LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2009-04-14, 2:27pm
da General

Default SWIRL - NEW e-book!!! – on gravity swirl, bicone shaping and silver glass

Special introductory price for the month of April only on our Blog!

Many of you know that I have been working on a few e-books . . . this is the first one finished!

Name:  Swirl_cover_sm.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  23.3 KB

This is a three-in-one tutorial for both newer and more experienced lampworkers. Using the techniques on how to make a gravity swirl bead, I will share with you how to shape a perfect bicone AND show you how to work with using both striking and reducing silver glass on a single bead. Please do note that the silver glass part of this tutorial is secondary.

For those of you who are not ready for silver glass, I will show you examples of beads made with regular production COE104 glass. Steps 1 through 32 will remain the same, you can easily follow along using non-silver glass alternatives.

This tutorial is set up so that you can follow the step-by-step instructions easily on the main section of the page with additional tips on the side bar. When you are at the torch, you can just concentrate on the tasks at hand and not have to read the unnecessary text.

There is a lot of information after the tutorial, including my favorite - Shaping 101! As many of you know . . . my passion is silver glass . . . but my obsession is perfectly shaped and executed forms. If you have ever wondered how I made my beads stand up on both ends perfectly perpendicular to the table top, here is your chance to find out! I firmly believe that this is an important foundation for new lampworkers to acquire. So even if you are not ready for silver glass, you can benefit greatly from the Shaping 101 portion of this e-book!

In order to fully utilize this tutorial, you will need to make a bead that’s about 2"/50mm long. Having said that, you may choose to only do the middle swirl and omit the two side swirls completely. In this case, you may work on a shorter bead.

This e-book is 21 pages with over 50 images. File size is 2.8mb and is available for instant download for an introductory price of US$18.00 until the end of April on our blog:

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com

Special Message
For those of you who are waiting for my Silver Twisties Recipes e-Book, now that SWIRL is completed, I will be working diligently on that next! Thank you for your support and patience!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-04-14 at 2:43pm.
Old 2009-04-14, 3:02pm

Just placed my order! Can't wait for my download - thanks, Hayley!

Shirley
Old 2009-04-14, 3:11pm
da General

Thank you, Shirley! Let me know if you have any questions . . . this is my first e-book!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-14, 3:25pm

Thumbs up

Hayley, I just printed a copy and it looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it out!!

Shirley
Old 2009-04-14, 3:28pm
da General

Do post pictures!!!

If you are interested in the bicone shaping part of the e-book, I am here to help you trouble shoot!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-14, 3:38pm

I've really got to stop coming to this room!! This makes number 15! Going to go read it now.
And of course I'm definately interested in your next tut on twisties. Keep 'em coming. It's only money after all!!!!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-04-14, 3:44pm
da General

lol! Donna . . . THANK YOU! Do let me know if you have questions, need clarifications, or just want to have me do some trouble shooting!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-14, 4:42pm
Knob Creek Glass

It is wonderful!! Thank you Hayley.
Old 2009-04-14, 4:54pm

This looks awesome!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-04-14, 6:42pm
frm Kronos to Kairos time

A fantastic eBook! Clear and detailed instructions with beautiful photo steps. Wonderful work Hayley!
Thank you! Carol at marlabeads

Old 2009-04-15, 12:31am
Old Time Bead Maker

Hi Hayley,
You did a good job. I must admit that after 18 years of lampworking, I sometimes let my ends go...;( I guess sometimes you just get caught up in everything else that is going on with you bead...as in the case of the silver glass, ends sometimes drop in priority. I will work on that more diligently. Thank you for reminding me!!!
I really like the idea of a more controlled and patterned gravity swirl bead. More artistic I do believe!!! Any baby can just dab on a color here and there and then let it droop...
Ok....not a criticism....just too many years of being a school teacher and proof reading everything.....Transparent Orange vs Red... and one other little one... I'm not nit picking honest.... It's a beautiful tutorial and you should be and I'm sure you are, proud of yourself. I'm proud to own your first and look forward to many, many more....
Can't give you enough stars for your work!!! (Opps...there's the school teacher again...
Hugs and much respect,

Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2009-04-15, 9:45am

Great job there, Hayley!!!

We have NEW listings on our online
, and
!
Old 2009-04-15, 10:07am
da General

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Sue, I really appreciate the feedback. I did make a booboo on transparent red vs. orange! All fixed now. Anyone who got the one with the inconsistency, I will be happy to email you the revised version! Let me know!

