No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-18, 2:41pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default Do you tumble your beads?

I want to tumble my beads to give them an extra sparkle and wonder if there is a reason not to tumble. Any advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-04-18, 6:02pm

I can't see any reason to tumble them. A flame polished surface is as sparkly as it's going to get.

Robert
Old 2010-04-18, 6:06pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Well, yes, but then cleaning the bead release out, it seems after the hole is cleaned, it takes forever to get the muckiness off. I was thinking if I throw them in a tumble with a dab of dawn if that would make them sparkle. Plus, I was also curious if I made a piece of jewelry with my lampwork, if tumbling would hurt or etch the bead.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-04-19, 6:23am
state-eternal change

Yeah, it probably would clean them nice. I let mine sit in a bowl of water with a bit of vinegar added in, and then rinse them off in a colander.

Old 2010-04-19, 6:34am

I have tumbled my beads made into jewelry in order to shine the silver, but I hadn't thought about cleaning the beads that way. I usually use a soft cloth to wipe the beads after they are dry and that takes care of bead poop residue.

The only problem I have had when tumbling the beads was that a bit of the reduction 'shine' on one bead was lost when I tumbled the jewelry, so I try to not tumble the really iridescent beads for more than a few minutes.

I have tumbled beads with 'protrusions' (aka dots) and had no problem, but the ones that really look fragile, such as my flowers, I only tumble for a brief time.
Tina