No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-21, 8:42pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default Round?

can someone give me some tips on getting a bead round - and by round i mean like a ball

i can do perfectly balanced round donuts but true round is eluding me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2009-06-21 at 9:35pm.
Old 2009-06-21, 8:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

more heat

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-06-21, 9:08pm

The trick is to start with a barrel then add glass wraps to each side and keep melting it in until you have a perfect ball.

Old 2009-06-21, 9:25pm

I decided it was easier to use this, particularly when it comes to making multiples of the same size:
http://www.arrowsprings.com/6-in-One...arble_Mold.jpg

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-06-21, 9:30pm

I'm using the cg beadroller, which really helped me make perfect rounds.

Old 2009-06-21, 9:34pm
Unmedicated since '62

I really want to do it without a mold

ok, so start with a barrel - i'll try that tonight

Old 2009-06-21, 9:55pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Make TWO donuts. One right next to each other.
Then direct the heat at the area BETWEEN the
two donuts. They will merge together to make
a nice round bead.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-06-22, 12:13am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I make them the same way Jessicajane does, make a barrel and add glass to the left and right of the barrel. You have to make sure the hight of your bead equals the with of your bead, that way it will be round. If it's 'higher' then wide, it will be a donut, if it's wider then 'high' it will be an olive/lemon/football shape.

Also the glass will flow towards the middle of your bead so make sure you heat the sides properly, the glass will flow towards the flame, so where ever you heat your bead, that is where the glass will flow. Clear as mud right

Old 2009-06-22, 12:28am

Try this technique that Deesigned beads put in her blog! Not only is it funny, it works! It is in the March 11th post.

http://deesignedbeads.blogspot.com/s...&max-results=7

Jen
Old 2009-06-22, 4:46am
Tassie Devil

Deb - Hi! If you use the method by Karen Hardy (post 7) it works every time. You dont get the beautiful dimpled ends like with donuts, but the bead is a perfect round.

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2009-06-22, 5:43am
where is that UPS man?

I USE THE 2 DONUT TECHNIQUE, AND A MOLD DEPENDING ON HOW LAZY I AM..... wILL HAVE TO TRY THE BARREL HMMM.....

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2009-06-22, 4:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

thanks guys - i played last night and got some roundish donuts - i'll try the other methods tonight.

i have another question - i'll start another thread though i think......

Old 2009-06-22, 4:48pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i don't quite make a barrel, i just wind on all the glass (like making a donut) but make the base slightly narrower than i want the final bead to be. i don't marver just keep heating & spinning and let gravity shape it until it's perfectly round.

then i heat one end to either make the hole flat or dimpled (i generally prefer flat) let it cool, then repeat for the other end. reheat it again if necessary to round out, et voila, round bead!

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-06-22, 4:55pm
offically down under

I just melt the end of a rod until it flops 2 or 3 times into a good sized gather and then I just wrap the glob onto a mandrel. Using the rod to move the glass,I continue to wrap until it is round. Much MUCH faster then when I made them the barrel way.

Old 2009-06-22, 5:02pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I just melt the end of a rod until it flops 2 or 3 times into a good sized gather and then I just wrap the glob onto a mandrel. Using the rod to move the glass,I continue to wrap until it is round. Much MUCH faster then when I made them the barrel way.
thats kinda what i'm doing now except i think i'm not using a big enough gather - i can make small round beads ok but what i want is something the size of a 10c piece