Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-03-14, 10:11pm

Ellen could you please tell me where you bought your pyrometer from?
Old 2012-03-15, 1:12am
A True Woofer

I got it from Malcolm at Artco.

I first tried getting one from Dick Blick, but it never came, even after one month. So I cancelled the order last Thursday, ordered from Malcolm on Friday and it was here on Monday. Very fast service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-15, 1:31am

Thanks so much Ellen, I will order one from him. (By the way I miss your blog).
Old 2012-03-15, 5:18am
A True Woofer

Thanks, Carmen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-15, 6:41am

How much do they cost? Pyrometers. Can you rent them? I mean it's a one time deal isn't it.
Old 2012-03-15, 9:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
How much do they cost? Pyrometers. Can you rent them? I mean it's a one time deal isn't it.
You can get a good one for under $50. I've never heard of renting one. I think a pyrometer is a good investment. Controllers and thermocouples go bad and kilns go out of whack, and in those situations it's good to have a pyrometer on hand so you can get an accurate temp reading.

Old 2012-03-15, 10:01am

My all time favorite store, Harbor Freight, has a digital thermometer that you just "aim" into your kiln and it will give you a read out on the temp. It doesn't go over 1000, so if it says it's 17 degrees, then it's really 1017F. I think it probably does C , too.

They usually have great sales and coupons in the mail.

Barbara
Old 2012-03-15, 12:41pm
A True Woofer

Mine was less than $100, including shipping.

Old 2012-03-21, 6:15pm

I just heard from someone who was wondering if the tutorial will be completely focused on Fast Striking Terra, since I've expressed a preference for the fast-sriking batches and the only Terra beads I've posted on LE lately were made with the fast-striking version. I answered that question earlier in this thread but for those who overlooked that and were curious about this, I wanted to reiterate that "Taming Terra" will include step-by-step info on working both the regular (Original Formula Hand-Pulled) and fast-striking versions of Terra.

Below are some of the test beads I've made with the "regular" new Terra. Most of these were hastily made for color testing purposes only, so definitely not my best beads. But you can at least see the range of color I'll be showing you how to get from the "regular" version of Terra in the tutorial.

Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks,

Old 2012-03-21, 7:15pm
Queen Tut ;)

Isn't it March 31st yet? Dagnabit!

Old 2012-03-22, 6:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Isn't it March 31st yet? Dagnabit!
LOL! Almost there. Thanks for the enthusiasm Jenne, I find it motivating.

Old 2012-03-22, 4:17pm
Heart of Flame

Only nine more days to wait!! LOL

My fast striking Terra arrived today and is calling out to me!

Old 2012-03-22, 4:33pm
Plumb

And there's going to be Terra Friday!!!

Old 2012-03-23, 6:07am
Plumb

And it's there...on the site...both kinds...

Old 2012-03-26, 5:45pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

Cant wait!!!! Whoo hoo
Old 2012-03-29, 7:24am

Just wanted to let you guys know that due to a last-minute content addition, I've pushed back the release of this tutorial to next Thursday, April 5th. I apologize for the additional wait but can assure you that the new section will be well worth the delay.

If you preordered the e-book, you should have an email from me with the details.

Thanks,

Old 2012-03-30, 6:43pm
Burning Fingers!

It's not a problem Kim.

/
/
/

Old 2012-04-01, 7:36pm
Steph

I got my order of Terra at the weekend, and I ordered the Fast Striking stuff too, but notice that it says on the label Fast Striking Machine Pulled - not handpulled - have I got the same stuff?

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-04-01, 9:46pm
Heart of Flame

I don't have any problem with the delay either Kim. I appreciate you wanting to do everything you can to make it a complete tutorial and I know it will be high quality based on your other work! Thanks for letting us know about the delay - handled very professionally, in my opinion.

Old 2012-04-02, 5:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd2crv View Post
I don't have any problem with the delay either Kim. I appreciate you wanting to do everything you can to make it a complete tutorial and I know it will be high quality based on your other work! Thanks for letting us know about the delay - handled very professionally, in my opinion.
Thanks, Darryle. I hated to delay it but when I had the idea for the new section I knew I couldn't release the tutorial without it. Almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
I got my order of Terra at the weekend, and I ordered the Fast Striking stuff too, but notice that it says on the label Fast Striking Machine Pulled - not handpulled - have I got the same stuff?
Jed sent me some of the machine pulled Fast Striking Terra to try before he released it and I found it very very similar to the hand-pulled FST. Maybe a tiny bit slower to strike, but not even so much that most people will notice. Same nice color range. I don't know if the batch you bought is the same one I tested and there are always going to be variations between batches, but I can say that the machine-pulled FST that I tested worked just as well for my purposes as the hand-pulled FST.

Old 2012-04-02, 7:02am
Steph

Thanks Kim, now just waiting patiently for the tut!!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-04-02, 9:27am
"Sinners have soul too"

I was hoping that the release of the Machine Pulled FST would be the reason for the tutorial delay... Yay! =)

Old 2012-04-02, 9:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I was hoping that the release of the Machine Pulled FST would be the reason for the tutorial delay... Yay! =)
Actually the delay didn't have anything to do with that, though I was glad to see Jed put up the MPFST (jeez, do we need simpler names for these new batches, or what?).

I decided to add a new section to the tutorial at the last minute, and the section required a lot more testing and photography. That's why I pushed back the release.

Back to work.

Old 2012-04-02, 10:26am
It's all about the color.

Glad you decided to delay the release. I was planning to pre-order, then I spaced it off till late last night. I was kicking myself when I realized what I had done, so when I went to order and saw that there was a delay and I could still pre-order, I smiled. Thanks Kim. Now back to work with you.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2012-04-04, 4:31pm

Last day to get the preorder discount, folks! I'll be releasing the tutorial tomorrow evening, so will end the discount sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!

Old 2012-04-05, 5:17am

It's the Fifth!!! Cannot wait till this evening
Old 2012-04-05, 9:03am

I'm still putting the finishing touches on the tutorial. I'm still hoping to have it done by late this evening. In a worst case scenario, it will be released sometime tomorrow.

Please know that I feel terrible about how long this is taking me -- I'm super stressed about it and I'm so sorry, everyone. I just really underestimated the amount of time it was going to take me to get this one finished. I know you're all tapping your feet waiting and I'm truly working as fast as I can. I just don't want to rush to the extent that the tutorial is sloppy or has errors.

Thanks so much for your continued patience -- all of those who've preordered will get the tutorial by email tonight or tomorrow the SECOND it's finished.

Kim

Old 2012-04-05, 9:46am

Don't stress. I am certain it will be well worth the wait!
Old 2012-04-05, 9:47am
doyenne of the homebodies

Well, you have to make beads and they have to be just right, then you have to photograph them and the photos have to be just right. Then you have to write down what you did in a way that other people can follow step by step. Then you have to design and create a document.

All of that will save ME lots of time, so the way I figure it is, if any tutorial takes a little longer than expected, I'm still way ahead.

Andrea
Old 2012-04-05, 5:15pm
Knob Creek Glass

Ditto