Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-14, 9:08am
Dichro Addict

Default dichro on black???

I have used dichro with clear on one side. I usually make a base of black, add the dichro with the dichro side down and tuck the clear edges. But how do you use the dichro that comes on black?? Maybe this is a totally stupid question, but I am not clear on how it is used. I don't actually have any dichro on black. I assume you put the black side down. Do you then have to encase the exposed dichro side? Or am I totally missing something? Is it easier to use than the dichro on clear as far as it scumming?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-14, 9:11am
Salt Box Beads

Me too! I wanna know...

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-14, 10:43am

I've used it on the vortex type marbles where you are putting the dichro side onto clear and then see it from the front. If you put the black side down you'll burn off the dichro.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas for it???
Melody

Old 2009-06-14, 1:21pm
Life is change. Love it

You can lay the black side down, then working cool, encase it, or you can swipe clear over the dichro side before using it, which makes it easier to use.

Old 2009-06-14, 8:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

I think it is mostly used in fusing, but you can cut a small piece, punty it up, case it with clear and pull stringer. And what Carolyn said.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-14, 8:40pm

You take the black strip with your tweezer and heat the black side, than lay it down on your base with the dichro side up. Direct your flame carefully, so you're not getting too close to the dichro that's already positioned on the bead. Work it cool & carefully, as the dichro is on top and not protected yet. Once it's on the base, I encase it very thin (and cool) with clear.

Ooops, guess I just second what Carolyn said ... somehow missed that answer

Old 2009-06-14, 8:45pm
Dichro Addict

Thank you all! I thought that must be how it was done but it is good to know for sure! I appreciate you answering!

Old 2009-06-14, 10:30pm

I use it dichro side up. It's pretty durable if you don't work it too hot. I love the crackle effect it gets when the flame hits it. I do that on purpose and leave the dichro exposed and un-incased for my witches hats.

Old 2009-06-15, 5:04am
Dichro Addict

Thanks Cynthia!

Old 2009-06-15, 5:47am
Yeah me!

I work it clear side down too and, like already said, I work cool and encase without letting it touch the flame. About like encasing a reduced color without losing the reduction.

Old 2009-06-15, 11:11am
Just Plain

I've done it like Cynthia said, black side down & dichro side up, and not encased.
Here is an example