Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-06-05, 10:06pm

Default Any one know about Mercadante boro ?

There is a seller on ebay selling a brand of glass called 'Mercadante'. They say "Mercadante brand rod is a low expansion borosilicate composition with high chemical resistance"
What do they mean by high chemical resistance???
I can't seemed to find out much about it. Hoping someone here could clue us in.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-06, 1:30am

got a link? searching brought up nothing for glass. just music.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-06, 2:49am

Try this http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Clear-Borosi...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 2008-06-06, 2:49am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

can't find it on google either, but I am very curious to see what glass this is

Old 2008-06-06, 8:27am

here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Clear-Borosilica...742.m153.l1262

Old 2008-06-06, 8:34am
yukue fumei

Italian boro...this is the first I have heard of this brand...wonder if they also make colors?

nagi

Old 2008-06-06, 8:36am
yukue fumei

high chemical resistance--this could be a description of boro glass--at least that is what I am assuming.
Boro glass is used for making lab glass items so it needs to be chemically resistant

nagi

Old 2008-06-06, 8:38am

They have an auction for color too. Twelve pounds for $108 BIN. Hmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bundle-of-Borosi...742.m153.l1262

Old 2008-06-06, 8:46am
I'm a lilac!

I would love to speak to anyone who has used these, to find out if the colors are as boily as American boro crayon colors. The blues look amazing! I'd find out for myself if they had a smaller sample pack.

Old 2008-06-06, 9:13am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
They have an auction for color too. Twelve pounds for $108 BIN. Hmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bundle-of-Borosi...742.m153.l1262

nagi

Old 2008-06-06, 9:32am

i sent the seller an email re: compatibility and working properties. if anyone gets any please post.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-06-06, 9:36am

i also just sent an email to the buyer of the 108$ bundle to let me know what its like. ill post if i hear anything
ro

Old 2008-06-06, 11:58am

buy American! We gotta keep our suppliers in business.....

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-06-06, 3:04pm
yukue fumei

I couldn't resist and got some....
that is me Ro

afterwards I noticed that they also have smaller bundles and you can submit offers...
oh well....
On second glance, the colors look transparent....
There is no way I would give up my favorite manufacturers' (American!) products.....but I am always a curious cat

nagi

Old 2008-06-06, 4:16pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh my god, if those colors are transparent I WANT!!!!

Old 2008-06-06, 6:23pm
crabby...who me?

That looks just like the asian boro colors.Most likely is.
Old 2008-06-06, 6:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh.

Old 2008-06-06, 6:57pm

looking closely at the bundles it looks like the Chinese color to me to. The "Orange" looks like the red, The "Blue" looks like the cobalt the "Bright blue" looks like the light cobalt. I don't see the Chinese amber or the pink, but every other color looks like a color from the Chinese color line- just called something different. Oh well.

Rob.

Old 2008-06-06, 7:24pm
yukue fumei

bleh.
if it is Chinese boro, it is false advertising since it says Italian in the description. No way to verify... but there is no Mercadante glass company in Google.....
I do have some Chinese boro to compare it to...

nagi

Old 2008-06-06, 9:10pm

The color glass doesn't say Italian.....the clear says Italian clear. Wondering... I have never used the chinese boro only soft. We are hoping for you Nagi that it is better quality. The soft that we bought was from an old barrel in the back of arrow springs and they called it PIG Glass, bought it because it was cheap and we were just starting out and wanted something to play with. Really shocky and boiled almost imediately, what a relief when we tried the morretti, we instanly got much more skilled...

Old 2008-06-07, 6:31am
yukue fumei

LOL!
Leave it to me to choose the one auction that says Mercadante Imported and not Mercadante Italian! Oh well...
The other color bundle says Italian:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Color-Bundle-of-...742.m153.l1262

Anyhoo, no worries....I'll have fun with it regardless!

nagi

Old 2008-06-07, 6:38am

i asked the seller some questions and they are sending me some samples. ill post how they are when i get them.
ro

Old 2008-06-07, 6:39am
crabby...who me?

I was given some PIG glass when I first started out,its from India and it is exceptionally poor glass.At least the Chinese is a better quality.
Jeff
Old 2008-06-07, 6:42am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_a_leak_in_art View Post
The color glass doesn't say Italian.....the clear says Italian clear. Wondering... I have never used the chinese boro only soft. We are hoping for you Nagi that it is better quality. The soft that we bought was from an old barrel in the back of arrow springs and they called it PIG Glass, bought it because it was cheap and we were just starting out and wanted something to play with. Really shocky and boiled almost imediately, what a relief when we tried the morretti, we instanly got much more skilled...
I heard stories of the PIG glass--yikes--sorry for your experience!

And thanks for the well wishes! Chinese boro is not too bad. I have a bit but I don't use it much, as I want to stick to the main manufacturers I have had great luck with Momkas, Precision/Northstar, Trautman and Glass Alchemy--you can't go wrong with them! For opaques, Originglass is great and so is Parramore/NewColor....
I personally have had good luck with Colormax(don't deep encase the greens) but have heard of cracking issues from other artists....
Anyhoo, good luck with the boro adventures!! I'll report back to you when the glass arrives

nagi

Old 2008-06-07, 8:48am

looking forward to hearing about the glass. We fully agree to get the american glass however, always looking for ways to get glass to play and experiment with that doesn't drain the bank. (hence the PIG Experience...still have some if anybody interested haha)

Did anybody ask seller where the glass is made ? Its says Italian but it doesn't say made in Italy.

Old 2008-06-07, 12:28pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Nagi,

A couple years ago you gifted me with a buuuunnnnnccccchhhh of boro and there was some ivory in it....I am uterly and completely in love with it and cannot find it again....do you remember where it came from?

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-06-07, 12:37pm

i just heard from the seller, Zack. the color is chinese glass. available at http://www.lampworking-tools.com
ro

Old 2008-06-07, 12:38pm

Hi Everyone,
I went ahead and purchased a pound of every color that this person on ebay has.

In the last 2 or 3 days I have run it through a gambit of tests and I cannot find any incompatability with northstar or GA. The glass seems to be run of the mill (WYSIWYG) Asian transparent color (I could be wrong about that).

Anyways, It melts nice and they all keep there colors regardless of how you work it. I have not put the black to the torch yet but if its the same as the trans colors it should be fine.

And you cant beat this price with a stick.

Old 2008-06-07, 12:53pm

Hi Rob, your link doesn't work. Did you buy from the same seller ??

Old 2008-06-07, 1:01pm

Try this!