AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2011-07-06, 2:51pm
Loving learning

I haven't tried imploding anything at all yet, and would love to see the results of your playing Dawn, sounds very intriguing!
Old 2011-07-07, 8:03am
Your Royal Fritness

Eileen I've just started imploding frit a few weeks ago and then I thought about doing it with brass frit. My first attempt I used too much brass frit. It looks cool but not the definition that I want (really can't see the implode). Here is what I'm going for. This frit is from Glass Diversions. Imploding frit is fun and easy I'll post pictures if it works, I hope to torch today or tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-07, 6:49pm
Happy Inner Dragon

First beads, done on my HH. They survived the crockie, and will go into the kiln on the weekend. Fingers crossed It was so much fun seeing the bubbles form.

Thank you, Dawn

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2011-07-07 at 7:18pm.
Old 2011-07-07, 7:24pm
Your Royal Fritness

Wow those are SWEET! I love the colors you chose. Every time I see the bubbles form I think of Finding Nemo

Old 2011-07-07, 7:26pm
Loving learning

I'm hoping to get to my glass in the morning, will have to pull the books out & read up on imploding to see if I'm brave enough to try it.

Essie, that red one is my fav I think, but they all look good.
Old 2011-09-26, 1:44pm

Thanks Dawn!
Old 2011-10-12, 5:46am
Lava Maker

I love the reactions you got, particularly the copper chain. I'll have to try this.
Old 2012-03-05, 7:20am

Bumping this up because it's a GREAT tutorial!
Old 2013-02-20, 10:33am
Your Royal Fritness

I'm bumping this up because all the info on brass frit is going around. Please purchase it from Cynthia (in the GS) because Mike is not making presses now. I think I'll start playing with it again too

Old 2013-02-20, 4:07pm
Practicing perfect

Dawn,
Thank you for bumping this up. I bought some of the brass frit from Cynthia, should be in my box soon.

Old 2013-03-21, 3:46pm
New Lampworker

Question Glass Storage

Hi Dawn,
I am new to Lampworking and I checked out your website and saw your studio pictures. I'm wondering what the square containers are that you used for your glass storage. I kind of jumped the gun and bought a bunch of glass and don't have my studio set up yet.
The reason I was on your website is that I was checking out the Brass Frit Tutorial and one thing led to another.
Thanks.
Shirley
Old 2013-03-21, 4:01pm
Your Royal Fritness

Hi Shirley,
Welcome to the wonderful world of lampworking! Those are fence rails cut down. I bought mine at Lowe's but they had to order them. Most fence places have them too. I can lose hours following one link to another! Have a great night

Old 2013-09-06, 10:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
I'm bumping this up because all the info on brass frit is going around. Please purchase it from Cynthia (in the GS) because Mike is not making presses now. I think I'll start playing with it again too
Hi Dawn!
I know this is an old thread, but i'm fairly new and learning loads from this site! Before lampworking I've made jewelry for years. When I drill old coins (wheat pennies, Indian Head nickels and various foreign coins), I've always saved the tiny curled shavings, thinking I would do something cool with it one day! (I can be a pack rat!) After seeing your wonderful beads, that day has finally come! Now, I'm thinking of trying it in my glass beads. However, I'm sure it is not all brass I've saved. Definitely copper in the pennies, but the foreign coins could be anything.

Do you think the same effect would happen with different metals? Are there any concerns on trying something besides brass?

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-09-06, 2:29pm
Loving learning

In case Dawn doesn't see this, the result won't be the same with other metals, and some metals give off noxious fumes when melted, so I'd not try it.

I see you aren't listed in RAOGK yet but if you will PM me your address I will send you a little to give it a try.
Old 2013-09-06, 3:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
In case Dawn doesn't see this, the result won't be the same with other metals, and some metals give off noxious fumes when melted, so I'd not try it.

I see you aren't listed in RAOGK yet but if you will PM me your address I will send you a little to give it a try.
oh dear, that was what I was afraid of. darn!

