LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-23, 3:05pm

Abe ~ Thank you so much for addressing this problem head-on and dealing with us in such an honest fashion. This is the kind of service that will bring customers, including myself, back to do business with you again and again.
I will locate my invoice and let you know via PM how much of the glass I bought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-23, 6:42pm
Enabler

Abe....you are one class act!! My Diamond Clear is from a couple of older batches, and has never given me a moment's problem, but like everyone else, I've been following this thread just because I love DC so much. And I've gotta tell ya....a lot of us love its maker, too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-24, 10:07pm

Hello Abe;

Thank you so very much for the time, effort and expense to look into this for everyone. I bought the DC that i was having problems with from Artistry in Glass in Ontario Canada. For me it was the first time that i used your DC and let me tell you, i was stunned by the clarity. I have put the DC aside, but let me state that i will be ordering more of your DC in the future. It is greatly appreciated that you care!

Thanks!

- 20% off for LE members!

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-05-24, 10:10pm

I'll be buying more DC when my current batch runs low (older run) ... please let us know when the new batch comes out!

Old 2009-05-25, 9:44am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
I'll be buying more DC when my current batch runs low (older run) ... please let us know when the new batch comes out!
I just got my 5 pounds of DC from Ron last week and it's a different batch. It's great and problem free like it's always been for me.

Old 2009-05-25, 11:16am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That is good to know, Amy!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-05-25, 11:35am
da General

Thanks for letting us know, Amy!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-25, 12:57pm

I'm only up to page 2 of this thread (post 100), but I wanted to mention that I think I'm having the same problem, only I'm not using any silver glass - just regular Effetre colors such as Lt. Turquoise, Black, Pea Green, Mango Coral, etc.

I wasn't having any problems with cracking until just last week, when I think I must have run out of an older batch of DC and started using DC that I ordered on 05/05/2009 from Frantz. I'm saving my spacers for the end of my torch session, and I've extended my soak time (my beads are pretty small, though), and I'm still getting about a 50% breakage rate.

My cracks are similar to yours - they appear to be thermal cracks, but they are kind of wedge-shaped, rather than just a flat crack. All this past week I've been thinking it was a problem with my kiln, and I've been scoping out digital controllers. I think I'm just going to try different clears and see if that helps.

Old 2009-05-25, 1:21pm

I wanted to add that, in addition to the cracks along the mandrel line, one of my beads from last night - Effetre black encased with DC, with Effetre surface dots (not melted in) - cracked around the middle of the bead!

Old 2009-05-26, 6:07am

I'm having the same problem as many others are. I also got my DC when Ron had his sale for DC a few weeks back. Glad I didnt get but a lb. of it.
Thank you Jed for all your hard work in trying to find the problem.

Amelia
Old 2009-05-26, 6:27am

OK - I'd like to order more DC, but I'm afraid of getting more of the batch that cracks (btw - I used some old Lauscha as well as Effetre clear last night, and none of my beads cracked, so I think that rules out my kiln as being the problem, but I'm going to keep testing clears this week). My batch that cracked came from Frantz. Anyone know who's selling a good batch?

Last edited by nicholebeth; 2009-05-26 at 6:35am.
Old 2009-05-26, 10:02am
Ad astra per aspera

I've been using DC "seconds" from PaulaD and had no problems at all. Go figure! It's wonderful glass, IMO. I have a regular batch that's about 6 months old, as well, that I reserve for making marbles. No problems with that batch, either.

I do anneal on a hot, slow cycle. I garage at 1000, drop to 960 over 2 hours, then drop to 600 over 6 hours, then shut off. (I have an AS brick kiln, and it holds the heat for hours longer.

Old 2009-05-26, 11:22am

Just ordered some Reform. Lauscha as well as Vetro clear from Paula. I have two different bunches of DC from separate orders (both from Frantz), so I'll be testing this week, using a different clear each day and seeing if I get more cracks.

I can't believe I almost bought a new controller over $38 worth of glass... but I'm glad to have finally noticed this thread before I made the big purchase. I really need to spend more time in this section of LE!

Old 2009-05-26, 11:25am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I just got my 5 pounds of DC from Ron last week and it's a different batch. It's great and problem free like it's always been for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebeth View Post
OK - I'd like to order more DC, but I'm afraid of getting more of the batch that cracks (btw - I used some old Lauscha as well as Effetre clear last night, and none of my beads cracked, so I think that rules out my kiln as being the problem, but I'm going to keep testing clears this week). My batch that cracked came from Frantz. Anyone know who's selling a good batch?
Per Amy's post above, Ron's current batch is good!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-05-27, 7:54am

this is for Abe,
I sent a PM to you before the holiday weekend with details of my purchase of DC from Ron. No reply, so I am wondering if you received it.

