No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-07, 3:45pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Default Ideas for a gold-colored bead

I need to make a big bead that is gold in color. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create this color?

Opal yellow might be a possibility, but I want to present my customer with more than one choice. If there's a recipe or a particular rod that someone knows about, I would love to know it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by evvybuns; 2009-07-07 at 3:49pm.
Old 2009-07-07, 3:54pm
Tacki

Aurae from Double Helix.
Old 2009-07-07, 4:06pm

I second the Aurae:

Or if your customer doesn't like the full-blown metallic shine, how about Iris Gold powder. Depending on your way to reduce, you can achieve a lighter, more transparent look or a darker golden-brown shimmer.

Old 2009-07-07, 4:13pm
Never give up

Wow I love the color of the Icarus Beads Judith. Great job.
Old 2009-07-07, 4:21pm

Pixie dust comes in gold color. If you encase copper dichro with straw yellow, it's a fabulous deep gold. I have a pic somewhere...

Old 2009-07-07, 6:45pm

Everybody, thank you so much for the suggestions. How convenient that Frantz has Aurae on sale right now!

Quite honestly, I had not read any of the threads concerning Aurae. Judith, you have created amazing beads with it.

While I'm waiting for some Aurae, I might encase medium topaz with pineapple sparkle to see what happens.

Old 2009-07-07, 7:04pm
Now in living color

Aurae

Jinx

Old 2009-07-07, 7:43pm

Whoa!

Old 2009-07-08, 7:36am
Lampworkaholic!

Olympia Rain reduces to a lovely transparent pale golden yellow. The Aurae is definitely gold bling but essentially opaque when reduced.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-07-08, 8:31am
Sorry for party rockin'

Aurae on clear, reduced

Old 2009-07-08, 10:14am
da General

If your customers want a more "antique gold" look, put Aurae over a darker transparent base:

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-08, 10:50am

How do you get the gold from Aurae when the rod is a purpley color? Is this another type of aurae?
Old 2009-07-08, 11:26am
da General

Maysle - Aurae is a reducing silver glass. By exposing Aurae to a reduction flame, you can get different effects depending on the size of the reduction flame and how many times/long you reduce your bead.

We have a lot of information as well as tutorials on working with silver glass on our blog under the label Silver Glass 101 if you are interested:

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com/searc...%20glass%20101

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-08, 12:14pm

Cool, thanks Hayley, I will have a look. Sounds interesting.
Old 2009-07-08, 6:15pm
Senior Member | Jenelle

hmmm topaz over silver.... or I love glass diversions frit blends Sunglow & Light Iris gold...

|
|
|
|

Old 2009-07-09, 1:59pm

Everybody, thank you so much for the ideas!

I played around with encasing the various Effetre topazes with pineapple sparkle. Those results weren't good. However, just for grins I encased pineapple sparkle with medium topaz and came up with something reasonably close to a gold, I think. However, I'll let my customer make the call.

I'll still order some Aurae for fun.

Old 2009-07-13, 8:42am

I have always had good luck with iris gold frit! Or light iris gold frit!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-15, 4:41am
burnin' glass just becuz

another vote for iris gold powder - it's beautiful, shimmery and can give a wide range of colours when reduced.

...and it doesn't cost $100/lb.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland