Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-11-07, 9:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Teesa View Post

Hi De~ This is my solution to the bent hose situation that my DH didn't like. I detached the "arm" from the "flat plate" and rotated 180 degrees and reattached. Minimal tools required - a flat screw driver and adjustable end wrench. It did bring the torch closer to me which at this point has not been a problem. It works for me.
That is MUCH MUCH better than the way it comes - thanks for posting your pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-07, 9:27am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oh, Theresa - you didn't forget me! Thanks so much for the photo! I'll admit, having worked so long on a Hot Head, I'm going to want to tilt that puppy UP - but it looks like with this configuration, it still will bend the hoses, but not as extremely as when the "arm" is pointing (slanting) the other direction!

Thanks so much for doing this for me - and all of us!

De in CA
You will see when you get it how bent the hoses are when you tilt it back. Her solution makes a huge difference .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-08, 12:58am
...loves glass

Whoehooo... ... I finaly got my Cricket yesterday!!

It got hold up at costums for more than 2 weeks because GTT forgot to put the invoice with the package !

It got me al lot off extra time, calls and an extra bill of 120$ (and this for an initial invoice of 331$)

But I've already forgotten that because today and tomorrow I'm only leaving my little studio just to eat and sleep

Have a nice weekend,

Jona

Old 2008-11-08, 11:36am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Optional elbows (for the hose connections) are available for those of you who like to point the torch more up and down.
Can you please direct us to where and from whom these can be ordered...if it's from GTT directly, I'll request that they be added to my purchase when I get "the call" that my Pink/Black torch is ready!

Thanks so much for posting - I think this would solve a lot of problems before they even start!

De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-08, 12:19pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Can you please direct us to where and from whom these can be ordered...if it's from GTT directly, I'll request that they be added to my purchase when I get "the call" that my Pink/Black torch is ready!

Thanks so much for posting - I think this would solve a lot of problems before they even start!

De in CA
Yes, they are from GTT directly. I would call them ASAP about it. I'm not sure if they are made into the manifold or if they can be added on later.

So, anyone interested in going with these should ask about them when ordering.
Old 2008-11-08, 2:14pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks, Kim!!! I shot my GTT rep., Cindy, an email! I also sent a link to this thread, so she can take a peek...

Hope I'm not too late (if they ARE made integrally part of the torch) - hopefully not, but I'll work with whatever I get!

I'm excited about this...!!!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-11-08, 3:47pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachimi View Post
Whoehooo... ... I finaly got my Cricket yesterday!!

It got hold up at costums for more than 2 weeks because GTT forgot to put the invoice with the package !

It got me al lot off extra time, calls and an extra bill of 120$ (and this for an initial invoice of 331$)

But I've already forgotten that because today and tomorrow I'm only leaving my little studio just to eat and sleep

Have a nice weekend,
I think the problem was with the customs office - they lost the invoice. GTT sent the invoice with the torch. They are very careful when packing, especially items that are being shipped overseas. When notified of the problem, they faxed a duplicate invoice over right away. I don't understand why they would still charge you more than the regular duties and fees. That's government bureaucracy for you.

You got two Crickets, didn't you? Have fun torching this weekend!!!
Old 2008-11-08, 3:49pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Thanks, Kim!!! I shot my GTT rep., Cindy, an email! I also sent a link to this thread, so she can take a peek...

Hope I'm not too late (if they ARE made integrally part of the torch) - hopefully not, but I'll work with whatever I get!

I'm excited about this...!!!

DeAnne in CA

I'm so glad you're excited!!!
Old 2008-11-09, 2:10am
...loves glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I think the problem was with the customs office - they lost the invoice. GTT sent the invoice with the torch. They are very careful when packing, especially items that are being shipped overseas. When notified of the problem, they faxed a duplicate invoice over right away. I don't understand why they would still charge you more than the regular duties and fees. That's government bureaucracy for you.

You got two Crickets, didn't you? Have fun torching this weekend!!!
It is possible that they lost it, (I dont think they are verry smart there at costums ) but I 'm not sure there was no pocket for an invoice or in the pocket on top was just the shipping info (also with the value but that's not enough for costums)
GTT faxed me the invoice immediatly when I asked them.