I only bought a pound.. my first time to try DC and the price was very reasonable, or would have been if all my beads made with it hadn't cracked. I would like to give it another try since so many here rave about it, but am hesitant to order any in case my issue isn't the glass itself but the ramp schedule I use. From all I read here, I believe what I use is hot enough (garage at 970 and only make tiny beads in the last hour), slow enough (ramp down at 100 an hour to 850 and hold for an hour), and long enough for relatively small beads (ramp down 100 at hour to 200 and then off .... brick kiln, full metal jacket, no bead door). Never had a problem with any other clear for encasing.

Old 2009-05-27, 8:12am
Tacki

Hi Carol, I'm not sure Abe spends much time on these forums. I suggest you give him a call instead. I posted the phone number is a few pages back, I can find it for you if you can't locate it.
Old 2009-05-27, 9:16am

Hi Traci,
yes, please re-post Abe's #. He made a generous offer to replace glass IF we sent details of our purchase from Ron. However, Abe did not include contact info for doing this, so I sent a PM.

It seems there wasn't all that much (in pounds) to account for so many of us having problems. Not at all sure what I have from Ron fits the time frame of the suspect batch. Just trying to pin it down before I give DC another try.

Since I am a long time "Lauscha Lover", perhaps I should just keep it simple and stick with that.

Old 2009-05-27, 9:17am
drinks pickle juice

Did anyone have any problems with the DC shorts from R4? I actually got the shorts (although they are really great and not really "short") but I haven't used them yet.

Just curious!
Old 2009-05-27, 9:25am
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Hi Traci,
yes, please re-post Abe's #. He made a generous offer to replace glass IF we sent details of our purchase from Ron. However, Abe did not include contact info for doing this, so I sent a PM.

It seems there wasn't all that much (in pounds) to account for so many of us having problems. Not at all sure what I have from Ron fits the time frame of the suspect batch. Just trying to pin it down before I give DC another try.

Since I am a long time "Lauscha Lover", perhaps I should just keep it simple and stick with that.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=205
Old 2009-05-27, 10:57am

Quote:

I kind of feel as if I'm being ignored. My batch came from Frantz, not Ron (I'm afraid to say I've never ordered from Ron), and I saw at least one other poster say they got their DC clear from Frantz as well. Since I switched to my old stashes of Lauscha and Effetre Super Clear, I've not had any cracks. Last week I was losing about half of my batches, I think because I was using the remainder of my old-old DC and the first rod of my "bad" (for lack of a better word) Diamond Clear during the same couple of torch sessions.

We can't presume that the cracking problem is isolated to Ron's stock or that all people with DC problems have posted. I only saw this thread 2 or three days ago. There may be even more people with DC problems, when you consider that 1. not all LE'ers make it to the Tips section very often (like me), and 2. not all lampworkers frequent LE or other forums.

As for me, I just assumed that my controller was shot, so had I not seen this thread (only because Tracy mentioned it in another thread), I would have spent $350 on a new one for no reason. Forunately, I got to spend that money on new glass, instead! Including new Lauscha and Effetre clear

I won't be ordering Diamond Clear from Frantz anymore b/c they haven't been addressed as a source of problem DC (I'll still order most of my other glass from them, of course). I'm just a little skittish about buying more of this batch.

That said, I'm very pleased to hear that Abe has thoroughly investigated and dealt with the problems with Ron's batch. I've not dealt with him before, but from a customer's perspective, that kind of service is impressive.

Old 2009-05-27, 11:43am

It is nice to see that people are aware of how much goes on behind the scenes. Abe and I have talked a lot on the phone about the glass, problems and tests that would help pin down where the problem (s) are. I hope everyone feels that they always have the option to switch out glass that does not work for them. Both Rocio and Abe offer this. In the end people have to have a product that works for them.
Thanks to everyone who has worked on this challenge. Pam, thanks to you as well!
Ron Jr.
Old 2009-05-27, 12:55pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebeth View Post
I kind of feel as if I'm being ignored. My batch came from Frantz, not Ron (I'm afraid to say I've never ordered from Ron), and I saw at least one other poster say they got their DC clear from Frantz as well. Since I switched to my old stashes of Lauscha and Effetre Super Clear, I've not had any cracks. Last week I was losing about half of my batches, I think because I was using the remainder of my old-old DC and the first rod of my "bad" (for lack of a better word) Diamond Clear during the same couple of torch sessions.

