No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-04-27, 9:52pm
Corgi Cult Member

Default Noise reduction for ventilation

Well as some of you may know from my past posts, my DH and I have had so much fun with ventilation over the years, we decided it was time for another headache.

Last week DH found time to switch the 4" PVC with the 8" glavanized. Well, that was the plan. Increasing the hole in the brick was more difficult than planned, and then the original installation of the fan caused many new problems. Yep, the installation guy had some obstuctions added in that we didn't know about until we started tearing things apart. We came to the conclusion that at this point it would make sense to replace the fan with a more powerful one (638CFM) and replace all duct work (incase he added any other unknown surprises.)

Fan came today. Appears to be good quality. Was wondering if there is a way to make the entire system run more quietly? Build an insulated box around fan? Since the duct work will only run 5-6 ft, could the fan be mounted outside the house and a box for weather protection be built around it? I like the outdoor idea if I can figure out a good way to weather proof without restricting air flow. It would solve some serious mounting problems.

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 2006-04-28, 5:31am
Safety ALWAYS

I do not recommend building a box around a fan - fans rely on air circulation for cooling, and since you are running at least "warm" air through the duct work, temperature control can be a problem.

An outside mounting is possible, however you have to be aware of the issues involved - moisture protection for an electrical device (use a ground fault circuit to protect it and you), insect control, etc. It's generally a good idea to use a fan designed for outside use when mounting outside. If the fan is a general purpose fan, then usually, they are automatically designed for outside use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-28, 9:20am
Corgi Cult Member

Mike, I knew I could rely on you for an answer!! Wish you lived closer - I'd just hire you to fix my mess.

The fan is an Elicent model #200B. If I understand correctly they are used a lot for hydroponics. Yes, we would use a ground fault circuit!

Thanks!!
Kathy
Old 2006-04-29, 7:19am

That is a good fan. Yes that is probably the most common household use for this type of fan. The smaller ones make kicking bathroom exaust fans.
B
Old 2006-04-29, 7:23am

Thought ya might like to know......That fan is designed to go in-line. Meaning it should have pipes n both sides to run proprely. It will be pretty loud till you have it in the pipe, and may burn out also if you dont.
B
Old 2006-05-04, 2:41pm
Corgi Cult Member

OK, I have a picture of how I installed the fan. I did this before I saw Boroburner's post. I hope it will be alright. Our ceiling had so many various "things" in the way that it limited where I could mount it without putting extra bends in the ductwork. The ductwork is all 8" galvanized. It exits the house about 5 feet after the fan. I didn't go out the nearby window because we already had the big o hole in the side of the house from the first version. There is an elbow after the fan and one on the outside of the house. We have a raised cement patio so the elbow was necessary to direct the fumes away from the cement. The fan does a wonderful job of exhausting the fumes. Now I cannot smell anything at all!! It is rather noisy inside the box work area but not unbearable - I just like quiet.

I'm really proud of how I adapted my scrawny little kitchen hood with the extension on the front - so don't laugh too hard!

Boroburner - Even though there is only about 4-5" of duct on the inhale side before the fan, the fan does not seem to work harder or "warm up". I've been checking. I'm sure it would be quieter further away but too many installation problems existed. Hopefully I won't live to regret it. I rarely would have it turned on longer than 4 hrs without a rest.

I sure do hope this solves my ventilation woes!! Thanks for everyones help!!

Kathy
Old 2006-05-04, 7:03pm

That Is looking really good!!!! Nice n; bright too.

Ill bet its nice to be able to breath. And you wont ever have to upgrade if you get a bigger torch.

Ive got the equivilent fan on 5 of my stations. I found the elbow b4 the fan cuts the noise by quite a bit, w/o restricting the efficency too much. Still if I had to make one bitch about the system I have it would be the noise too.

Have fun in there!!!!!!
B
Old 2006-05-04, 9:52pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks! I'm so glad it's passing the test this time. Ventilation has been my nightmare and has restricted how much I torched over the years. I'll gladly live with the noise to ensure I'm not killing myself or the family. Guess I need an IPOD now! How long till Christmas? Actually, I'm starting to get used to the jet engine sound - smooth - just loud.
Appreciate the help!
Kathy
Old 2006-05-04, 11:39pm

NE time. The Groteck's I have are a lil quiter than the elicent but barely.
Happy healthy lamping
B
Old 2006-05-05, 4:54pm

I use earplugs with mine - once I got used to the noise difference with them in - it quieted my HH! - it's been great.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-05-05, 8:16pm
Corgi Cult Member

May have to consider a pair. I do remember the hiss the HH makes.
Old 2006-05-05, 8:21pm
Corgi Cult Member

Really wish I knew how that last post got posted????? I could swear I didn't hit the button.
Anyway, I do remember the hiss the HH makes. One of the biggest surprises I had when I switched torches was how quiet the new one was. The fan is a lot noiser than the HH but a much different sound. After a few weeks I'll probably not notice it anymore and quit whinning.