I would LOVE to know what "one other little one" is . . . running to pm you, sue! Happy to get as many stars at you would give me!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-15, 1:32pm

Dearest Hayley, I'm happy to send you some stars as well! *****

MartinIa

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2009-04-16, 3:19am

This is a top-notch debut tutorial, Hayley, and the instant download is super fast. Great job!!

Old 2009-04-19, 5:48pm

Terrific tutorial! Here's my first attempts and I was very happy with all of them. Thanks Hayley!!!
The third one is the first time I've been able to get color from Raku!
The fourth and fifth are the same bead. Love the colors I got.
My fav is the first though.
Attached Images

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-04-19, 7:20pm
da General

Donna - your beads put a grin on my face from ear to ear! Thank YOU for posting them! I am just sooooooo thrilled! Great to see that you got such wonderful colors from Raku (really helps heating the snot out of the glass to strike, doesn't it? lol!) But I do agree with you that the first bead is TDF!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-20, 1:53pm

BTW the last one is Pandora and it's the first time I got any color out of it too!! So you helped me with a couple of colors and shaping too. Using your bicone shaping method helped me to get a better shape on my flat focals, more consistant and less abstract. Also better ends, no sharp edges.
By far the easiest and funniest tut I have so far!!! Thanks again for putting this together.
How much longer till the twisty one is ready?

Old 2009-04-20, 9:37pm
da General

Donna - thank you for the kind words! I am so happy that the bicone shaping helped you with your focals!!!

Gravity swirl is fun, huh? I love droopy, molten glass!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-04, 2:40pm
Tacki

My first swirl bead from the tutorial:

It stands on its own on both ends! I've never been able to do that before. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial Hayley!

Old 2009-05-04, 2:47pm
da General

That's awesome, Traci! Isn't this the same bead I like in SE4?

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-04, 2:57pm
Tacki

It sure is! The outside of it has a little bit of bead release dust and water spots in the picture, it's really not that cloudy.
Old 2009-05-19, 9:51am
Glassy Broad :-)

Hayley, thanks so much for making this tutorial! I'm printing mine out at this moment, I LOVE the instant download, as I'm an instant gratification kinda gal, LOL!
I cannot wait to get to the studio today to try this, hopefully now my ends will work...being a newbie still, it's something that I really need to work on, my new mantra is, "it can be done" LOL!
I'm just a bit giddy aren't I? Sorry for that, but I try to learn something new everyday, and today, well this is what I'm going to learn. (and yes, maybe tomorrow and the next day too)

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-05-19, 10:11am
da General

Nita! Thank you! I love instant download too . . . I used to have to manually email every pdfs and then have the files lost in cyberspace often!

I can't wait to see what you come up with! Do post pictures. And if you have any questions and need trouble shooting, just ask!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-19, 12:06pm

Thanks Hayley, just downloaded my version. Can't wait to experiment with it

Old 2009-05-19, 12:57pm
da General

I thought that was you! Thank you, Judith! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-19, 7:47pm

Ok, so I spent all day (and I do mean allllllllllllll day) working on my ends. The swirls came out great. 4 hours on one bead! Gosh, I think I'll get it, eventually that is! Good tips in there Hayley, I'm sure it's just me...*sigh* More tomorrow for sure, and pix from today.
Nita

Old 2009-05-19, 7:58pm
da General

FOUR hours on one bead? Wow! That's dedication! I take it that the ends turn out good after four hours? (I hope!!!!)

I also hope that this doesn't scare away potential buyers of my e-book! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-20, 7:57pm

Ok, first and foremost, (LOL!!!) I am a newbie! And yes Hayley I AM dedicated to getting this right!
here is a pic of my first swirl, I really love it, so much so I'm keeping it, well that and the fact that the ends are wonky, hehehe! Today went great! kiln is full of nicely shaped ends, but I couldn't figure out what to DO with them, if it's not one thing it's another!

Please! Anyone reading this, please know, that her tutorial is VERY well written, has beautiful photos, and great tips on three different things. It's a must have for sure!!!

That being said, here is my baby!
(be kind ok?)
Nita

Old 2009-05-20, 8:09pm
da General

Wow! That really is awesome, Nita! Is this the 4-hour baby? Can't wait to see what are cooking in the kiln right now! Post more pics please!!!

|
|
|
|