glass

Square is so easy it is silly. Install the app on your phone, swipe the card . The money goes to them. They send you the money - their fee quickly. it is all explained on the square site and that is where you register and order a card reader. Easy Peasy. Have used it for a couple of years now without issue. Paypal has the same type of thing now as well.

Susan

Northern Mermaid Beads

Old 2014-11-14, 11:15pm

Your Square acct is connected to your bank acct. any transactions you make go directly into your bank acconut. Square is very easy to set up and operate. I've been using mine for about 4 years give or take. I've never had A glitch. I also have paypal here. It's the same. Money goes directly into your paypal acct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Well I think we are going to get smart phones, gulp, I have only had the old flip phone and I am a little skeered of trying to learn a smart phone in less than 2 weeks. We want to get the square so we can do charges on them at shows, does anyone have any input about using the square? Where does the money go? how do you get it? is it easy? any advice appreciated.
Old 2014-11-15, 6:37pm

Ditto to what the others have said. It's very easy, and we saw our sales increase dramatically at our shows. Many people don't carry cash anymore. And they tend to buy more when they realize they can charge it. The money is desposited into my checking account within a day. Well worth the credit card fee.
And now etsy is offering a similar card reader. Not sure about it yet, but sounds like it works just like Square. And sales made are counted into your 'shop' sales. Only fee it takes is for running the card like Square does. Has anyone used the etsy reader yet?

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2014-11-15, 6:40pm
Corgi Cult Member

If you order one from their website it is free. If you buy one for $10 they credit your account that amount. Sometimes I have trouble swiping the cards, but in an emergency the numbers can be input manually, it just incurs a slightly higher fee. Great gadget!

Old 2014-11-16, 7:54am
Wyoming Silvers

We got a tablet to run the square. Verizon had em cheap last spring. Works great for older folks that can't see well.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2014-11-16, 9:13am

We use an ipod now for our square. (Just in case you have one of those.) Your venue must have wifi to do this though.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2014-11-16, 1:25pm
Must..have..more...glass

You can sign into the Square website on your computer and enter your inventory so you don't have to do that on your phone, but it's all there in the Square app on the phone when you need to use it.

Facebook:
Old 2014-11-21, 5:25pm
I ate a big red candle!

Another vote for square. I find it pretty easy to use. Sometimes if someone is tax exempt or if I need to refund, I have to poke around in the options to figure it out, but it's pretty simple.

Another nice thing is that so many other vendors use it, you can often ask your neighbor if you're having trouble

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2014-11-24, 7:36pm

I just started using it about a month ago. As said it's so easy it almost scary. I use it at the salon mostly and at the last bead show I was in (the main reason I got it) We accept CC at work but it takes days to enter your bank account and has a lot of hidden fees.
The square takes their cut out immediately and gives you the rest, though the rates are a little higher than the CC machine at work.
Go to square website. Takes about 5 minutes to sign up. I got my square insert at Best Buy. It fits into your ear phone slot. (You must remove the square to answer the phone!)
Money goes into your checking account the very next day!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2014-11-24, 8:52pm
Flamewoman

Ok, I got one, and I got my first smart phone as well. My Son came over and helped me learn how to use it, I may like it, the smart phone that is. I got the square and tested it a few times seems simple, should be much easier than Propay. I'm so new to this all I hope I don't get flustered at the show, I am doing my biggest show of the year the three days following thanksgiving and I am usually very busy, I do really good at this show. I am having a little trouble with myself at the moment, my Mom passed away a week ago today, and sometimes I just go blank and tear up, and I can not do this at this show. Wish me luck. I hope I don't have trouble with all this new stuff, I am old.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-11-24, 11:23pm

Here's to all the luck you need. I am in the same situation.

Karen

ripzz
Old 2014-11-25, 11:17am
Flame Dames Rule!

It's wonderful, it's fast, the money pops into the bank (minus their fees, which are reasonable) and best of all, if you swipe a bad card it tells you right away.

Do it!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...