Costums charges about 21% (about 70-80$) of taxes and the rest are just costs from them and from the deliverycompany.
It's not fair but you just pay. If you are lucky your package passes costums without any extra costs. You just never know here

indeed I got 2 but 1 is for a friend.

I installled the cricket yesterday evening and it was just great.
I had to run to keep up with the glass

Jona

Old 2008-11-09, 10:03am
birdergirl ~o~

Why did some peeps have to buy new hoses?
Is it because they had screw~ons hoses and the torch only accepts the barb type connection?
Can't the screw on end be cut and then used with a barb & clamp?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-11-09, 10:54am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Why did some peeps have to buy new hoses?
Is it because they had screw~ons hoses and the torch only accepts the barb type connection?
Can't the screw on end be cut and then used with a barb & clamp?
Yes, you just cut the end off and use a clamp.

Old 2008-11-09, 2:11pm
birdergirl ~o~

thanks Shawnette!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2008-11-10, 3:02pm
birdergirl ~o~

Another question:
Has anyone who is using the torch using Flashback arrestors on the hose?
Would the FBA's still be effective (when needed) if they are a foot from the torch?
I use them both on my Propane and on my oxy con hose.
Oh has anyone gotten a *** gold *** one and do you like the color ? Is it metallic or flat color?
Thanks !!!

Old 2008-11-10, 7:05pm

Sam's got one (he had it set up down in Rockland @ Playing With Fire last weekend!)...it's kinda shiny, but not really heavy on the sparkle, if you know what I mean? Kind of like a gold car....(I like the purple better, but I'm a freak for anything purple, so...there ya go!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-11, 8:06am
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks Lynne!

Old 2008-11-11, 8:12am

Put myself on the list with GTT last night by email! I'm waiting for a purple Cricket with the elbow, hopefully in time for Christmas. Woohoo!
Old 2008-11-12, 3:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Another question:
Has anyone who is using the torch using Flashback arrestors on the hose?
Would the FBA's still be effective (when needed) if they are a foot from the torch?
I use them both on my Propane and on my oxy con hose.
Oh has anyone gotten a *** gold *** one and do you like the color ? Is it metallic or flat color?
Thanks !!!
I don't have my Cricket torch yet - and decided to just put the arrestors at the sources (i.e., at the oxy and propane tanks) with quick disconnects (while I had my Mini cc). My understanding, though, is it's fine to put them at the torch or just off the torch (assuming you have a length of hose connected right at the torch, then connected to the flashbacks, then onto the fuel/oxy tanks) as the sooner in line you have the arrestors, the less further things are going to burn before reaching them. I'm sure having them 1' away from the torch is a better set up that I have - which would allow the burn-through for about 8 feet to the flashbacks!

Best to have the arrestors, though, than not at all - which is totally not safe in my opinion, no matter what torch (surface mix or internal mix) you have!

De in CA

Old 2008-11-19, 4:55pm

O.K. After reading all 377 entries in this thread I think I might want one I am currently using a Bobcat with two used medical oxycons. Would there be an advantage to the Cricket/Kitten over the setup I already have?
Thanks,
Grady
Old 2008-11-19, 5:09pm
PyronamixK

It depends on what you want to do. The Bobcat is hotter, but the Cricket can get a smaller detail flame and you can get a more oxidizing flame (depending on how string your concentrators are - if they are weaker, you'll get more out of them on a Cricket).

I think everyone needs a Cricket, even if they already have another torch. They're just so cute, it's good to have a back-up torch, and you can't go wrong for the price.
Old 2008-11-19, 5:13pm

I'd like tohave one too Maybe Santa will bring one lol If not Santa, then maybe the birthday fairy, Cupid, a leprechaun, the Easter bunny....
Old 2009-02-24, 10:12am

Smile

So...has anyone else gotten a Cricket and have pictures to show?

~
~
~

Old 2009-02-24, 10:28am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaricaBeads View Post
So...has anyone else gotten a Cricket and have pictures to show?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=cricket

Old 2009-03-19, 6:43pm

Default Ordered Cricket

I am sooooo excited! Just ordered my new Cricket torch and will be looking forward to moving up from HH....now have to get all the tubings and tanks....Hubby is putting up stove vent/fan this week so all should be good to go soon. Lilhoot
Old 2009-03-19, 6:50pm
PyronamixK

Yay!