What is RAOGK?
That's such a kind offer… but i would be more than happy to pay you for it

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-09-06, 3:25pm
Loving learning

Random Acts of Glass Kindness.

I can't remember exactly where you fill it out, but maybe if you click on User CP above the posts, you can nose around & find it?
To see some, just look up top for it, click, and you will see what others have filled out. Not mandatory to do, but you never know when it will come in handy for someone
Old 2013-09-06, 4:49pm
Your Royal Fritness

Eileen is correct . Plus you do not need much brass frit. A little bit last a very long time!

Old 2013-12-09, 2:03am
Phill

I will toss in my two cents that a lot of places where you might get metal shavings from are going to be dirty, oily workshops and the metal is likely going to need a soap bath to get the cutting oils off. I would follow that with a water rinse and even an alcohol rinse to get it really dry.

As to the cracking, one needs to think about the volume of bubbles to the volume of glass, especially if you can not get the bed into a kiln from the torch. Foamy glass is not going to cool with any kind of even consistency so you have to really limit how much of the bead is bubbles and control how much glass is between the bubbles and the out side of the bead.

A classic case of "less is more"

Last edited by Speedslug; 2013-12-09 at 2:42am.
Old 2013-12-09, 6:45am
Loving learning

Phil, I got mine from a foundry, and I do have to go through it to watch for pieces of plastic or other debris, but I've not washed it and that hasn't caused a problem so far. I don't think there is much oil on it, though one batch looks darker & dirtier than the other, but they both seem to work fine.
Old 2014-02-25, 11:25pm

As for trying other metals, as long as you are not popping the bubbles, it should be safe. Just be careful when encasing. Not that the occasional green spark doesn't elicit done joy from me... I've tried this with bronze, and it makes bubbles, but they lack the nice gold hue. No traces of the metal stuck around in my experiments.
Old 2014-04-19, 8:51am
Lifelong Student

I would like to try this out but want to hold off buying some until I know I like it. Anyone have a little sample they are willing to spare?
Old 2014-04-19, 3:42pm
Loving learning

PM me your address Mina.
Old 2014-05-13, 8:47pm
Fugitive from the Dogstar

My hubby is into shooting and reloads his own ammo. A lot of the brass he has to trim, don't know why but its part of the process somehow. He has a lot of shavings and I have been tempted to use them but... On reloads, they have been shot once before which means they have been exposed to lead. He does clean the brass before reloading but I wonder if there would still be residue floating about. Even if I work in a well ventilated area I wonder if that would be a problem. Any thoughts on that?
Old 2014-05-13, 8:55pm
Loving learning

My hubby gave me some shavings and I never even worried about lead, but they were pretty big compared to the other stuff I use. If it works, let us know, OK?
Old 2014-05-14, 8:25am

I'll see if I can upload a pic so you can see the size of the shavings. Probably won't be for a day or two though. They do look a little bigger than what has been posted here on the site.
Old 2014-05-14, 8:30am
Loving learning

I'm guessing they'd be about the same as the ones DH gave me (same source) but maybe from different caliber they'd be larger or smaller.
Old 2014-05-14, 8:43am

Yah, hubs works with some high caliber stuff too, that would probably be a problem I'm thinking.
Old 2014-05-17, 3:53pm

Okay, brass shavings from hubby's reloading worked! The larger shavings looked a lot better than the smaller shavings. I'm going to do some more tests with it in the next few days. What's wonderful is that hubby belongs to a reloading club and he said he'll put the word out to send all shavings to him. Eek!
Old 2014-05-17, 3:56pm
Loving learning

OK, now I'm going to have to try again with what I got from my DH's trimmings.
Old 2014-05-17, 4:03pm

I didn't use a lot - and with the second bead I made picked up just the larger shavings. I'm sure there's a way to sift through the shavings first to filter out the small bits. Maybe a small colander would do?