Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2016-04-16, 8:49am
Corgi Cult Member

Default LED Lights

Has anyone switched to LED lights? They keep getting more reasonably priced. If you have, what are your experiences and what watt and color do you use?

I broke one of my bulbs yesterday and thought it might be a good time to switch since I need to replace it anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-04-16, 3:00pm
Salt Box Beads

We have switched almost the whole house over. We luv them. We use whatever is the recommended wattage so it differs. We also are using Led flashlights.

I especially like the lights over my sewing table. I would use them in the studio but it has an awesome skylight and barn doors so I get enough natural light there.

Start switching you won't regret it!
Old 2016-04-16, 4:55pm
Phill

Aye we are switching over one at a time.

I found some 6 packs at SAM's and I love the fact that they are too bright blue or too yellow and also that they are not creating all kinds of heat.
Old 2016-04-16, 5:17pm

LED bulbs are great. A lot of light for very little power.

I also own 2 LED grow lights that were $1,600.00 each but I got them free.I did a product review and video grow journal and they grow flowers half as big as real HID lighting. Id never buy the wimpy LED grow lights, they are not very good.
Old 2016-04-18, 8:49am
Corgi Cult Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Are any of you using them for bead photography? I need to replace bulbs in my reflectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-04-18, 9:25pm
Phill

I think that is going to have to be a personal choice according to what your eyes tell you.

But I don't photograph my work other than the classic homemade pics when someone wants to see what I am doing these days.

I think I remember some of my you tube videographers are now switching to LEDs but I am pretty sure they are doing post production work that would include balancing color values and such before the post their work.

I think that is something you might be wanting to avoid for each and every picture you take.

So I guess I think it should be just fine. Mostly a what you see is what you get thing and the LEDs I have seen lately are pretty good at delivering a very good white light.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-04-18 at 9:28pm.
Old 2016-04-19, 10:38pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Are any of you using them for bead photography? I need to replace bulbs in my reflectors.

No need to apologize, I should have noticed that your post was from the dark room. I only look at the "New Posts" and don't usually pay attention to where they are from. My apologies...

I use my Ott lights for photos and have used the Led, about the same results. I still prefer outdoors in natural light the best!
Old 2016-04-20, 8:22am
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks Lorraine. I always seem to fight shadows when I take photos outside. I know others like to shoot outdoors too, so I'm sure it is user error on my part. Glad to hear the LED and Ott give about the same results. I use Ott lights on my bench, but haven't tried them for photos.

Old 2016-04-30, 5:02am

Depends on the LED really some have quite okay colour - whilst others I found distort colour (but it's easily fixed in photo editing - for the most part anyway depending how fussy/precise you want to be)

Overall usually much better then many simple lights.
Old 2016-05-01, 11:59am
Experimentalist

I switched every bulb in the house for LED. My photo station was the first to transition.

Old 2016-05-11, 7:17am

Hi!

Changed the whole house over last year to LED and immediately the power bill dropped by 30.00 per month. I started out with the cool white which is warm, then bought a few of the day white and they are too white and bugged my eyes so now in things that take multiple bulbs like the dining room "chandelier" I mixed so that half are day white and half are cool white which is more yellow and its more of a happy medium.

They are even making them now for things like sconces and the stove fan light.
Old 2016-05-16, 8:52am
ManBearPig

I have been using LEDs for my photos for a while now. I see pretty much zero difference between them and the regular bulbs I was using before.

Old 2016-05-18, 9:01pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks! That's great to know!