We can't presume that the cracking problem is isolated to Ron's stock or that all people with DC problems have posted. I only saw this thread 2 or three days ago. There may be even more people with DC problems, when you consider that 1. not all LE'ers make it to the Tips section very often (like me), and 2. not all lampworkers frequent LE or other forums.

As for me, I just assumed that my controller was shot, so had I not seen this thread (only because Tracy mentioned it in another thread), I would have spent $350 on a new one for no reason. Forunately, I got to spend that money on new glass, instead! Including new Lauscha and Effetre clear

I won't be ordering Diamond Clear from Frantz anymore b/c they haven't been addressed as a source of problem DC (I'll still order most of my other glass from them, of course). I'm just a little skittish about buying more of this batch.

That said, I'm very pleased to hear that Abe has thoroughly investigated and dealt with the problems with Ron's batch. I've not dealt with him before, but from a customer's perspective, that kind of service is impressive.
Nichole, have you contacted Abe or Mike about this, or just posted in here? I haven't seen Mike post in here (I may be wrong) and I don't think Abe is on the forums that often. He gave us his phone number to call him regarding this issue. Have you tried that?
Old 2009-05-27, 1:38pm
aka Pele's Fire

I have been following this thread and I don't want to start a huge argument. That is not my intention at all even though this may stir the pot a little....sorry Abe, Mike. Nicolebeth, I don't think we can limit this problem to just the glass people got from Ron either. I bought two different lots of DC from Ron around the first of May (I would have to check my paypal to get the exact date) and SO FAR none of the DC I got from Ron has caused any issues for me....yet.....but I don't make as many beads as you guys do either. Not one has cracked with the DC so far. I started testing different colors right away when I first got my glass from Ron, and this was around the time the thread got started. However, I have been using mostly moretti and vetrofond and not silver colors. Although I have a bead made with silver blue water odd that has not cracked in three weeks. In my opinion, the problems are just too widespread to say it is the 14 pounds that Ron sent out, and too many people have had too many problems to say it is user error. I am just counting myself lucky right now that I got what appears to be good DC. I am reserving the right to bitch later should I start having problems. I do appreciate all Abe has done as well to resolve this issue.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-05-28, 12:28pm

Nicolebeth... PM me... We'll swap your glass for you.
Gina..... the shorts were not the same batch. You are safe.
Ron
Old 2009-05-28, 2:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yet another reason I love Ron!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-05-28, 2:28pm
Storm Queen

Ron really does rock. I was desperate for some DC and was actually melting shorts together. He got my order shipped lickety split.

Old 2009-05-28, 6:40pm
drinks pickle juice

Thanks Ron! The great thing about getting a job is I have money to buy glass...the bad thing is I don't have time to USE the glass! All that clear has been taunting me for so long too! I am very happy that when I finally find time I won't have to worry!
Old 2009-05-28, 8:37pm

Ron rocks and so does Abe, but no one yet has offered to replace the one pound of suspect DC I bought from Ron on Feb 4th despite my postings here in this thread and my messages to Abe.... including a copy of the Paypal transaction info. Someone said that Abe doesn't read his PM from this forum, and he is "out of town until Monday", so I guess I should be more patient. However, Ron's offer to replace glass he didn't actually supply has me wondering. Is glass purchased on Feb 4th not considered part of the problem batch?

The money I spent is not the issue for me, it wasn't that much... I simply would like to give DC another chance before I cross it off my list of clear glass that works for me (mostly encasing DH glass lately), and I don't feel like spending the money to do this.

I have the cracked beads and the remainder of the pound of DC, but if I have to package it up and make a trip to the PO and pay for shipping in order to have a replacement... not worth it. My time is worth more than money to me. I am still mourning the beads that cracked and the time it took to create them. Lucky me that I hadn't sold the beads (some cracked days later)... or I would be in the uncomfortable position of having to replace or refund. Sound familiar?

Old 2009-05-28, 9:17pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
However, Ron's offer to replace glass he didn't actually supply has me wondering. Is glass purchased on Feb 4th not considered part of the problem batch?
I can tell you that I haven't had any cracking issues at all and out of sheer curiosity I asked Ron if I possibly had glass from the "bad" batch. I purchased mine from Ron on March 5th or close to it. He told me I bought mine way before he got the "bad" batch from Abe. I'd have to say that your glass is not from this problem batch.

Old 2009-05-28, 9:36pm

The "bad" batch that I got were purchased on April 9th and April 12th.
However - I don't know at which date the problem actually started (or ended).